Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Help from Texas crew...

Options
Wolfpack
Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
Ending up with a free night tomorrow- any decent bbq spots in Houston area (open for dinner). Have a meeting till 5pm so Lockhart isn't really an option on this trip...
Greensboro, NC

Comments

• Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,836
    Options

I'm not from Houston, but according to Texas Monthly Gatlin's and Virgie's are the two best in the area so you'd probably do well at either of those places.

http://www.texasmonthly.com/lists/50-best-bbq-joints-world

Maybe a local will chime in.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Virgies is good but it's in the hood.good folks but not the typeof place a tourist usually makes it. i would avoid Houston bbq and go to Pappas Bros Steak house (pricey but great) or I can get you a list together. I'm sure the guys down there can help you out too. Haven't been to Houston in a year or so but I went every week on biz for 3 years and ate out a lot.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Village Idiot
    Options
    I left Houston 3 months ago, but I doubt much has changed.  Used to be a great BBQ place on McGregor @ Scott called Thelma's.  It was a black owned and operated joint and it had great BBQ (one notch below Lockhart).  But they closed.  Since then, we went to Pappa's BBQ.  It's a chain in Houston, and the BBQ is OK, but not great.  Still better than any brisket you'd get out of state.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• TUTTLE871
    TUTTLE871 Posts: 1,316
    Options
    I would agree with Cen-Tex about Papas Steak House. Last time I went I met one of the Sommelier's and he took me for a tour of the wine cellar and then the kitchen, and watch them sear there steaks at 1200 Degrees.
    The Chocolate Mousse is outstanding. Pictures from my last outing.

"Hold my beer and watch this S##T!"

LARGE BGE DALLAS TX.

• Wolfpack
    Options
    Thanks guys-
    Greensboro, NC
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    last time I ate at Virgies I had to fend off feral cats at the picnic tables outside.............rustic to say the least. 

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Perry's is a great spot too. Get the triple cut pork chop. Several guys on here have claimed it to be the best chop they have ever had and tried to replicate it. It's special. And nary a cat in sight. 

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    edited November 2013
    Options
    I find the beef ribs at Pappas BBQ to be very good. Agree with VI on the rest.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Village Idiot
    Options
    You guys are evil.  The poor fellow just wanted a BBQ joint ($8.00 for a plate) and you put him on to Perry's ($5,000 for a pork chop).  Well, maybe I exaggerate a tad.

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    it's true. I think they charge $8 for a glass of water at perry's
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    and it you want to eat in Houston without having to fight cats with one hand as you eat, that don't come free
  • Wolfpack
    Options
    On company dime so not worried about cash:)
    Greensboro, NC
  • TUTTLE871
    TUTTLE871 Posts: 1,316
    Options
    That's what I used to do, company dime and away from home means I can eat and drink what I like.
    That's what my boss always said to do.

"Hold my beer and watch this S##T!"

LARGE BGE DALLAS TX.

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    I haven't been to Houston in many years, but I recall the post about the Perry's pork chop. It is on my bucket list of things to eat before I die. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    edited November 2013
    Options
    Are you set on bbq? There are some very good Asian places in town - Chinatown in Houston is one of the biggest I've seen. 

But so is that pork chop...

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Wolfpack
    Options
    Ended up going to bbq place for lunch - wasn't very good but I was over near Johnson Space Center and it was local. So I'm open for anything tonight- I'm by airport so looks like about a 30-40 min trip into downtown (which I can live with)
    Greensboro, NC
  • Village Idiot
    Options
    If you're at Bush Intergalactical, go to I-45 and head north for a couple of exits.  Pappasito's is an upscale Tex-Mex restaurant.  I like their seafood enchiladas.  It used to be off the menu, but I think it's standard now.

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    If you are on the company teet, then Perry's or Pappas Bros For sure. Houston BBQ sucks but they have some awesome restaurants.

• warwoman
    warwoman Posts: 279
    Options
    Or try "Taste of Texas" out the Katy Freeway.
    From the NE Georgia Mountains! Me, SWMBO, and two spoiled ass Springers!
  • krobertsmsn
    krobertsmsn Posts: 655
    edited November 2013
    Options
    +++++1111111111 on Perry's "7 finger porkchop". You can get BBQ anywhere...this is special and should not be missed!  :-bd

Skip downtown, you are 30 min from Perry's Champion's area-on on Cypresswood! Go via the Beltway to 249 towards Tomball, exit Cypresswood, turn right...go approx 1.5-2 miles. It's on the left. 30 min tops to get there.

If it MUST be BBQ, Valley Ranch is VERY good on 249, Willowbrook/Spring Cypress area...same direction as Perry's
    LBGE 4/2012, MBGE 6/2012 & Mini 11/2013
    Rome, GA
  • Wolfpack
    Options
    Think I will give pappas a try- got to come back to Baytown in a month or so and will try Perry's then. Thanks everyone- Cali- would love to do the Chinatown thing too- any recs?
    Greensboro, NC
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    @Wolfpack - many options to chose from. here's what I can recommend off the top of my head:

Banana leaf - Malaysian. We love Malaysian food, and would probably recommend this if not available where you live.

Fung's Kitchen

Peking Cuisine - good peking duck. They serve the little folded over bun type of mu-shu, not the flat pancake type. Call ahead to make sure they have duck available.

Maharaja Bhog - right next to Peking Cuisine (these are not in Chinatown). Vegetarian, but my veg place of choice. You sit down, and a battalion of staff serves you more than a dozen different items. Kind of like an Indian vegetarian Fogo De Chao.

Mala Sichuan Bistro - if you like Sichuan food especially the tingly Sichuan peppercorns.

Ocean Palace or Fung's Kitchen for dim sum on the weekends. 

There's a place at 9116 Bellaire Blvd ( I think) that does great hot-pot. 

Or just drive to 9889 Bellaire Blvd (a strip mall) and pick a place. It took us 18 months to work through all of those places when we moved here.

VI may chime in with some other favs. Let us know when you're in town, and we may join you (our treat) if we are in town. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • bbqlearner
    Options
    Probably too late a post but "Killen's BBQ" in Pearland (suburb of Houston) is the new best BBQ in town. Haven't tried it yet since it's fairly new but have heard some great reviews from people that tried.

Houston, TX - Buddy LBGE, Don SBGE, Tiny Mini & Shiny Momma Pitts n Spitts

• bbqlearner
    Options

Houston, TX - Buddy LBGE, Don SBGE, Tiny Mini & Shiny Momma Pitts n Spitts