Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

American Style Brown Sugar Glazed Holiday Ham From Charcuterie

The Cen-Tex Smoker
The Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 22,951
edited November 2013 in EggHead Forum
This recipe is from: Charcuterie by Michael Ruhlman and Brian Polcyn. You should all own this book if you are at all interested in brining, smoking, curing and using your egg to it's full potential. Great book.

This is the ham I did last year for Thanksgiving and I'll never go back to store bought again. It was destroyed in minutes.

The Brine:

1 Gallon (4 liters) of Water
1.5 cups (350 grams)  Kosher Salt
2 packed Cups (360 grams) packed dark brown sugar
1.5 ounces (42 grams) pink salt
1 12-15lb fresh ham (skin and aitch bone removed)

The Glaze:

1.5 packed cups (270 grams) Dark Brown Sugar
3/4 cup (185 ml) dijon mustard
1 tbsp (20 grams) minced garlic

The Cook:

1) Combine all brine ingredients into container large enough to hold the ham. Stir to dissolve the salt and sugar. Submerge ham in the brine and weigh it down to keep it completely submerged. let is soak for 6-8 days (half day per lb/450 grams).

2) Remove the ham and rinse under cool water, pat dry. Place it on a rack to dry in the fridge for 12-24 hours

3) Hot smoke the ham at 200 degrees for 2 hrs (I used apple wood)

4) meanwhile mix the brown sugar, dijon, and garlic in a bowl until smooth. Brush the ham with the glaze (reserve the rest) return the ham to the smoker and smoke until it reaches 155F (68c).

5) Remove the ham from the smoker and brush with remaining glaze. Allow to cool and refrigerate.

6) To serve, slice and sere cold or reheat in 275F oven until warm to the center..We rewarmed and it was fantastic.

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX

Comments

• And here it was 5 minutes later

• Thanks Centex !!!  I think I'll have to get the butcher at HEB to order one.  I bet they don't sell them normally.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• Thanks Centex !!!  I think I'll have to get the butcher at HEB to order one.  I bet they don't sell them normally.
    I got mine at whole foods downtown last year. They cut it to order off the hind quarter and had a bunch in stock. I'm headed down there in  few to grab one. I'll let you know what they have.

You will love this ham.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    The Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 22,951
    edited November 2013
    If you don't have pink salt, Academy carries it this time of year. It's on the aisle with all the jerky/sausage/deer processing stuff. It super cheap and I'm going to go clean them out this afternoon. If I get there before you, I'll hold a bottle for you. If for some reason they are out, I have a pound that I bought on line. I'll gladly share some with you.

We are making bacon every week now so I go through a bit of it.

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    That book is on my wish list. Thanks for the notes on it, helps move it to front of the line.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • DMW said:
    That book is on my wish list. Thanks for the notes on it, helps move it to front of the line.
    Just get it for Christmas or earlier. I've used it dozens of times in the year I've had it. You will never regret having this book. By far the cookbook I use the most.

• lakewade
    lakewade Posts: 385
    Thanks.  We did a test run turkey on the egg a few weeks back and it was great.  I'm going to try this too and add them both into the holiday rotation (if I can pull this off that is - the turkey was epic).  All these years frying turkey for me has been the go to - this year it's smoked.  Nice cook dude.

-----------
    I feel a whole lot more like I do now than I did when I got here.
  • Nice layout!  Can you please explain how you used the egg to make this ham?  I am assuming indirect.  Also, what do you mean by hot smoked with the applewood?  Thanks! 
    Large, Medium, Mini, and Mini Max, a few too many accessories, 2 kids, 1 dog, and original wife.  Lover of winter, powdery snow, and lots of golf.  
  • lakewade said:

Thanks.  We did a test run turkey on the egg a few weeks back and it was great.  I'm going to try this too and add them both into the holiday rotation (if I can pull this off that is - the turkey was epic).  All these years frying turkey for me has been the go to - this year it's smoked.  Nice cook dude.

I have all the pink salt etc. come on down and I'll get you set up.
  • DMW

DMW said:

Just get it for Christmas or earlier. I've used it dozens of times in the year I've had it. You will never regret having this book. By far the cookbook I use the most.

