Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Help raising grid

Options
I primarily us CI grid and want it to sit around the felt line. I tried balancing 3-4 small coke cans on fire ring, then place the CI grid on them. That was frustrating...they would fall off etc due to the difference in diameter of the 8oz can and the narrow fire ring. I purchased the Woo 2 for my MBGE. It has the handles so it can be lifted off. The CI grid cant sit on it due to the handles. I know I could saw them off, but if I do not want to. I want that option. I read on here make-shift ways to raise grid was to put SS bolts and washers 3-4 spots on grid and then it would sit on fire ring. I did that but they keep getting loose and moving and are fussy to get into position, almost like the coke cans. What other ideas are out there? TIA
LBGE 4/2012, MBGE 6/2012 & Mini 11/2013
Rome, GA

Comments

• Little Steven
    Options
    You don't need stainless bolts. If you can fins a weber grid, use carriage bolts through the raised grid washers and lockwashers between the nuts. Facing or split firebricks will sit on the firering ok too.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• krobertsmsn
    Options
    Thanks, where do I get firebricks?
    Rome, GA
  • Little Steven
    Options
    A fireplace store, brickyard or maybe a big box home improvement store

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• krobertsmsn
    Options
    Dont mean to be ignorant here, all are bricks firebricks? 
    Rome, GA
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Regular bricks from HD/Lowes, wrapped in foil, work fine. Have used them for a few year, even on high temp pizza cooks, and they have not spalled or cracked. I put a Weber grid on the firering, foiled bricks, then cooking grid on top = gasket level/raised cook.  

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Little Steven
    Options
    No firebricks are mostly sand with a binder. They are sand in colour and smooth.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• caliking
    Options
    Regular bricks/pavers are usually reddish in colour (but come in a variety of colours) and firebricks are usually sandy/tan/beige in color. Regular bricks/pavers are much cheaper and easier to finfd. Generally, regular bricks have holes in them, and pavers are solid. I've used both, but think I like the pavers better. 

• krobertsmsn
    Options
    OK, thanks guys, I'll check out HD or Lowe's..
    Rome, GA
  • Kosko
    Kosko Posts: 535
    Options
    Don't waste your time going to HD or Lowes! They don't have or carry firebricks.( been down that road!) your best bet is to go to a fireplace store. Here's my firebrick set up.
    Peachtree City, Ga Large BGE
  • grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    Options
    Had the same issue with woo. Didn't want to cut handles so I cut the cast iron grid instead. Worked great. No regrets
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    I assume you bought your CI grid as an accessory and still have your standard grid as well? If so, just use whichever grid you aren't cooking on on the fire ring, put bricks or whatever spacer you use on that and the other grid on top of the bricks/spacer. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,893
    Options
    Kosko said:
    Don't waste your time going to HD or Lowes! They don't have or carry firebricks.( been down that road!) your best bet is to go to a fireplace store. Here's my firebrick set up.
    But for those of you near a Menard's store they sell them for like $10 for 6 bricks.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • caliking
    Options
    RRP said:
    Kosko said:
    But for those of you near a Menard's store they sell them for like $10 for 6 bricks.
    Regular bricks/pavers are much cheaper, and HD/Lowes have them. Pavers were $0.55 each but that was a few years ago.

• krobertsmsn
    Options
    Is the only diff between reg bricks/pavers and firebricks that the components of which they are made may affect their heat tolerance? Is there a food safety issue-chemicals etc.? Not sure I can locate firebicks easily around here but will check it out. I'm in Rome, GA...small town USA.
    Rome, GA
  • krobertsmsn
    Options
    Rome, GA
  • RRP
    Options
    Is the only diff between reg bricks/pavers and firebricks that the components of which they are made may affect their heat tolerance? Is there a food safety issue-chemicals etc.? Not sure I can locate firebicks easily around here but will check it out. I'm in Rome, GA...small town USA.
    Typically the size is the major noticeable difference. My fire bricks are 9 x 4.5 x 1.25"
  • grege345
    Options
    I don't know why you'd wanna use bricks if you invested in woo. I used bricks before woo but not after

• krobertsmsn
    Options
    Hubby wants to know what saw was used to alter the CI grid? He has a dremel and hand grinder...would one of those do it?
    Rome, GA
  • grege345
    Options
    Hand grinder. He can have it cut off in the time it takes to drive and buy bricks. That was a pic I took to make sure if it fit. I cleaned up the edges afterwards. Still fits snug too which is nice. Also I still have handle and still get to use plate setter. All raised all the time. Direct. Or indirect.

• caliking
    Options
    @krobertsmsn - no known food safety issue. Firebricks are used for high temperature applications (fireplaces, kilns, pizza ovens, etc) and different kinds are rated for different temps. They can tolerate thousands of degrees F. The 1.25" ones are splits. They come in a 2.5" thickness also. Regular bricks or pavers are built to withstand compressive forces (walls, driveways, etc)

If yo have your heart set on the firebricks, then go to a brickyard. Fireplace stores will rip you off (6-fold difference in price the last time I checked). But I needed 300 the last time, not just 3, so you may not care about the price difference.  You can also order from doitbest.com (search for firebrick) and it will be delivered free to a participating store.

• RRP
    Options
    Hubby wants to know what saw was used to alter the CI grid? He has a dremel and hand grinder...would one of those do it?
    dremel will take forever and break umpteen discs. I have cut 3 of these now just using a bi-metal blade in my Saws All and then smoothing the sharp edges with my bench grinder.