Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It feels as though we’ve waited forever for college football to start, and finally the wait is over! Check out our tailgating page for recipes that are sure to become fan favorites. As an added bonus, the day before Labor Day is National Bacon Day and we don’t know about you, but we like putting bacon on anything and everything, so we’ll definitely be celebrating that. It's time to think about getting out to one of the many #EGGfests around the country - see a list here

American Style Brown Sugar Glazed Holiday Ham From Charcuterie

The Cen-Tex SmokerThe Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 11,100
edited November 2013 in EggHead Forum
This recipe is from: Charcuterie by Michael Ruhlman and Brian Polcyn. You should all own this book if you are at all interested in brining, smoking, curing and using your egg to it's full potential. Great book.

This is the ham I did last year for Thanksgiving and I'll never go back to store bought again. It was destroyed in minutes.

The Brine:

1 Gallon (4 liters) of Water
1.5 cups (350 grams)  Kosher Salt
2 packed Cups (360 grams) packed dark brown sugar
1.5 ounces (42 grams) pink salt
1 12-15lb fresh ham (skin and aitch bone removed)

The Glaze:

1.5 packed cups (270 grams) Dark Brown Sugar
3/4 cup (185 ml) dijon mustard
1 tbsp (20 grams) minced garlic

The Cook:

1) Combine all brine ingredients into container large enough to hold the ham. Stir to dissolve the salt and sugar. Submerge ham in the brine and weigh it down to keep it completely submerged. let is soak for 6-8 days (half day per lb/450 grams).

2) Remove the ham and rinse under cool water, pat dry. Place it on a rack to dry in the fridge for 12-24 hours

3) Hot smoke the ham at 200 degrees for 2 hrs (I used apple wood)

4) meanwhile mix the brown sugar, dijon, and garlic in a bowl until smooth. Brush the ham with the glaze (reserve the rest) return the ham to the smoker and smoke until it reaches 155F (68c).

5) Remove the ham from the smoker and brush with remaining glaze. Allow to cool and refrigerate.

6) To serve, slice and sere cold or reheat in 275F oven until warm to the center..We rewarmed and it was fantastic.

Comments