Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

? about mad max turkey

Options
awm
awm Posts: 181
edited November 2013 in EggHead Forum
Just a couple questions about the set up. I plan on trying it out this weekend just to make sure I do ok before the the main event. First, if I understand correctly you just put the bird on a V rack and then set that in a roasting pan? Second, do you have to take the grid off and cook right over the PS, I do not have any BGE feet to use under the roasting pan if so. Im sure I could round something up to use if you cant cook on the grid. I think that's all.... for now ha, but if anyone has any tips feel free to let me know. 

Comments

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    What size egg do you have and what size turkey are you doing? If it fits sitting on the cooking grid, you are fine. And yes on the V rack in a roasting pan. One tip suggested to me is to turn the platesetter so the "Y" opening is toward the back and put the bird is legs back. This will allow the higher heat from the back of the egg to help finish the dark meat.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • awm
    Options
    I have a Large and am planning on probably a 10-15 pound bird, and thanks for the advice on the platesetter
  • twelvebeer
    Options
    I did a practice bird yesterday. 12 pounder. The ice over breast trick worked perfect!
  • awm
    Options
    Ive never even cooked a turkey, much less one for a day when the entire family is together... I figure a practice run was a must haha.
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    @awm I did my first turkey ever last week, did Mad Max as well. Lots of folks gave some good tips along the way. We're hosting my side of the family for Thanksgiving this Sunday since schedules conflicted for actual Thanksgiving, this was my trial run.

They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • awm
    Options

DMW I saw that you used a throw away pan. Does anyone know what size I would need to use for the large egg?

• Little Steven
    Options

awm said:

DMW I saw that you used a throw away pan. Does anyone know what size I would need to use for the large egg?

Just get the big one and shape it in where you need to. I use spacers if not using the disposable pan.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• loveTheEgg
    Options
    I bought this today at Kroger for 2 bucks! My V rack fits perfect! This is what I will be using.
    Brandon, MS
  • awm
    Options

One more question. How long do yall think it will be ok with cover with foil and wrap a towel around it before serving? Im cooking at my house then bringing it to the in laws.

• BigGreenBamaGriller
    Options
    Last year I did the turkey at my house and drove to the family meeting house about 1.5 hours away. It was probably 30 minutes before we carved the bird after we arrived and it was still piping hot.
    Killen, AL (The Shoals)
    XL, Small, Minimax, and Mini BGEs
  • awm
    Options
    Alright guys the turkey has been on for about 2 hours. The only thing I'm concerned with is there is not that much drippings to baste it with, and I'm worried that May affect the gravy. Is this normal or do I need to add some liquid?
  • Little Steven
    Options
    As I remember Max, the stinking Caps fan, used like a pound of butter and half a bottle of wine to start the process. That is a start for basting. The other thing you can do is skim the stock and pour that into the roasting pan. Get a few packs of wings and put them in stock to add fat and flavour.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• awm
    Options
    Thanks a lot I just basted it with some of the stock, and I'll have to remember the wing idea next time.
  • awm
    Options
    Turned out great. The gravy had just a little to much wine taste, but was still good.