Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Hanger steak

Made some hanger steak for dinner with the in-laws last night.  Marinated 'em in Dijon mustard, lemon juice and zest, and herbs, and then reverse seared 'em.  Turned out pretty darn well, I think:

Wife made spinach gratin and roasted sweet potatoes and autumn squashes:

Ended up being a nice meal.  Hadn't posted a cook in a while, so I figured I'd share.

[Northern] Virginia is for [meat] lovers.

Comments

• I'll take a little of everything please!
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    That's good stuff. The marinade sounds great.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    This is why I'm hooked on this site. I've never even heard of hanger steak. Now I want to cook one too. :D
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Looks delicious, weekdaythinguy
  • Very nice!
    Cherry Hill, NJ
  • Hoov
    Hoov Posts: 264
    Looking great! Nice cook.
    - Proud owner of a Large BGE
    - Norman, OK
  • @Foghorn:  the marinade is a slight modification of an Anne Burrell recipe:

4T Dijon mustard
    1-2T strong stout (preferably a Russian Imperial or similar, although an Irish Dry could work, too)
    3-4 cloves garlic, smashed and minced
    Leaves of 2-3 sprigs rosemary, chopped
    Juice and zest of a lemon
    Red pepper flakes, to taste

Combine ingredients in a bowl and whisk until smooth.  Trim the hanger, removing excess fat, silverskin, and membrane, and carefully splitting into two long steaks by removing the center sinew.  Coat the steaks and marinate for 24 hours.  Reverse sear.  I pulled these at 115*F and seared for forty seconds a side, with a quarter-turn once a side (so 20, turn, 20, flip, etc.).  Let 'em rest for around 10 minutes before carving into 3/4-1" medallions.

@Jeremiah: it's the most flavorful cut on the cow - it "hangs" from the diaphragm, and usually comes as two steaks joined by a central sinew and covered in hard fat and a thick membrane, so it requires a nice, sharp knife and a little patience.  It's well worth it, though.  I get mine at my local butcher.

• Looks good. Never marinated one myself. Did you cut the centre cartilage out before you grilled?

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• LS:  I trimmed and removed that cartilage before I marinated.  Basically, I started with two hangers and ended up with four cylindrical steaks that went into the marinade.