Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT- Guam

I'm a fire medic for dept of defense and it looks like I may be selected to go to Guam soon. Will be 2 years and wife doesn't think it's a good idea... Looking for insight from anyone that is familiar with the island and overseas assignments...
Thanks
Beaufort, SC

Comments

• I did a job there.  They speak English, use US money, and you can go to McDonald's if you want.  Lots of Japanese tourists.  Beautiful beaches but the island is not pretty like Hawaiian islands.  I wondered around all over the place and always felt comfortable.  I do not know the housing situation, but the local economy would cease to exist if the Navy and Air Force left.  They have long droughts with water rationing, massive wild fires, earthquakes, and super cyclones to keep things interesting.  Most military buy appliances and cars from those departing, but they are also available there.  Cost are high compared to CONUS.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• Awesome, thx Doc
    Beaufort, SC
  • I was there in the early 80's and I loved it! Nice weather for the most part…well until the rainy season.
    I think in the 18 months I was there I felt a handful of tiny earthquakes. I'd say they were more like tremors.
    The do have rat snakes and I HATE SNAKES!!!!!!!!!!
    All that being said I'd go back in a heartbeat!!!!
    Nowhere Indiana
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    They speak English, use US money... In other words, it's not El Paso.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Four years ago, Congressman Hank Johnson (GA D) expressed serious concerns that Gaum could tip over and capsize.  You may want to reach out to Hank's office in DC to find out more details.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v7XXVLKWd3Q
    Atlanta, GA and Watts Bar Lake, TN
    2 LBGEs
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    Does your spouse go with you? Kids? Egg? Not necessarily in that order :)

Makes a big difference if family can go with you, or if you have have to worry about kids' school and such.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • henapple
    Evidently hank has been hooking up with Marion Berry... Not sure what's more disturbing.. Him or the dumbasses that voted for the moron.

• henapple said:
    Evidently hank has been hooking up with Marion Berry... Not sure what's more disturbing.. Him or the dumbasses that voted for the moron.
    the voters
    Atlanta, GA and Watts Bar Lake, TN
    2 LBGEs
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    henapple said:

With that logic we are all dumbasses. They're all morons in the House.
  • Wife can go, I have no kids and egg, kayaks Etc can all go... They pay for all there and back. Housing is paid for also... I think it's mostly tax free and I have return rights to my base after two years... We are trying to buy a house now and I think if I get the transfer order, I'm thinking I will buy before we go so we don't miss out interest rate and prices.

Dogs are my main concern being quarantined for up to 120days
    Beaufort, SC
  • henapple

henapple said:

With that logic we are all dumbasses. They're all morons in the House.
    Yeah... But, the Island is going to tip over?
  • brzelt
    brzelt Posts: 62

With your situation it would be a piece of cake.  Especially if you like or want to dive/snorkel.
    Bruce
    L BGE
    Kennesaw, GA
  • Been through there before and had a great time!

Not the family oriented kind of time though. :D
    Gittin' there...
  • brzelt said:

With your situation it would be a piece of cake.  Especially if you like or want to dive/snorkel.
    Oh yeah! Diving was huge over there. There's all kinds of wrecks from WWII that were hot diving spots.
    Also make sure you get a belly full of keleguin(spelling?) as it is awesome! The local food is very hot as the "boonie" peppers are all over growing wild and they put them in everything! They also eat a lot of lumpia. It's kind of like an egg roll and you dip it in a salsa and its wonderful.
    Fruit bat is also a local favorite but this Hoosier was having no part of that!!

Good luck on your decision.
    Nowhere Indiana
  • Thanks guys..
    Beaufort, SC
  • I spent nearly two years there with SAC during Vietnam...It is a good duty station, especially if you are staying on base.  It is a very laid back place and you will learn to take it easy. 

there are some surprisingly good sites to see such as the Seguia (spelling) Falls and the tank grave yard on top of the mountain. 

You will be able to see the far east from there on the R&R flights.  So go for it and enjoy the trip.  The two years will fly by so don't worry....if any other questions contact me directly

woody@e-ssi.com

Rockwall Texas, just east of Dallas where the humidity and heat meet! Life is too short to get caught in the fast lane behind somebody slow!

XL, LG, Sm, Mini and Weber for drink holder

• By the way tell your wife she will love it... and take Your Egg...

I fell in love with the Guamanian chicken (official  bird of the island)  they grill it on a spit with very little spice and serve it with rice...it is great...

Rockwall Texas, just east of Dallas where the humidity and heat meet! Life is too short to get caught in the fast lane behind somebody slow!

XL, LG, Sm, Mini and Weber for drink holder

• Gezr
    Gezr Posts: 154
    "In God we trust, on Guam we rust".
    Pretty high humidity there.
    If you don't think too good, don't think too much.

Afton, VA
  • Gezr said:

"In God we trust, on Guam we rust".
    Pretty high humidity there.

When I got off of the plane it literally felt like someone dumped a bucket of water over my head. I showered three or more times a day until I finally got used to it being so hot and humid.

I left Guam and went to Cheyenne Wyoming and the high temp for the first two weeks was 5 degrees. Talk about a shock!
    Nowhere Indiana
  • I have a co-worker that was transferred there a few months back... He loves it!!  Just like the other have said the diving is awesome (he is now certified for open water diving).  We have been doing work on the island for about 4 to 5 years now and for the most part everyone that has gone there has liked it.

Coral Springs, Florida- Dimitrious