Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cottage Pie with Leftover Brisket

Options

@Doc_Eggerton cottage pie post the other day has had me craving it something fierce. I knew I was going to have to make one. Some little part of my brain kept telling me to add some leftover brisket to it. I really wasn't sure how that was going to work out, though. Would it be too smokey? Would the texture be off? I finally decided to go 1lb ground beef and 1/2 lb brisket cubed up.

I've always thought that cottage pie was beef and shepherds pie was lamb. Did quite a bit of research on it and contrary to popular belief, that is not quite correct. Seems like the term cottage pie was coined in 1791 and the dish was a means of using leftover meat of any kind. The term shepherds pie didn’t come around until 1870 and since then it has been used interchangeably with cottage pie. It has only a recent trend to specify shepherds pie with lamb and cottage pie with beef. And while we’re on the topic of recent trends, the use of previously uncooked meat is a new addition as well. So maybe using brisket would not be a bad idea...

Everything in the skillet getting happy

When scouring the ole interweb, I also noticed that a lot of recipes used an egg yolk in their mashed potatoes. I've never done that before nor heard of it. Tried it out, but not sure what it did for them. Ideas? Spreading out the taters.

While I could have cooked it on the Egg, I took the lazy way out and did it in the metal box in the kitchen at 400F for 25 minutes. Had a little leakeage, oh well.

Ready to eat

We enjoyed the use of leftover brisket in the cottage pie. Wasn't too smokey and gave it a different/unique texture. I think I nailed it on the 1 lb ground to .5 brisket, but I'm sure it wouldn't hurt to go 50/50%. Or more. However much you like. Plus, it was a great way to use leftovers. Never really did get any answers to my question in Doc's post about what vegetables are traditionally used but considering it was probably invented by frugal peasant housewives looking to serve leftover meat, it only makes sense that they probably used whatever vegetables they had on hand. Whatever was in season. So I used what we had on hand.

BTW I have no idea why there are no pictures of the brisket smoking on the Egg. I blame it on on Jack. Or maybe somebody stole my phone and erased the pictures. 

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

Comments

• Village Idiot
    Options
    Looks mahvelous, Grif.  Speaking of mashed potatoes, I put cream cheese in mine (thanks, Pioneer Woman).

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    I've done the cream cheese trick before. They reheat much better with that as an addition. This was 4 medium taters, 1/4 whole milk, 1/4 cup heavy cream, 1 egg yolk, 4 (or more) Tbsp real butter and some scallions and salt and pepper.

Rowlett, Texas

• saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Options
    Looks delish.  Do you think cooking everything on the egg would give this dish too much smoke flavor, hence why you did the meat and veggies on stove and then oven?
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• Cymbaline65
    Options

One of my fav comfort foods. VERY nice!

In the  Hinterlands between Cumming and Gainesville, GA
    Med BGE, Weber Kettle, Weber Smokey Joe, Brinkman Dual Zone, Weber Genesis Gas Grill and portable gasser for boating
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    Eggs act as a leavener and provides structure to the potatoes, helping them stay together and remain fluffy.
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    Nice work Griff!  That looks outstanding. That is interesting about the terminology for Shepherd Pie vs Cottage Pie.  I'm just gonna call it Meat n Tater Pie from now on ;)

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Doc_Eggerton
    Options
    I am so hungry!  Thanks a load.  I sometimes mix sour cream in with the gravy and meat mixture.   I have taken to doing mine in pie crust sometimes.  Yours looks great.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• Griffin
    Options

@saluki2007 that was my thinking. That and being lazy. With all the steps, I didn't want to throw in the extra step of lighting the egg and getting it stabilized. Not that its hard, I was just lazy.

@Eggcelsior makes sense. Thanks for the info

@Doc_Eggerton it's your fault. You started it. ;)

Rowlett, Texas

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    That looks great. Might have to try this tonight, have some leftover brisket, did brisket tacos last night that were great.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Bet that is good cold as well.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Griffin
    Options
    @DMW Mrs. G made herself brisket tacos last night. I just had straight up brisket. Got leftover cottage pie for lunch and then I think I'm done eating brisket for awhile. Eating brisket 4 times in such a short span is enough for me.

Rowlett, Texas

• jtippers
    jtippers Posts: 512
    Options
    Man, that looks great... I have spent way to much time staring at your blog lately. Every time I want to cook something on the egg, you have already done it and posted the recipe. Its like a one stop shop!  :)

BTW, I tried the Pineapple Upside down cake last night on my Egg. Lets just say, I was like 
    <:-P , then I was like  ^:)^ .  Then SWMBO looked at me and was like  :-* . 

Life is good!
    SBGE December 2012 •  XLBGE December 2013 •  Yoder YS640 July

• Griffin
    Options
    Thank you @jtippers You are too kind. The pineapple upside down cake is really good, but I can't take credit for that one. It's been floating around for years. I think the original credit goes to the wife of Lake Conroe Egger. Don't think he's one this forum, but he's on the other one. Not sure if he's active much anymore, but they are super nice. Met them at the 2012 Plano Fest.

Rowlett, Texas

• hondabbq
    hondabbq Posts: 1,980
    Options

I don't make brisket too often, but when I do I make Cottage Pie with just straight left over brisket.

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    How did you know I just pulled out some leftover brisket from the freezer?? I usually make brisket spaghetti sauce, but this looks like a winner.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Doc_Eggerton
    Options
    Griffin, you inspired me to do leftovers too.  Made chili with the leftover sirloin tip roast.  And yes, I don't care what anyone thinks, I like beans in my chili.

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1158974/sirloin-tip-roast#latest

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys