Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

getting ready to do my first clean burn on my 13 year old//safety?

My egg sits in a nest on my covered porch. From the top of the egg to the ceiling it is about 8 foot. I have two thoughts for the safety issue. One,,,I get my neighbor to help me move the sucker down off the porch and onto the patio where there is only sky above it.
Or ,,Two,,leave it where it is on the porch. 
With the top vent open 100% should I worry about the intense heat rising out of the dome at 700+ degrees  and having an issue ?
I plan to fill the egg about 1/2 way in the fire ring and let it burn until it goes out. How long should this take? 
Jefferson .GA.  
Been egging since 1985 on a medium egg

Comments

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    I hate to tell you the wrong thing here...but I think you would be fine.  If you put your hand a couple of feet above the exhaust as it heats up you can gauge how hot it is.  I have done this with the egg at 700+ and I can still hold my hand a couple of feet over it.  The heat dissipates fairly quickly once it hits the open air. 

With that much lump going full speed I think you are looking at a couple of hours of burn time...maybe a little more. 

Do you still have a gasket?  With a clean burn like that you are are likely to melt it.  Just thinking off the top of my head but perhaps you could use strips of foil around the edges to protect the gasket.  It might also help with the egg fusing shut. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• I have a new gasket to but on after I do the burn
    Jefferson .GA.  
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    When I did a clean burn a lot of grease from the gasket ran down the outside of my egg, not a big issue but you don't want it dripping on your deck or table.

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • Let us know how it goes bud.  I'm new to this, but it seems like a clean burn is going to get a lot hotter than 700 degrees if you are running it wide open and have nothing choking up the air way.  I don't think I would trust leaving a 900 or 1000 degree egg on a covered porch if it does reach those temps.  I know mine will rise up that high when I'm starting it if I leave it unattended for too long, but it is just a few months old.  Can anyone tell me how often you need to do a clean burn?
  • laserdoc85 please take before and after pics and post them 
    2 Large Eggs and a Mini 2 Pit Bulls and a Pork shoulder or butt nearby and 100% SICILIAN
    Long Island N.Y.
  • jtippers
    jtippers Posts: 512
    laserdoc85 please take before and after pics and post them 
    +1   :)
    SBGE December 2012 •  XLBGE December 2013 •  Yoder YS640 July

• Hic
    Hic Posts: 350
    My only concern with an egg that old, is whether it is ceramic or clay. If it's ceramic it should be fine but the older clay ones I don't think you should get it that hot.

Large, medium, small and a mini. Egg'n, golfing, beer drinking, camping and following football and baseball.
    Atlanta NOTP suburbia.

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    edited November 2013
    Just a suggestion here but I'd remove my dome thermometer if I were you. If it is your original thermometer from 13 years ago that model is 2 or 3 generations back and has more plastic. Excessive heat is liable to ruin it as with the years of build up you have I imagine it will be a raging inferno North of 900. 
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,452
    Hic said:
    My only concern with an egg that old, is whether it is ceramic or clay. If it's ceramic it should be fine but the older clay ones I don't think you should get it that hot.
    good point. if OP is the original owner and the dome therm is original, is it safe to assume it's okay to hit the maximum temp shown on the therm? may be not?
    canuckland
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    Hic said:
    good point. if OP is the original owner and the dome therm is original, is it safe to assume it's okay to hit the maximum temp shown on the therm? may be not?
    I agree - a couple of my eggs are older than his and BGE have not been clay for years!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Ok I pulled the thermometer and I'm an hour into the burn. Looks like hell inside the dome with that ring of fire. It is one of the early ceramic ones.
    My other clay ones broke years prior
    Jefferson .GA.  
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    I would remove the DFMT and put in inside the egg on the cooking grid.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • laserdoc85 you should take off the daisy wheel 
    2 Large Eggs and a Mini 2 Pit Bulls and a Pork shoulder or butt nearby and 100% SICILIAN
    Long Island N.Y.
  • I will see if I can find something to remove it. But when I go to open the lid it looks like hell inside. Dont know if I can get that DFMT inside fast enough.
    Real windy here
    Jefferson .GA.  
  • laserdoc85 just take it off don't worry about putting it inside the egg use a pair of gloves to take it off 
    Long Island N.Y.
  • Yeah I wouldn't try opening the Egg at this point.  Just get something to take the daisy wheel off without burning yourself and have a safe spot to set it down.
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • Got it off and inside the egg. Can we say FLAME ON !!
    Jefferson .GA.  
  • laserdoc85 when the fire burns out and all is cool to touch take the DFMT (daisy wheel) and give it a good coat of oil(vegetable canola or olive or any food grade oil) other wise it is going to rust 
    Long Island N.Y.
  • I can't wait to see inside when all is done!
    Jefferson .GA.  
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832

I can't wait to see inside when all is done!

It will be white as new.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • laserdoc85 said:

I can't wait to see inside when all is done!

It will be white as new.

I doubt it will be white I have done several clean burns in mine and t has never been white I mean the fire ring and fire box did and the plate setter as well but the dome not so much 
    Long Island N.Y.
  • Hoov
    Hoov Posts: 264
    Take some balled up foil to the inside of the dome if it's really flaky after the burn . Last time I did this I just used my welder's gloves.

I agree though, expect to see a white firebox and platesetter if it's in there. Dome will probably still be black.
    - Proud owner of a Large BGE
    - Norman, OK
  • Hic
    Hic Posts: 350
    I was going to say don't forget to burp it, but looks like you made it out safe, since you were able to post pictures.

Large, medium, small and a mini. Egg'n, golfing, beer drinking, camping and following football and baseball.
    Atlanta NOTP suburbia.

• jtippers
    jtippers Posts: 512
    I can't help myself... As I read through this thread, I just get excited! It will be like a new egg after the burn and gasket replacement!  :D
    SBGE December 2012 •  XLBGE December 2013 •  Yoder YS640 July

• ok here it is!!
    Looks like a grey martian landscape.
     Will clean later today or tomorrow and post more pics. I'm busy building a table for the egg
    Jefferson .GA.  
  • next is the gasket on the bottom. I don't put one on the dome do I ?
    Jefferson .GA.  
  • yes top and bottom 

Long Island N.Y.
  • EagleIII
    EagleIII Posts: 415
    I have done a clean burn on my LBGE and just held them temp to 900 by adjusting the lower vent just a tick.  It burned for 2 or 2 1/2 hrs and came out white and whistle clean.  By holding the 900 degrees, no harm to the gasket...
  • MO_Eggin
    MO_Eggin Posts: 282
    Replacing either or both gaskets is personal preference.  A number of folks here go no gasket or bottom only.  I've been running bottom only for about 2 years, no significant issues, can hold temps from 180s on up.  Just scrape off the remnants of the old gasket so you don't get extra "flavoring bits" in your cooks.
    LBGE - St. Louis, MO; MM & LBGE - around 8100' somewhere in the CO Front Range
  • I just feel that the Egg comes from the factory with 2 gaskets so if replacing you should replace both like it came from the factory 
    Long Island N.Y.