Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pork Belly - What should I buy?

I want to try cold smoking a pork belly and making it into bacon.  I really don't know what to ask the butcher for though.  Is there a specific portion of the belly that is better than another for this?  Thanks for your advice!

Northern Colorado Egghead since 2012.

XL BGE and a KBQ.

Comments

• Just ask for pork belly and tell them what you are doing. That's what I did. Usually it comes in halves and frozen, at least around here anyway. I smoke 2 halves stacked on my large. I'll never buy store bacon again.  

Madison, CT
    LBGE June 2013. 

• I read plenty about cold smoking pork belly / bacon.  But, it looks like you are low-n-slow cooking this (with, I assume, a heap of smoke.)  What temp do you cook this to?  And, later, do you just re-heat in a skillet to crisp-up?
  • I smoke at 200 till belly reaches 150 per Ruhlman. I toss in a chunk of hickory. I've never tried cold smoking my bacon. For whatever reason all the recipes I've seen have called for hot smoking. 

Once it's done let it cool and refrigerate. From there you just slice and cook as you would normal bacon. 
    Madison, CT
    LBGE June 2013.