Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Nuoc Mam Cham, is a famous Vietnamese dipping sauce.

I don't know about you but I like my food extremely flavorful. I use this dipping sauce on just about anything. It jacked up the vegetables that I had last evening with my BGE Spatchcock Chicken. Good on everything...beef, pork, chicken, vegetables, rice, you name it!  Recommended Fish Sauce is Viet Huong brand. Very mellow. Simply mix the following ingredients and store in the fridge overnight to blend the flavors. Will keep indefinitely in the refrigerator.

100 milliliters lime juice
400 milliliters water
6 tablespoons sugar
100 milliliters fish sauce
4 cloves garlic, minced
2 ea Thai pepper, very thinly sliced
2 teaspoon carrot, threads
LARGE, MINI BGE    SAN DIEGO, CA            An alcoholic with a barbecuing problem.

Comments

• Also called Three Crabs.  That's my goto fish sauce.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Good stuff chastens
    My wife and her family use rice vinegar instead of lime juice. The secret is balancing out the sweet, the tang, and the funky. Really, REALLY good on fried stuff! But as you said, about anything.

Cheers
    Chris
    DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • chashans
    chashans Posts: 418
    Good stuff chastens
    My wife and her family use rice vinegar instead of lime juice. The secret is balancing out the sweet, the tang, and the funky. Really, REALLY good on fried stuff! But as you said, about anything.

Cheers
    Chris
    Interesting about the rice vinegar...I will try it. Thanks!  
    LARGE, MINI BGE    SAN DIEGO, CA            An alcoholic with a barbecuing problem.

• gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    edited November 2013
    Thank you for the recipe. 2 questions. Do you strain out the solids after the overnight in the 'fridge?

Assuming that the carrot sections were sliced after the threads were removed, what did you use to cut the carrot threads out of the carrots?
  • chashans

gdenby said:
    Thank you for the recipe. 2 questions. Do you strain out the solids after the overnight in the 'fridge?

Assuming that the carrot sections were sliced after the threads were removed, what did you use to cut the carrot threads out of the carrots?
    I do not strain the sauce. After a meal I actually drink the remaining sauce, in the dipping bowl, because it is soooo good.  I use a zester to get fine carrot  shreds and a channel knife to V groove the carrot slices...which were only there as props.  http://www.amazon.com/Browne-Foodservice-574442-Stainless-Polypropylene/dp/B005PPXY5I/ref=sr_1_62?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1384797363&sr=1-62&keywords=garnish+tools

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Nothing like chugging fish sauce. Hopefully Whomever you kiss has also drank it ;)

The missuz uses a mandolin to cut the carrots in thin shreds, then pickles the carrots in garlic and other goodies. We use those carrots on a lot of different vietnamese dishes.

This conversation is making me hungry.
    Chris
    DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • chashans
    Nothing like chugging fish sauce. Hopefully Whomever you kiss has also drank it ;)

The missuz uses a mandolin to cut the carrots in thin shreds, then pickles the carrots in garlic and other goodies. We use those carrots on a lot of different vietnamese dishes.

Chris
    Great idea!  In the future I will also.  I wonder why my missuz didn't tell me about that.  :)

• I need some spring rolls right now!

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• chashans

Chris
    They make a nice condiment in those Vietnamese sandwiches.

• pwg56
    pwg56 Posts: 93
    Ah if only I was paying attention during the metric system classes ;)
  • chashans
    pwg56 said:
    Most U.S. system measuring cups have the Metric system printed on them also. I simply found this recipe easier to make using the Metric system.

• To paraphrase the cliché, quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur

Anything said in metric seems regal and impressive.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• chashans
    To paraphrase the cliché, quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur

Anything said in metric seems regal and impressive.
    You win.  :)

0.42 cup lime juice
    1 ⅔ cups water
    6 tablespoons sugar
    0.42 cup fish sauce
    4 cloves garlic, minced
    2 ea Thai pepper, very thinly sliced
    2 teaspoon carrot, threads

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,432
    chashans said:
    pwg56 said:
    Most U.S. system measuring cups have the Metric system printed on them also. I simply found this recipe easier to make using the Metric system.
    You still make us engineerds crazy.   ~X(

:P

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• Yet another unique thing about the US of A

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,674
    Yet another unique thing about the US of A
    pretty sure its the same down here as up there after a few drinks, seriously, a couple limes, equal amount of fish sauce, water it down, two handfuls of sugar, some garlic, thai peppers, and some carrot slivers. taste it, another squeeze of lime
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it