Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Mini Egg or Sous Vide for Christmas? Need your opinions please!

Hey y'all, my wife is asking which one I want more for christmas this year, and I would like to know what yall think. I've been waiting to get a mini for a while now and I'm pretty sure thats what I want.  I just wanted to hear what everyone had to say about the advantages and disadvantages of both.  Of course, I've read up on the sous vide, watched a few videos on how it works, and have seen some amazing cooks produced from it on this site.  So its very tempting to ask for one of these as well.  Thanks for your advice, it is ALWAYS helpful!!

Comments

• Hoov
    Hoov Posts: 264
    I'd go with sous vide, to give you more cook options. The mini looks awesome (I don't have a mini or sous vide), but probably can't do things your larger egg can't already do. Just my opinion, and you know what those are worth!
    - Proud owner of a Large BGE
    - Norman, OK
  • krobertsmsn
    krobertsmsn Posts: 655
    edited November 2013
    I just got both...while I have limited eggsperience with both, I am happiest about my mini. It will get more use than the sv. I'm not convinced that the sv was a great choice for my money yet. I might change my mind after more use...or with steak this coming weekend...but I already did great streak and chicken. I'm not sure it will improve them THAT much. I know mine aren't perfect, but darn good. The steak improved a lot when I bought aged prime steaks!!!! I vote for the mini, hands down! ;;)
    LBGE 4/2012, MBGE 6/2012 & Mini 11/2013
    Rome, GA
  • Funny, I'm in the same boat. I'm leaning towards the SV as it's a tool that I think will have the most value for me. You can use it for non-Egg cooking too.
    In the  Hinterlands between Cumming and Gainesville, GA
    Med BGE, Weber Kettle, Weber Smokey Joe, Brinkman Dual Zone, Weber Genesis Gas Grill and portable gasser for boating
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    I use my mini more than my sous vide
  • Mkline
    Mkline Posts: 180
    While I don't have a SV and I do have a mini, my recommendation wold be go for the tool you don't have. Since you already have an egg you can use I would get the SV. Don't get me wrong, I love my mini's (yes I have 2) but I would get the SV if I were you. 

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    I'd go Sous Vide personally. I see myself getting much more out of it than the egg, because I do alot more cooking than just on the egg where it could be a tool.
  • jtippers
    jtippers Posts: 512
    I think this decision like many others comes down to your cooking style and personal situation...

The sous vide gives you more flexibility to cook without worrying over whether or not you will burn your food. This is very valuable to me through the week as I can drop dinner in the bath when I leave in the morning and sear it when I get home from work. Makes for quick dinners with very little pre-planning.

The Mini on the other hand is a beast in his own right... If you want portability, go with the Mini. If you cook on your existing Egg very often and find yourself needing more space for sides, the mini may be the way to go. When I am grilling out, I will often cook my sides on the Large and sear the meat on the small or mini.

Personally, I think your a winner either way!   
    :-bd
    SBGE December 2012 •  XLBGE December 2013 •  Yoder YS640 July

• allsid
    allsid Posts: 492
    I think it is just a matter of time before you get both!

Enjoy-
    Proud resident of Missoula, MT
    https://www.facebook.com/GrillingMontana
    http://grillingmontana.com
    https://instagram.com/grillingmontana

Check out my book on Kamado cooking called Exclusively Kamado:
    http://bit.ly/kamadobook

• I agree that you'll have both soon enough. I would vote SV first just because it can change the way you cook inside and out. You already have an egg that can do 95% of what you want. a SV is totally different and will teach you to do a lot of different things that a mini won't. If you don't think you'll eventually get both, i'd get the mini unless you really like to explore different ways to cook.

We use our SV like once a week or every 10 days. I use my egg 3-4 times a week. I'll never be without either of them ever again though. By far my 2 favorite gadgets

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Granted I'm still on the honeymoon with the SV, it has become a favourite gadget to quote CT. I agree it is nice to have both an egg and a SV, two very different tools. Saw the Visions P series (like a mini) at Costco delivered for <$250 and the Anova is $200, so for $450 you have both. That's only a few dollars more than a mini as I recall. 

Interesting that with the SV, we've rediscovered the pan sear using a CI skillet - the egg looked a touch lonesome. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • I would ask for both!!! Nice thing is we have the in laws(outlaws)! Brothers and friends over for lots of eggin! So i get all kinds of gifts for the egg! Good luck! :D
  • Aquacop
    Aquacop Posts: 481
    Concur with @jtippers and @TheCenTexSmoker your going to get them both eventually, just decide which one you want first.
    LBGE 2013 Located in Savannah, Georgia
  • ads75
    ads75 Posts: 391
    Both of those items cook meals for both of you. Getting either for Christmas would be like getting an oven, a dishwasher, or a vacuum cleaner for your wife. You should get one because you NEED it, not a gift from the wife. 
    Large BGE, Mini BGE
    Morgantown, PA
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    edited November 2013
    Tell her not to be so damned cheap and get you both. You are worth it!

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• td66snrf
    td66snrf Posts: 1,822
    When's your birthday?
    XLBGE, LBGE, MBGE, SMALL, MINI, 2 Kubs, Fire Magic Gasser
  • SV for sure.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • @ads75 that is a great point, but I'm not sure my wife would agree... You guys are right it won't be long till I have both. I am going to tell her to surprise me with one. Thanks guys
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Mini
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Ask for whichever one is more expensive - taht way when you buy the cheaper one later, you will look "thrifty" :D

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • If you camp a lot/tailgate/have portability as a factor then by all means, go the mini route. If not, the SV is the way to go. Both would be sweet, but if you can only get one (for now) and portable cooking isn't a deciding factor then SV it should be. Having an egg already, I wouldn't trade my SV cooker for a mini. (But a mini purchase is in my -ahem- Santa's near future.)
    "Take yourself lightly, but what you do seriously." - M. Martin XL BGE - Johnston, IA
  • billybon
    billybon Posts: 213
    I have both and recommend the SV as your first choice. The mini is a valued an added convenience that I would hate to part with. However, the SV has radically change my style of cooking and broadened my options is ways I could never have imagined.
  • Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564
    Mickey said:
    Mini
    +1
    Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • I appreciate all the info guys.  I will let you know which I end up getting.  Thanks!