Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Lighting egg with alcohol

How?

Go ahead guys, rip it up.
Hood Stars, Wrist Crowns and Obsession Dobs!

Comments

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Over here the only thing getting lit with alcohol is the egg operator. I use an electric starter.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • I buy 91% isopropyl alcohol from Walmart.  Cheap.  Biproduct is carbon dioxide and water (no smell).  I just pour a little (<1/4 cup) on the lump, wait about 20 seconds, then light it.  Works great for me.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• berndcrisp
    berndcrisp Posts: 1,166
    thanks VI
    Hood Stars, Wrist Crowns and Obsession Dobs!

• jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167
    It's kinda scary to agree with VI, but that's exactly the way I do it on my mini. :D
    John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • SaltySam
    SaltySam Posts: 887
    I love cheap and effective workarounds. Thanks fellas! This is awesome.

LBGE since June 2012

Omaha, NE

• Acorn
    Acorn Posts: 163
    Never tried this method, interesting. I currently use an electric starter while I consume the alcohol. I believe your breaking the law if you light a grill in Georgia with out a cocktail ?!?!
    Atlanta, GA  - LBGE -
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    I use starter cube. And a few times have used my mapp torch for quick relight.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • My buddy told me that if you ask the pharmacist for 100% alcohol, he/she will give it to you without a prescription.
    Mark Annville, PA
  • Alcohol is hygroscopic by nature and can seldom be found in it's pure 100% state.  That is why grain alcohol (Everclear) is listed as 190 proof, 95% pure.  Just opening the cap on a bottle and pouring some out will allow moisture from the air that replaces the alcohol to be naturally absorbed. 

Is there any issue with bone black or whatever the denaturing material that is used today being a contaminant?

A poor widows son.
    See der Rabbits, Iowa
  • My buddy told me that if you ask the pharmacist for 100% alcohol, he/she will give it to you without a prescription.
    91% is plenty strong.  It acts just like charcoal lighter fluid.  If you don't wait for a few seconds, it will "explode" when lit.  Let it soak in a bit, and it will light up smoothly.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• 55drum
    55drum Posts: 162
    Been using alcohol for the pasr few years...works great....also tried cotton balls with vaseline...that works well too.......burns really hot for quite a while..........
  • Shiff
    Shiff Posts: 1,835
    I start my charcoal using 91% alcohol purchased at Walmart. I use a pencil to poke a tiny hole in the seal and then  squirt a little alcohol in 4 places in a circle about 4 inches in from the outside rim of the charcoal. Then a little squirt in the center.  Wait a few seconds then toss in a match.

Alcohol burns clean and quickly starts the charcoal. It is very safe as long as you stand back a little when dropping in the match.  The warmer the day, the more  it evaporates before lighting and can cause a flash.  In the winter, it doesn't evaporate and I actually have to hold the match at the squirt points.
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • Agree on the alcohol - cheap and works perfectly.  I include a rolled paper towel longways under a little lump to additionally add a wick effect...
    Large BGE and Medium BGE
    36" Blackstone - Greensboro!