Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

1st sous vide run...

Options
caliking
caliking Posts: 18,731
edited November 2013 in EggHead Forum
Finally, got to cook something! Major deadline over yesterday, so back to egging after a long hiatus. First I cracked open one of these:

Haven't had much time to play with the Demi i bought recently, so I figured it was about time. Bought some kind of bacon wrapped filet thingy from HEB since it was already vacuum packed. Tossed it in at 133°F for about 75 mins.

Dinner got a late start, so I had to hustle. Started the meat in the demi, 2 sweet potatoes in the oven, fired up the mini and ran around doing some chores. An hour or so later, I pulled the meat out and added Mickey's coffee rub. 

Somehow this snuck in:

Mini was chugging along, despite not having been cleaned in a while.

Threw SWMBO's filet on first to cook a little longer (she's off med-rare meat for now). Flipped it and let it go for about a minute for so. Let hers rest then put mine on for about 30 secs and flipped it. Forgot my thermapen inside, so didn't check the IT. This is where I goofed a little.

The sweet potatoes were rubbed with EVOO and DP Cowlick, in the oven @ 400°F x 1hr, while I was doing the other stuff. Mashed them, and plated with leftover stir-fryish veggies.

Made a sauce out of the juice form the meat after pulling from the SV, some rub,  and the drippings from the sweet potato foil packet. My meat was med-rare in one half, almost med in the other, but very tasty. SWMBO enjoyed hers as well. Once she gets back to eating med-rare meat, I think the SV will live up to its potential. I do need to tinker with it some more and get the hang of it.

The evening was capped off with an old favorite:

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.

Comments

• jtippers
    jtippers Posts: 512
    Options
    Looks great!
    SBGE December 2012 •  XLBGE December 2013 •  Yoder YS640 July

• Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,515
    Options
    Congrats on your new toy!  btw, that's more beer than I imbibed in the last three months  :\">
    canuckland
  • caliking
    Options
    Thanks.

The beers just happened to pour themselves into the glass, and there wasn't much else I could do :)

• RAC
    RAC Posts: 1,688
    Options

I will be keeping an eye on you with your new toy. I almost ordered one when they were on sale but I was unsure how much I would use it.

BTW steaks look good!

Ricky

Boerne, TX

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    edited November 2013
    Options
    Sooo...did you notice a difference in the flavour/flavor?

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Village Idiot
    Options
    I posted this before, but it apparently didn't take.

Outstanding plated picture, Cal !  I love the plate and you positioned the food just right !!!

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• Aviator
    Aviator Posts: 1,757
    Options

Outstanding plated picture, Cal !  I love the plate and you positioned the food just right !!!
    His wife done it. He is a redneck, look at that truck he has egg on.  :D

Large and Small BGE, Blackstone 36 and a baby black Kub.

Chattanooga, TN.

• Little Steven
    Options

I think you are being facetious. His beer pics are awesome.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Skiddymarker
    Options
    There were food pics? Only had eyes for the beer, specially the Doppelbock - a favourite. Nice job!
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • CP92
    CP92 Posts: 321
    edited November 2013
    Options
    You're obviously partial to German beer (certainly nothing wrong with that).  Ever spend anytime there?  I spent three years south of Munich and loved everything about it.
    Chris
    LBGE
    Hughesville, MD
  • Aviator
    Aviator Posts: 1,757
    Options
    I always have 2 of the later ones in my fridge. The only other is Guiness.
    Good choice, bro.  So tell me more on the sous vide thingy. Pics?

Large and Small BGE, Blackstone 36 and a baby black Kub.

Chattanooga, TN.

• caliking
    edited November 2013
    Options
    @RAC Thanks. I'm looking forward to learning how to use the demi more optimally.

LS - This was a quick SV cook, but I think it did make a difference. The meat was tender and more uniformly cooked than what I've egged/grilled previously. Even though SWMBO had hers done medium to med-well, she commented on how juicy it was. Flavor was a little different as there was less char than usual, so maybe the flavor of the meat itself came through a bit more. 

VI - I'll take that as quite a compliment. You usually set the bar! If you really like the plates, I bought them from World Market.

@Aviator - Sssshhhh! Nobody's supposed to know that I'm a closet redneck...I bleed sweet tea.

@CP92 - have not been to Germany yet, but we have good friends in Munich, who I would love to visit sometime. I'm not as partial to the German brews as I once was - recently bought the Warsteiner and Optimator out of nostalgia, but can't deny that they are great beers. Have been more partial to the Belgian brews in recent years, and now thankfully they are easier to find. My local HEB has an amazing selection for a chain grocery store. A good friend visiting from Canada in the summer bought a cooler and filled it with about a dozen Belgian bottles, Took it back as checked-in baggage.

@Skiddymarker - i didn't intend to crack that many open (the Karmeleit is a bigboy)... but I was feeling kinda special :)

• caliking
    edited November 2013
    Options
    Aviator - I'm a total n00b with the SV operation. Many on here have far more experience here (LS, Cen-Tex to name a couple). The price point was right and I wanted to try something new. I'm learning though!

I bought the Sous Vide Supreme Demi a few weeks ago when they had a sale - something like 30%off. Spent a weekend convincing SWMBO tat it was a good idea and pulled the trigger. Its a nifty little device. Holds temp pretty steady so far, but i haven't really put it through its paces yet. The Anova version is about $200 and a few people here seem to really like theirs. I picked the Demi because it was a self-contained unit, I (sort of) had the counter space for it in the kitchen, and figured it might be better insulated than the other immersion type devices. That may not necessarily be true, but it may be. I think i will have fun with it and don't have buyer's remorse... yet.

There are some great sous vide threads on here with tons of great info. 

• caliking
    Options

I think you are being facetious. His beer pics are awesome.
    Either that or guys who repost pics form the interwebs are easily impressed :)