SWMBO was doing an Amazon order tonight and asks me wasn't there a book you wanted? Its on the way, early Christmas gift.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • @dmw- score. You will love it.

@powderhound- I used the egg to do all the hot smoking of the ham. I smoked it at 200 degrees indirect with apple wood chunks. 
  • lakewade said:
    How did you do the turkey? let's have a beer and discuss this week. I have all that lump from the pallet buy we did coming in wed or thursday so I'll bring some down to the casa and we will solve problems. You here this week?
  • lakewade
    lakewade Posts: 385
    How did you do the turkey? let's have a beer and discuss this week. I have all that lump from the pallet buy we did coming in wed or thursday so I'll bring some down to the casa and we will solve problems. You here this week?
    Yes - this week is good.  Turkey:  Brined it and then smoked it in the egg.  It was outstanding.  Talk to you soon.

-----------
    I feel a whole lot more like I do now than I did when I got here.
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    lakewade said:

Yes - this week is good.  Turkey:  Brined it and then smoked it in the egg.  It was outstanding.  Talk to you soon.

Jesus, get a room you two!

• BigWader
    BigWader Posts: 673
    And here it was 5 minutes later

What I don't understand about the process from Charcuterie - and maybe you know why- but most ham recipes I have seen recommend/encourage/say you must inject the brine around the bone, and even then, let it sit in brine for a longer period of time. 

Obviously your ham turned out great and was fully cured to the bone so I'm wondering why it others are so adamant about injection around the bone?

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/89979/from-hog-leg-to-easter-ham

Toronto, Canada

Large BGE, Small BGE

• BigWader said:
    And here it was 5 minutes later

What I don't understand about the process from Charcuterie - and maybe you know why- but most ham recipes I have seen recommend/encourage/say you must inject the brine around the bone, and even then, let it sit in brine for a longer period of time. 

Obviously your ham turned out great and was fully cured to the bone so I'm wondering why it others are so adamant about injection around the bone?

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/89979/from-hog-leg-to-easter-ham

wish I could tell you but this is the only one I've done so I don't have any other reference. I trust the book so I just follow what they say to do. I can tell you it was by far the best ham I've ever had and it was fully cured with no injecting

• Hoov
    Hoov Posts: 264
    How difficult was this process? I'm thinking about doing it, but I've never cured anything before.
    - Proud owner of a Large BGE
    - Norman, OK
  • Hoov said:
    How difficult was this process? I'm thinking about doing it, but I've never cured anything before.
    If you can pour water in a container, you can do this. It's not hard, it just takes time for the brine to do it's work.

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Thanks for the inspiration Cen-Tex.  That looks amazing.  It does sound pretty simple- just takes some time and planning. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Hoov
    What kind of container did you use for the brine? It would have to be pretty large, but still fit in the fridge, right?
    - Norman, OK
  • I did it in a giant zip lock brine bag and used a cooler with ice out in the garage. I don't have a spare fridge at the moment but the cooler worked perfectly. Changed ice once in the week it was in there
  • Searat
    Searat Posts: 80
    Picked up the book this weekend while I was out wine tasting. Looks real interesting. Thanks for flagging the recipe.
  • Hoov
    Thanks for the info Cen-Tex.
    - Norman, OK
  • DMW
    I just picked up one of these:
    I plan to use it for my turkey, but also to soak my bacon after rinsing before smoking.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

• Nsdexter
    Nsdexter Posts: 195
    The book is easily and readily available to download for free, I heard ...
    HFX NS
  • Hoov
    Just called the local butcher. Picking up a 20 lb fresh ham on Wednesday! I checked Academy for pink salt...but they are out. Going to check again on Wednesday I guess.
    - Norman, OK
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    I found this on Amazon.  Not sure how the price compares.  If you have prime it will get to you in a couple of days.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Hoov
    Thanks @SmokeyPitt I have prime, so I think I will order this. I have some reading to do, as I still have no idea what the pink salt does.
    - Norman, OK
  • DMW
    @Hoov The pink salt keeps the nasties from growing. Also, the pink color is added so you don't confuse it with regular salt.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

• Hoov
    @DMW thanks. I just ordered some with amazon prime. Should be here the same day the ham is ready to be picked up. Now I need to find some enormous ziploc bags.
    - Norman, OK