Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

American Style Brown Sugar Glazed Holiday Ham From Charcuterie

Options

Comments

• Powderhound
    Options
    Hoov said:
    @DMW thanks. I just ordered some with amazon prime. Should be here the same day the ham is ready to be picked up. Now I need to find some enormous ziploc bags.
    Thanks Hoov, I just ordered some pink salt on amazon.  
    I found this on Amazon.  Not sure how the price compares.  If you have prime it will get to you in a couple of days.  

Just ordered some!  Thanks for the post.  
    Large, Medium, Mini, and Mini Max, a few too many accessories, 2 kids, 1 dog, and original wife.  Lover of winter, powdery snow, and lots of golf.  
  • Powderhound
    Options
    One would think an uncured "green" ham would be easy to find.  Called two local locations, one had not a clue and the other was going to take a week.  Called the one I should have called originally and sure enough knew exactly what I needed. I recommend a butcher shop thats been around for a while to help.  
    Large, Medium, Mini, and Mini Max, a few too many accessories, 2 kids, 1 dog, and original wife.  Lover of winter, powdery snow, and lots of golf.  
  • Hoov
    Hoov Posts: 264
    Options
    Haha, glad you got a hold of one. I called my butcher and they knew what I was talking about, but didn't have any at the moment because apparently they had no other requests for them. They get deliveries every Wednesday, so mine will come in then. I'm having them cut it in half, because they said it would be like 20-25 lbs. I guess I'll do one for thanksgiving, and do the other half some other time.
    - Proud owner of a Large BGE
    - Norman, OK
  • Powderhound
    Options

Hoov said:
    Haha, glad you got a hold of one. I called my butcher and they knew what I was talking about, but didn't have any at the moment because apparently they had no other requests for them. They get deliveries every Wednesday, so mine will come in then. I'm having them cut it in half, because they said it would be like 20-25 lbs. I guess I'll do one for thanksgiving, and do the other half some other time.
    I hear ya!! The last place I called, the good one, had two options, a bone in and was 20 to 25 lbs and a boneless is about 10 lbs.  I went with the smaller boneless.  I want to ham to complement the turkey as an extra to try.   This too will be my first one.
  • Hoov
    Options
    @Powderhound Great! Good luck with the ham and post your results! This is my first time to host thanksgiving (I guess you know you are an adult when the parents come to the kid's house?) and I want to impress. It will be my first turkey and first fresh ham. I think the ham will be the star, as I just got a 16 lb frozen butterball. Might spatchcock it ala @Mickey if it will fit.
    - Norman, OK
  • Powderhound
    Options
    Hoov said:
    @Powderhound Great! Good luck with the ham and post your results! This is my first time to host thanksgiving (I guess you know you are an adult when the parents come to the kid's house?) and I want to impress. It will be my first turkey and first fresh ham. I think the ham will be the star, as I just got a 16 lb frozen butterball. Might spatchcock it ala @Mickey if it will fit.
    Good luck with the maiden voyage!  I always get an organic, non injected bird and also brine him for 24 hrs.  He will brine while the ham does its 24 hour rest out of the brine.  Bird will be done in the oven on Convection Roast.  We've had the family here for years.  Keep in mind, if the ham is a hit you will be hosting for many years to come.  
  • Hoov
    Options
    Sounds like a good plan. Maybe I will try a non-pre-injected bird for Christmas.
    - Norman, OK
  • Powderhound
    Options
    Hoov said:
    Sounds like a good plan. Maybe I will try a non-pre-injected bird for Christmas.
    Make sure it is never frozen. 
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    I guess this is the new "centex" ham method. Damn you... Your brisket and your ham.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    henapple said:
    I guess this is the new "centex" ham method. Damn you... Your brisket and your ham.

well.....considering I stole this one right from a cook book, I guess this can't be mine. The brisket I slaved over for years trying to figure it out. The ham might even be better. Can't wait.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Little Steven
    Options
    I did it in a giant zip lock brine bag and used a cooler with ice out in the garage. I don't have a spare fridge at the moment but the cooler worked perfectly. Changed ice once in the week it was in there
    If you would like to send me the ham, the cure and the seasonings I could put it in my garage for you and you wouldn't need any ice.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    The Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 22,961
    edited November 2013
    Options
    91 here yesterday. 74 today. can't trust it to be cool down here this time of year.........or any other.
  • Little Steven
    Options
    Went from 45* this morning to 26* tonight.....We're for it now. Be a stinking hamsicle in my garage now

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Just bought my ham at whole foods again. $4.99 per lb.
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    Seems like an uncured ham should be cheaper since they didn't have to do anything to it but cut it off the pig! 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options

Is the skin already removed or do you take it off? I can get it cheaper with skin on, not sure if its worth the effort.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Seems like an uncured ham should be cheaper since they didn't have to do anything to it but cut it off the pig! 
    It's whole foods..................enough said
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    DMW said:
    Is the skin already removed or do you take it off? I can get it cheaper with skin on, not sure if its worth the effort.
    skin on...............see my last post^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    It's whole foods..................enough said
    Whole paycheck.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• bdub60
    bdub60 Posts: 31
    Options
    I did it in a giant zip lock brine bag and used a cooler with ice out in the garage. I don't have a spare fridge at the moment but the cooler worked perfectly. Changed ice once in the week it was in there

Where did you get your giant zip lock?  I've looked for these but can't seem to find them.
    Guns Up! Roll Tide!
  • Little Steven
    Options
    DMW said:
    skin on...............see my last post^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    You really are kind of a big deal around here aren't you?

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Hoov
    Options
    @Bdub60 I picked up some XL ziplocs at Walmart.
    - Norman, OK
  • Hoov
    Options
    Cen-Tex, do you happen to have an approximate volume measurement for the pink salt? It is the only ingredient in the recipe you listed with only a weight. I don't have a scale yet. I realize the size of the salt grind will have an effect, but I don't even have a ball park volume estimate.
    - Norman, OK
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Hoov said:
    Cen-Tex, do you happen to have an approximate volume measurement for the pink salt? It is the only ingredient in the recipe you listed with only a weight. I don't have a scale yet. I realize the size of the salt grind will have an effect, but I don't even have a ball park volume estimate.
    Hoov- pink salt does not have a grind- it's fine. I'll go measure it now and give you a volume estimate

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    I forgot to mention that the you remove the skin from the ham and also remove the aitch bone if your ham has one. The aitch bone is essentially the hip ball and socket and it has a lot of tendon and connective tissue around it. Here is how to do that: 

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Hoov said:
    Hoov- it's 8 teaspoons. The book actually has this measurement listed beside the weight measures so it should be good.

Get a scale when you can though. If you enjoy this type of cooking and curing, you will use it a lot.

• Hoov
    Options

Hoov said:

Hoov- it's 8 teaspoons. The book actually has this measurement listed beside the weight measures so it should be good.

Get a scale when you can though. If you enjoy this type of cooking and curing, you will use it a lot.

Thanks so much! A scale is on the to-buy list. I had planned on starting the ham today, but the pink salt didn't come in today. Tracking says it's in Norman, OK and will be delivered tomorrow. Picked up my ham today, it was 21 lbs. I had the butcher cut it in two, and they packaged the hock separately too (I guess I can make soup with this?). I'm guessing I will have to remove the skin and the aitch bone, but I didn't open the butcher paper yet since the salt didn't arrive today. Thanks for that video link, I'll check it out. My plan is to do one 10 lb section for thanksgiving and one for Christmas. Do you think I should go ahead and freeze the other half, or freeze after it's cured/smoked?

Thanks again for your help with this.

- Norman, OK
  • DMW
    Options
    Cen TeX How long after the smoke can you keep in the fridge before reheat? How about freezing after smoke/before reheat? I want to do one for Christmas and trying to plan timing.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    I would say at least a week since it's cured and smoked. Probably several weeks but no reason to go that long. You can freeze it but I would recommend trying not to if you can help it.
  • DMW
    Options

I would say at least a week since it's cured and smoked. Probably several weeks but no reason to go that long. You can freeze it but I would recommend trying not to if you can help it.

Thanks! A week is plenty of buffer time.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA