Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brine Question

Options
Hello to all! I know this is a stupid question so here goes....when brining a turkey or anything for that matter do you put the container in the frig to keep it cool?
Brandon, MS

Comments

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    Yes, you need to keep it cool. Either in the fridge or a cooler with ice.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • loveTheEgg
    Options
    Thank you DMW!
    Brandon, MS
  • RLeeper
    RLeeper Posts: 480
    Options
    I have an igloo cooler dedicated to brining. It's the taller type. Works well
    Extra Large, Large, and Mini. Tucker, GA
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    edited November 2013
    Options
    +1 what Rleeper said with these further tweaks. I have a favorite brine that works best when the brine goes at least 3 days, but 4 days is even better. Starting with an extra large food safe plastic bag I put my bird in it and then pour in the cold brine. Seal that bag tightly and then place it in my tall red Rubber Maid (Igoo like water cooler) and then fill cooler with cold water and ice. That way the bird is immersed in the brine and then suspended in water within a cold environment. To keep track of what temperature is doing inside the sealed cooler I tape the probe of a cable type thermometer to the inside water and place the brains outside. I also place all of this in my unheated garage for the 3 to 4 days. Been doing this with smashing success for years now!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    @RRP care to share your brine recipe? Will be brining my first turkey this week.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    I got a 5 gallon bucket that I use for brining. Fits in the fridge good and I got a top for it so everyone that opens the fridge doesn't see it. Pay attention to the times the brine you choose say to brine for as the salt level is what determines the time you brine for. Some bribes say no more than 24 hours. A good tip if you are using a brine you have to heat up only use half the water it calls for and then throw ice in afterwards to cover the rest of the water. That way you aren't waiting hours to put your food in. Search the forum for turkey brines I have seen ruhlmans charcuterie turkey brine recipe posted here many times. Think I have even posted it before. Its really good.
    500 Posts: 3,177
    Options
    I like my butt rubbed and my pork pulled.
    Member since 2009
  • RRP
    Options
    DMW said:
    @RRP care to share your brine recipe? Will be brining my first turkey this week.

As I said this is a favorite - it is a brine recipe from the renowed John Ash and was first shared on the original BGE forum back in 2000 by Cat. Here is the link. BTW if you are new to brining you might want to try something more simple to see if you even like brined turkey - but to me I even  brine the occasional bird or breast even when they have that horrible injected crap as I feel the home made brine compensates for the industrial crap! Do I have an opinion? LOL  -  sure do!

http://www.greeneggers.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&Itemid=55&func=view&catid=1&id=18831

• ChuckChampion
    Options
    @DMW It seems like I'm always following in your footsteps. Starting my first turkey tomorrow. Looking forward to trying that brine Ron. Thanks bud!
  • RRP
    edited November 2013
    Options
    RRP said:
    +1 what Rleeper said with these further tweaks. I have a favorite brine that works best when the brine goes at least 3 days, but 4 days is even better. Starting with an extra large food safe plastic bag I put my bird in it and then pour in the cold brine. Seal that bag tightly and then place it in my tall red Rubber Maid (Igoo like water cooler) and then fill cooler with cold water and ice. That way the bird is immersed in the brine and then suspended in water within a cold environment. To keep track of what temperature is doing inside the sealed cooler I tape the probe of a cable type thermometer to the inside water and place the brains outside. I also place all of this in my unheated garage for the 3 to 4 days. Been doing this with smashing success for years now!
    Just in case some may not know what these tall coolers look like - here is mine that I bought years ago at Wally World. BTW the spicit at the bottom comes in handy if and when you need to drain some warmer water to add more ice during the 3 or 4 days in at the garage.
  • Terrebandit
    Terrebandit Posts: 1,750
    Options
    Brining can be as simple as a cup of Kosher salt dissolved in a gallon of water. Submerge the turkey and refrigerate for 12 hours. A couple big zip lock bags will work. Rinse the turkey good before you cook it.
    Dave - Austin, TX