Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First Brisket = B-

Options
I am having issues with my Egg . The Gasket is a mess in the back and it is throwing the lid of  the egg a bit so the temperature would not stabilize.
My gasket is under warranty and the lovely people from the store I bought the egg at will be over this week to fix it .
That said I cooked a 12 lb packer from my local butcher and it was delicious .
it was my first one so I know it will only get better . I made some silly mistakes and was having to tend to the egg alot
I had the Maverick set to 215-250 and  the temp dropped under 215 3 times in the middle of the night ( Yes I was furious) .
Anyway enough of me complaining .
here are the pics  .

let me know what you think and feel free to be honest
Toronto

Comments

• Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,834
    edited November 2013
    Options

"let me know what you think and feel free to be honest"

It looks at least as good as my first brisket - meaning it looks like it probably had good flavor but was a little dry.

I tend to grade my briskets on 3 factors: taste/flavor, tenderness (it can be sliced thin without falling apart, but you can pull the slices apart with a gentle tug), and moistness.  I mark it down from an "A" for deficiencies in any of those categories.  I'm convinced that the key to tenderness is selecting the right brisket - it took me a while to figure that out despite reading it on here...

So, if your flavor was good and it was reasonably tender, I would probably grade your effort as somewhere between B and A- depending on how dry it was and the other factors.  It wouldn't suprise me if you are being a little hard on yourself because most of us are that way.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• pantsypants
    pantsypants Posts: 1,191
    Options
    Dont get me wrong it was amazing !!
    but i just know it can and will get way better !!
    thanks
    Toronto
  • RandallB
    Options

Good smoke ring!  Looks good.

I have had good luck with foiling it at 160 degrees internal for the rest of the cook.

If you are grading yourself compared to Boston Butts...it is just going to be different, way less fat (that is a good thing).

Do another one soon.  I am way overdue....gotta do one myself.

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,337
    Options
    @pantsypants-I wasn't there so I won't comment other than to say that if you and whomever else enjoyed it then it was a hit.  Pics look great and @Foghorn is right about how hard we grade our efforts compared to those that just consume the end-product.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • SMITTYtheSMOKER
    Options
    I suggest you watch and learn to adjust your dome yourself.  Installing a new gasket isn't that difficult, doing this yourself will give you more confidence when this issue returns later in your egg's life.   JMHO 

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

• SmokinDAWG82
    Options
    Looks good enough and youre right it will get better. Even not so great Egged food is better than most other food.
    LBGE
    Go Dawgs! - Marietta, GA