Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Tough tittie?

txav8r
txav8r Posts: 153
Pardon the expression...I am getting better at my egging.  But I did chicken breasts tonight, and pulled them as I passed 160 IT.  They seemed tough, not dry, but tough.  Could it just be the chicken?  They were boneless/skinless breasts with rib meat attached.  I had a heck of a time getting them to temp.  I was doing Kristie's Roasted Cauliflower in Gruyere Sauce along with grilled asparagus.  The Cauliflower was excellent, as was the asparagus (except for a few ends that were stringy) and had a great crunch and flavor.  The flavor of the chicken was great as was the moisture, but they just appeared tough.  However, compared to hundreds of previous gasser cooks, these were perfect!  But the first chicken breasts I did were moist, tender, and even good as leftovers.  I don't know about these...
Just far enough north of DFW to be "rural"...and close enough to be urban, depending on my mood.

Comments

• Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    edited November 2013
    For bone in chicken breasts, I usually go to 155. Tender, juicy and flavorful. Not sure what a 'boneless with rib meat attached is'. I thought rib meat attached referred to bone in.
  • I suspect it is the meat you are starting with. For example, Publix offers their normal chicken breasts, and at a third of the cost more, they offer the "Greenwise" chicken breasts. Comparatively, there is a huge difference in texture and flavor between the two. As with most things, you get what you pay for, but there are a lot of variables.
    LBGE, Weber OTG w/ Rotisserie, Weber Genesis S-330, Chargriller Duo, AR-15, AK-47
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,432
    Maybe the bird's name was Ah-nold.  

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure