Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pre cook burn off?

Options
I was wondering what most of you do when starting a cook with a full load of new lump? I have been burning off the VOC's at the same temp I want to stabilize the egg too....say 400 deg and then after 30-45 min at that temp starting to cook once the smoke clears.Wouldn't it be easier on lump consumption to do your lump burn in at a lower temp,,,,say 300 deg for 30--45 minutes than jack the temp up too 400 deg only when ready to cook in order to save lump.

Basically do many of you do your smoke clearing at lower temps than crank it up too whatever temp you want to cook at in order to reduce lump consumption or would the difference be minimal?

Jamie.
Hows ya gettin' on, me ol ****

Kippens.Newfoundland and Labrador. (Canada).

Comments

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    I just get the temp stabilized... Drink about 4 beers. 20-30 minutes.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    I haven't given it that much thought really. Usually aim for whatever temp I want to cook at, and then once its stabilized and such, the food goes on.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • 30yearegger
    Options
    What is VOC
    Easley SC Go! Tigers
  • Little Steven
    Options
    What kind of lump are you using?

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• CANMAN1976
    CANMAN1976 Posts: 1,593
    Options
    Sometimes RO sometimes maple leaf just seems like your burning up a lot of lump when pre burning at 500 or 600 deg for 30 min for a pizza cook.
    Hows ya gettin' on, me ol ****

Kippens.Newfoundland and Labrador. (Canada).
  • Little Steven
    Options
    I don't find I need any time with the ML. Light with a map torch in three or four places and I'm good to go in 15 minutes

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Acorn
    Acorn Posts: 163
    Options
    I'm still real new (40 or so cooks) but mine is ready within 15-20 minuets at whatever temp I am going to cook at. 2 beers!!!!
    Atlanta, GA  - LBGE -
  • plumbfir01
    Options
    Volatile Organic Compounds
    Beaufort, SC
  • jhl192
    jhl192 Posts: 1,006
    edited November 2013
    Options
    I would suggest doing your burn off of VOC's after the cook.  It is easier to raise the temp than lower it.  Plus I prefer to do the burn off at or above 600 degrees.  This way you are ready to go regardless of what you want to cook next time.  
    XL BGE; Medium BGE; L BGE 
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    Options
    Acorn said:

I'm still real new (40 or so cooks) but mine is ready within 15-20 minuets at whatever temp I am going to cook at. 2 beers!!!!

You're drinking too slow!
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Options
    Ever since I started using a weed burner to light I have noticed the smoke is clear fairly quick. Sometimes 5 minutes and sometimes less. It takes a little longer if I have the vents cracked for a low and slow though. Most times, the heavy smoke/smell is gone before I even get to my target temp.
    - Proud owner of a Large BGE
    - Norman, OK
  • ChuckChampion
    Options
      When I got my egg a few months back I just started it up with the BGE fire starters and left the dome open for longer and let it go over target temp before I brought it back down to where I was cooking.  Now I shoot for target temp and keep it close to what I'm aiming for.  I can tell a big difference in how much lump is consumed vs. running the temp up pre cook. 
  • Cookinbob
    Cookinbob Posts: 1,691
    Options
    I shoot for my intended cook temp right at the start,  I do leave the vents fairly wide until I get close.  Now that it is cold up here, I find it takes a bit longer to get up to temp though.  I usually have a mix of old and new lump
    XLBGE, Small BGE, Homebrew and Guitars
    Rochester, NY