Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

pre-loading lump?

Options
Can lump indirectly absorb moisture? I'm leaving on a business trip tomorrow and don't get back until late next Wednesday. I'm doing a bird
in my LBGE on Tday and was thinking about getting everything match ready, so when I get up early Thanksgiving morning I can just
light it. I live in the Pacific Northwest though and usually leave my Egg with both vents open, but with a cover. With all
the moisture in the air from the inevitable rain, is it possible the lump could absorb enough moisture to cause a problem?

thanks
Battle Ground, WA
Large BGE,  MiniMax  and a Vision Kub.
Could you call on Lady Day, could you call on John Coltrane?

Comments

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    I do it, but never have for that long. I would just put the ceramic cap on and close the lower draft door all the way. If your gasket is good the egg is tight.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Kruegs
    Kruegs Posts: 128
    Options
    I can't imagine it would be much different than using unused lump which often sits in my egg for days (and unfortunately sometimes weeks) before lighting it again.  I've never had an issue but I always have the ceramic top on and bottom vent closed.
    XL BGE; CyberQ Wifi; Adjustable Rig, Woo2 Green Bay, Wisconsin
  • vidalia1
    vidalia1 Posts: 7,092
    Options
    Load it with lump...close it up tight...all will be good when you return...
  • sodigthisbigcrux
    Options
    thanks, Fellas..

I was worried about mold, hence leaving the vents open. I'll probably do a good burn after tonights dinner and then load it up and then close it up tomorrow before I split. Can't wait to see how the Turkey turns out
    Battle Ground, WA
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    why not do a good burn as planned and just dump in some new lump on turkey day, that extra half minute to open a bag and dump isnt going to throw off the cooking time. my plan is to do a good burn wed night and dump light cook thu
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Skiddymarker
    Options
    I live in the PNW and if I leave lump in the egg for a week (most it has ever been without use) it is harder to start, not impossible, just a little slower. 
    In your case I'd dump in some new and start it up, will only add a minute or two to your light time and you can be sure of the results. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • booksw
    booksw Posts: 470
    Options
    I also live in a high humidity environment (Charleston SC) and I have an old burned up gasket and I routinely leave lump in my egg for several days with the ceramic cover and vent closed and I have never had a problem lighting it.
    Charleston, SC

L/MiniMax Eggs
  • jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167
    Options
    I don't know how necessary it would be.  I live in a fairly damp climate, and we are gone from home for a week pretty regularly.  There's almost always left over lump in my egg.  No problem with getting it to start.
    John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • sodigthisbigcrux
    Options
    thanks guys...I'm doing a good burn tonight and will just clean tomorrow and dump the lump on Tday. It's going to be hectic, but you guys are right..it will only take a few minutes. Thanks for the feedback and suggestions
    Battle Ground, WA