Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Blew my gasket!

Options
Had my LBGE for about 2 months now, love it, and am still experimenting. Anyway, in an effort to do some pizzas yesterday, one of them stuck to the stone so I thought I'd burn off the remnants and consider it a lesson learned. Well, the result was a bigger lesson, after maybe 10 minutes we were looking at about 900 degrees! Lifted the lid and the gasket peeled off in several places, not what I was hoping for obviously. Shut her down and called it a day. Actually, I called it a bit more than but that's not important. So, up early this morning, got online and ordered the Nomex hi-temp gasket kit and it should be here Thursday. Anyone out there with experience using this kit? Did a little checking and was satisfied this was a good one to order. Hopefully, with a little luck, I can get this baby back in business by the weekend so as to do our Thanksgiving turkey on it next week. Comments, suggestions, and sarcastic remarks welcomed.
Cherry Hill, NJ

Comments

• Hoov
    Hoov Posts: 264
    Options
    Mine has been crispy for a while now, and I have had my Egg for about 6 months. Sorry, no experience with the Nomex. I will probably grab a Rutland when I decide I need a new gasket. Your Egg should work fine without the gasket, so don't worry about replacing before turkey-day
    - Proud owner of a Large BGE
    - Norman, OK
  • SmokinDAWG82
    Options
    I replaced mine with the nomex, was not too hard I watched this but you can check You Tube for a lot of info

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bw47jHxIFLE

LBGE
    Go Dawgs! - Marietta, GA
  • bvc
    bvc Posts: 37
    Options
    Toasted my original gasket doing pizzas as well.  Rolled with it until I totally baked it in an 'accidental' clean burn.  Ordered up a nomex gasket on amazon and have been using it for over a year now.  It has some char in places, but is holding up much better. 

If you haven't already, watch a video or two on youtube.  It is pretty straightforward and easy to prep and install the nomex, I would just suggest that you apply the gasket a little off of the inside edge (firebox facing edge). 
    Kenmore, WA
    Large and Small BGE
  • queued
    queued Posts: 50
    Options
    From what I can tell, every gasket on a BGE is destined to fail.  I would just get a Cotronics or Rutland gasket when that happens.  Either is likely to last for many, many years.
    Raleigh, NC
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    like hoov said, you don't need a gasket to run the egg. as a matter of fact, you are supposed to wait 24 hrs before cooking on a new gasket so I go months between replacing them because i hate it when my egg is down. I'm probably 50/50 gasket/gasketless these days. Just did a new one because I took my egg apart to do a little maintenance. didn't have a gasket (or very much of one) for 6 months prior. I don't notice any difference.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Little Steven
    Options
    like hoov said, you don't need a gasket to run the egg. as a matter of fact, you are supposed to wait 24 hrs before cooking on a new gasket so I go months between replacing them because i hate it when my egg is down. I'm probably 50/50 gasket/gasketless these days. Just did a new one because I took my egg apart to do a little maintenance. didn't have a gasket (or very much of one) for 6 months prior. I don't notice any difference.
    I finally called RRP and put Rutlands on all my eggs. Saving a ton on lump. I don't use the green caps, just shut the daisy. I went years without gaskets but rarely had any lump after a hot cook.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    I finally called RRP and put Rutlands on all my eggs. Saving a ton on lump. I don't use the green caps, just shut the daisy. I went years without gaskets but rarely had any lump after a hot cook.

That will be my next call. I'll see if we can't swing a deal on some dry bags while I'm at it.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Little Steven
    Options
    B-)

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• vettes2
    Options
    The gasket definitely helps putting out the fire.  I had an almost new  gasket lift and tear. Cheese fell off and stuck it to lid.  i put a bead of  Automotive  RTV gasket maker from the tube and placed a piece of parchment paper
    on that and closed the lid.

That night I trimmed away the excess paper. 6 months later it is still there.
  • laserdoc85
    Options
    do I need to put a gasket on the top and bottom or does it matter
    Jefferson .GA.  
    Been egging since 1985 on a medium egg
  • minniemoh
    minniemoh Posts: 2,145
    Options
    I have switched to Rutland gaskets too. Just put one on over the weekend. Hoping to be set for years now.

If you use a Rutland, you only install it on the bottom. Since you don't have a gasket on the lid, you don't have to worry about gasket issues with an open lid and very high heat. 
    L x2, M, S, Mini and a Blackstone 36. She says I have enough now....
    eggAddict from MN!
  • SmokinOutBack
    Options
    Appreciate all the comments guys, if it's nice this weekend I'll replace them, if not at least I can still do our bird on turkey day which is important to me. I've done a couple spatchcock chickens on the Egg and they absolutely rock.
    Cherry Hill, NJ