Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How long does it take?

Been wanting to do some spuds on the egg. How long does it take? I know @hapster and some of you other folks do them a lot . Thanks

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

Comments

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Whole (like baked potatoes) or cut-up?
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Baked potato I go about 350 indirect for about an hour.  A little olive oil and koshser salt on the skin, on the egg with no foil.  You can tell they are done when they are a little squishy.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564

I just had two last night.

Brine them in your clean kitchen sink for about 4 hours. Remove, dry. cover with EVO and kosher salt. Egg at 375-400 for 1 hour, if direct turn every 15-20 min. if indirect turn on the half hour. Should be at 205-210 with thermo pen. Enjoy with your favorite extras.

Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,646
    Whole (like baked potatoes) or cut-up?

I was thinking cut up but I may do some whole too.

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• Mross
    Mross Posts: 338
    If cut up and cooking direct at 350 to 400 they take no more than 20 mins. Think steak fries or wedges.
    Duncan, SC
  • txav8r
    txav8r Posts: 153
    edited November 2013
    I do them direct at 350-400 for about an hour and a half...but I butter them on the outside, kosher salt, and foil them.  Turn about 3 times and best baked I have ever had.  The foil keeps the steam inside and the drying heat down IMO, and makes for a moist and fluffy tater.
    Just far enough north of DFW to be "rural"...and close enough to be urban, depending on my mood.
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    If cut up, I go 20-30 minutes. I do Fingerling potatoes a lot and usually cook them as long as the protein cooks on top of them(spatchcock chicken - 45 minutes - 1 hr). If shorter, I parboil for 5 minutes first.
  • txav8r said:
    I do them direct at 350-400 for about an hour and a half...but I butter them on the outside, kosher salt, and foil them.  Turn about 3 times and best baked I have ever had.  The foil keeps the steam inside and the drying heat down IMO, and makes for a moist and fluffy tater.
    Fool proof if you don't want that ultra crisp skin. Chrome plated potatoes are super reliable. The loss of moisture is, I think why twice bakers are popular, you can cook the bejesus out of the spuds and then add the moisture back when you add butter, sour cream, milk or cream or buttermilk, cheese and whatever spices you want. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,646
    Thanks for all the responses guys.

• GK59
    GK59 Posts: 501
    Screw the EVOO. I love them with some bacon grease rubbed over. Then season. I like them on the crisp sise.

Smitty's Kid's BBQ

Bay City,MI

• GK59
    GK59 Posts: 501
    That was to be side. I was spilling my beer.

Smitty's Kid's BBQ

Bay City,MI

• tulocay
    tulocay Posts: 1,737
    Did Hotch say brine potatoe's????? I have never heard of brining spuds. I'm all for brining, spuds is a new one to me. I love brining poultry, pork and fish.
    LBGE, Marietta, GA
  • I love em with no foil. I use my thee thermopen to check them. I cook em to about 210 inside.
    Mark Annville, PA