Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Baking Bread, thanks Cookinbob!

There was nothing worth watching on the Falcons Game today so I decided to try baking bread on the Egg. Used a thread from @Cookinbob. Made my dough yesterday and started a loaf today. More pics to follow
LBGE
Go Dawgs! - Marietta, GA

Comments

• Done, good but a little too denseimage
    LBGE
    Go Dawgs! - Marietta, GA
  • I'd say this was a fail, Probably just me but any suggestions?
    LBGE
    Go Dawgs! - Marietta, GA
  • I am not an expert on the subject but looks too wet or underdone???
    LBGE 4/2012, MBGE 6/2012 & Mini 11/2013
    Rome, GA
  • Jebpot
    Jebpot Posts: 374

take internal temp to 200 degree.

XL and Small

Chattanooga, TN

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Could be underdone.or it could be under or over proofed. I had really dense bread a couple weeks ago when I didn't let it rise long enough before baking. The house was pretty cold, and I needed to bake it.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Cookinbob
    Cookinbob Posts: 1,691
    Congrats on the first try.  Not the ideal result, but we learn from the experience.

My guess is that the dough was a little wet, and your yeast may have been old.   Also, How long did you bake and at what temp?, egg or oven, and how long did you preheat?
    XLBGE, Small BGE, Homebrew and Guitars
    Rochester, NY
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Bread is a different animal. I find it helpful to give a little "thump" and listen for a hollow sound. Of course this is dependant on the type of bread we're baking. And like a brisket there is some feel to it not just purely temp. I am NO expert but, thus far my breads have turned out very well. I have been following recipes from an old Sicilian recipe book that I picked up when I was in the service and some recipes off of Pinterest as well. Explore different recipes and different ideas of preparing them and you will be amazed of how many easy & quick ways you can bake bread. Then you'll have to tweak it to yourself on the BGE. Goodluck:-)
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Cookinbob
    On a second look, just based on the color, I would say the bread is underdone.  You want that egg and stone well preheated at 450 when you put it on.  
    Rochester, NY
  • DMW
    If you want to really understand bread (and pizza) a great book is Flour Water Salt Yeast by Ken Forkish. My first levain just matured today, after tomorrow's feeding I'm planning to start my first naturally leavened bread.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    Looks like one of my fails, bread not rising before cooking.
    I have a SF sourdough starter I paid $30 for with a nice container from William& Sonoma. I got it up and going over 3 day fermentation period. The smell and bubbles are there, flavor is awesome but the damn thing won't rise my bread enough if at all.
    I have been needing to add yeast to make use of any sponge , hopefully it will kick in on its own at one point. Love the flavor and smell it has.
    Seattle, WA
  • I baked in the Egg at 425, I let it rest for 45 min. It was a cold and rainy day. Preheated Egg for about 40 min. Baked for about 40 minutes. Think my dough was too wet. I;m wondering what to do with the rest of the dough. maybe try and add in some more flour or just toss it and start over.
    LBGE
    Go Dawgs! - Marietta, GA
  • DMurf
    DMurf Posts: 481
    You might try to use the remaining dough for pizza.
    David
    BBQ since 2010 - Oh my, what I was missing.
  • DMW
    @SmokinDAWG82 Probably underdone. I usually bake bread at 475° for about 50 minutes. At 425° for 45 min I think it was just underdone. If you have a dutch oven you could try baking in your oven as a control test. 

Shape and proof your boule. To check if your dough is done proofing use the "finger dent test". Push your finger in the boule about 1/2 inch. If the dent springs back quickly, it's not ready yet. If it doesn't spring back at all, it's over proofed. If it slowly comes back, it's perfect.  

Preheat your dutch oven with lid on in your oven at 475° for at least 45 minutes. Usually my dough takes about 1 - 1.25 hours to proof so I turn the oven on right after I finish shaping. Very carefully place the boule in the dutch oven. I usually proof with the seam down, then flip it so seam side is up in the dutch oven. No need to score if you do this. 

Bake for 30 minutes with the lid on. Then remove the lid from the dutch oven and continue to bake for another 20 minutes or until your crust looks done. Check at 15 minutes after removing lid in case your oven runs hot. I recommend a dial type oven thermometer so you know how your oven is actually running. In my case if I want 475° I set it for 460°. 

Good luck, it takes a bit, but it's so worth it to have fresh bread whenever you want. 

They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

• Cookinbob
    You could try to work some more flour into the dough by kneading it in.  Easier would be to use the dough for focaccia or pizza.  Ciabatta bread is also made with very wet dough, so you do not need to toss it. I often do a flatbread topped with olive oil and herbs or sea salt.  It is awesome.

If you want to pursue this futher, I recommend the book "Artisan Bread in Five Minutes a day", it is under $15 at Amazon.  There is also a wealth of info on the authors web site http://www.artisanbreadinfive.com/.  Check out the FAQ's.

Lastly, there are lots of Youtube videos, just search on Artisan Bread in Five Minutes a Day.

I'll bet your next attempt is an improvement!
    Rochester, NY
  • Luvflt
    Luvflt Posts: 63
    Not an expert but have learned a few things about bread. Water temp when mixing with yeast is important. Can't be too hot or too cold. Yeast must be fresh or within expiration date. Also, major point here when kneading dough must reach at least 85 degrees. That is when you know you are done kneading. It needs that temp for ingredients to do its magic. Dough should be translucent when strreaching and not tear. In your case as was mentioned the bread looked as if it wasn't proofed enough and didn't rest long after you mixed it. Dough needs to  proof until twice the size.
    Palm City, FL
  • SmokinDAWG82
    SmokinDAWG82 Posts: 1,705
    edited November 2013
    Thanks for all the feedback, I see several areas where I made mistakes, but I'm not giving up. I know my yeast was fresh. Probably added too much water to the dough. Didn't cook at high enough temp or for long enough. You live you learn. I'm diving back in Going to try to salvage the other loaf and cook it tomorrow. Will post results. If it doesn't work I'll start over again :\">

Oh yeah, I'm ordering the book!
    LBGE
    Go Dawgs! - Marietta, GA
  • OK 2nd try, I added flour to the dough last night, kneaded it in and back in fridge. Tonight I let it rest for 45 min and baked in Egg at 450 for 50 min
    LBGE
    Go Dawgs! - Marietta, GA
  • SmokinDAWG82
    SmokinDAWG82 Posts: 1,705
    edited November 2013
    Just cut in, it was better, but still need work.nI'll keep trying!
    LBGE
    Go Dawgs! - Marietta, GA