Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

NEED HELP! 18lb butterball fresh turkey

Options
How would you cook this for best results.  I need details! :)  It is an 18 lb turkey fresh from butterball.  What would you suggest, temp, direct, indirect, on stand, not on stand, give me some suggestions please.  Will this fit on a large?

Comments

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Spatchcocked Turkey and Chicken on the Big Green Egg (you cut out the backbone and cook opened) I like a 11/12 lb bird. If I need lots of turkey I just cook a couple ( 1 & 1/2 hr cook app) Chicken 3 to 4.5lb bird or birds. Under an hour cook. Or, just add a package of legs extra. I do not brine the turkey or Chicken. If time I like to leave uncovered in the fridge overnight (no problem if no time) I cook "direct" @ 400 on a raised grill "skin side up" and never turn over. I will use a coffee rub. Use what you like. NOTE PLEASE (A LOT OF SMOKE IS NOT YOU FRIEND) I use about a single handfull of mixed chips: Cherry & Pecan. Cook to temp (not time) breast @ 160 and thigh @ 180. Coffee Rub (turkey, chicken, beef & pork) Equal part: Instant Expresso Ground coffee Equal part: Brown Sugar ½ part: Black Pepper ½ part: Kosher Salt ½ part: Garlic Powder ¾ part: Ancho Chili Powder Don't worry on exact, just close on measurement. I used to use turbinado sugar but we like with brown better. This is pulled from MollyShark, Hungry Man, & Richard In Fl then tweaked. I find the ancho chili powder is far less expensive in the bulk spice area than the bottled area ( have used both light or dark version). I make it starting with a half cup Instant Expresso Ground coffee and work from there as it seems to store well if sealed.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Sea2Ski
    Sea2Ski Posts: 4,088
    Options
    I have a large egg.
    Did a fresh 17 1/2 lbr last Thanksgiving from a local farm.  I let it sit in a brine overnight, then cooked it @ 300 - 325 on a raised grid indirect as high as I could while still being able to close the lid. I think it took 2.5 hrs if I remember correctly. It was delicious. I forget what I put in the brine, because the flavor of the brine you barely get (at least in my experience). I know I put brown sugar, kosher salt, 8 -10 smashed cloves of garlic, onions, rosemary, thyme, and a quartered/squeezed lemon to get a subtle flavor.  Only a quarter a handful of pecan chips (My mother does not like a strong smoke taste.)

It was delicious. Although I had a remote thermometer, and checked with a thermapen, the meat closest to the bone needed a bit longer even though the temp read fine. If I was getting the same size bird, I would do it direct spatchcocked on a raised grid. But I do not know how you could do big of a bird on a large spatchcocked. I know others have done it, but If spatchcocked mine, I do not think it would have fit. And once you cut it.....well..... Perhaps others will comment.

This year, I ordered a 11-12 lb bird, with 2 extra full legs and 2 extra drumsticks. Gonna brine everything together Monday night to Wed early AM. Then I am going to let it sit uncovered in the fridge to - 1 Thursday. It will be spatchcocked. and cooked direct.  The legs will be on on a raised second level.
    When it is done, we will eat. Family likes to eat about 2:30 - 3:00 so they have two turkey meals: one at 3 and a turkey sandwich about 8 PM.

--------------------------------------------------
    Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
    ....just look for the smoke!
    Large and MiniMax

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite. 
  • pasoegg
    pasoegg Posts: 447
    Options

@ Mickey

What is the largest bird you think will fit in a large BGE cooking spatchcock style??

"it is never too early to drink, but it may be too early to be seen drinking"

Winston-Salem, NC

• Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options

For an 18lber, I'd go whole, indirect at 350. Figure on about 15 minutes a lb and give yourself at least 20 minutes to allow it to rest. Don't think you will be able to spacth it and have it fit. Here is one I did that was 18.5 lbs. Could barely get sausage on around it. Don't be afraid to do the whole FTC trick if you need to start early and it finishes before you are ready to eat.image

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options

I know a 16lber will fit if you go beer can, not sure how large you can go though.image

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• booksw
    booksw Posts: 470
    Options
    Looks like you placed the beer can directly on the plate setter rather than on a grate- that would be the only way to fit a 16 pound turkey I am guessing (I usually do it on a grate and barely fit a 12 pound).  Great idea!
    Charleston, SC

L/MiniMax Eggs
  • robnybbq
    robnybbq Posts: 1,911
    Options
    I did a 15 lber spatchcocked last year no problem on an inverted v rack. Plan to do the same next week

Garnerville, NY
  • minniemoh
    minniemoh Posts: 2,145
    Options
    @robnybbq That's exactly the info I have been searching for. My wife just ordered two 16lb birds for our two Thanksgiving dinners. Now I know how it's done. THANK YOU!

Any recollection of how long your 15lb spatcher took? What temp?
    L x2, M, S, Mini and a Blackstone 36. She says I have enough now....
    eggAddict from MN!
  • cdees_1993
    Options
    Need some temps and times if you guys have them.  Thanks for the suggestions.

• Sea2Ski
    Sea2Ski Posts: 4,088
    Options
    Ok. Found my notes. I was off by a lot of time. I put the bird on at 9:45 am and pulled it at 2:15 pm. The bird was 17.42 lbs. apparently the breast meat down closest to the legs was not quite done and I stated that it probably needed another 30 minutes. Dome temp was 340-360, which means it was cooler at the grid. Everything else my memory was correct. At least that, makes me feel a bit better, and that I am not totally losing it....
    Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
    ....just look for the smoke!
    Large and MiniMax

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite.