Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cast iron recommendations

Options
Thinking of asking Santa for a cast iron skillet. Any pointers on what to look for? I'm primarily looking to be able to sear steaks.
XL BGE; CyberQ Wifi; Adjustable Rig, Woo2 Green Bay, Wisconsin

Comments

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    New: Lodge 12 inch.

Antique: Griswold or Wagner. Lots on ebay/CL
  • Brisket_Fanatic
    Options
    +1 - 12" lodge

NW IA

2 LBGE, 1 SBGE, 22.5 WSM, 1 Smokey Joe

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    They both nailed it.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Skiddymarker
    Options
    Check out TJ Maxx - they have a never ending selection of CI, most by Lodge. Some really good deals if there is a store near you.
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Bustersdad
    Options
    I've been watching eBay...I've purchased a Wagner Dutch Oven and Griddle.  Have to be patient, lots of people spending lots of money.
  • ShadowNick
    Options
    Also, if you ever find yourself driving through TN, the Lodge Factory store as a huge section of "cosmetic defect" stuff you can get 1/5 the price that work just as well as the stuff that passes QA
    Pentwater, MI
  • allsid
    allsid Posts: 492
    Options
    On Sat I was in Shopko

do you have those in your area?

Lodge skillets were $ 19.99

Good price-  Good luck!
    Proud resident of Missoula, MT
    https://www.facebook.com/GrillingMontana
    http://grillingmontana.com
    https://instagram.com/grillingmontana

Check out my book on Kamado cooking called Exclusively Kamado:
    http://bit.ly/kamadobook

• Eggcelsior
    edited November 2013
    Options
    I've been watching eBay...I've purchased a Wagner Dutch Oven and Griddle.  Have to be patient, lots of people spending lots of money.
    Look for auctions ending in the middle of the night(Lots end at midnight pacific) and use an app like Myibidder o bid up to your threshold within preset parameters of the auction ending.I've scored Griswold griddles for really cheap compared to what they typically average.
  • yzzi
    yzzi Posts: 1,843
    Options
    Go scout out some consignment stores, garage sales, craigslist, and fleamarkets. You can probably get some for a few bucks.
    Dunedin, FL
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,029
    edited November 2013
    Options
    (If you find some older pieces that need restoring)

Focker has restored many pieces and all turn out beautiful:

http://www.greeneggers.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=1227398&catid=1#
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • ChuckChampion
    Options
    +1 on the lodge.  They are great, and reasonably priced
  • Kruegs
    Kruegs Posts: 128
    edited November 2013
    Options
    Thanks for all the comments everyone!  So is there a difference between the lodge and some of the high-end (i.e. expensive) cast iron?
    XL BGE; CyberQ Wifi; Adjustable Rig, Woo2 Green Bay, Wisconsin
  • Eggcelsior
    Options
    Kruegs said:
    Thanks for all the comments everyone!  So is there a difference between the lodge and some of the high-end (i.e. expensive) cast iron?
    What used to be high-end was everyman cookware that hasn't been made for over 50 years.Wagner and Griswold had excellent composition of ore and were machined at the foundry to give them a flat, ice-like finish. The bottoms are quite thin so they heat up more quickly and evenly while still maintaining the thermal properties of CI. If you knock on the bottom you get a bell-like ringing unlike Lodge, which is more of a clink/thunk. Just look at some of the better examples on ebay and you will see the glass-like appearance. This can be accomplished with Lodge by taking a grinder to the cooking surface and smoothing it out.

Otherwise, the only difference is the fact that it is no longer made. I'd recommend one that needs refinishing because collectors are looking for prime examples(meaning premium prices). Yard sales and estate sales are great. You can find an old pan in the back of someone's cabinet with years of wear for a few bucks and have it like new with some elbow grease. It kind of annoys me to see when perfectly usable pans are hanging on someones wall as decoration when they could be in use, but I totally understand why they do it- it's classic Americana. No matter where you get it, someone's grandmother made many a meal in it so it holds quite the intrinsic value for some, unlike buying a new piece.

Lastly, if you go with an antique, watch out for pitting. It can be all the way through the pan and covered by grime/dirt.
  • yzzi
    yzzi Posts: 1,843
    Options
    And to add to @Eggcelsior good tips is make sure the bottom is flat. Easiest way to test is to put in on a flat surface and give it a spin. If it spins, there's a bump on the bottom somewhere preventing it from laying flat. If it doesn't spin, it's flat bottomed.
    Dunedin, FL