Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Meat temp falling?

Options
I had something weird the past couple of cooks that I hadn't seen before.  Last week with a small butt, yesterday with some baby back ribs.  Dome temp holding steady about 230, grill temp steady and meat rising slowly as expected.  Then, about half way through the cook, the meat temperature starting going down.  I figured I was losing my fire but dome and grill stayed steady.  On the ribs, this happened at about 155, dropping back to 145 for a couple of hours. Same kind of thing with the butt but I can't remember exact temp.  It wasn't a stall like I'm used to seeing where it just sticks and doesn't move for a few hours.  Probes were all calibrated and OK.  Just seems odd I'd have never seen this before and then get it on the last two cooks.  Everything turned out good but it really threw me off.  Anyone else see this before?

Comments

• 30yearegger
    Options
    Maybe you have a temp related problem with one of your probes or the probe is changing position during your cook when the dome is opened or as the meat shrinks. Strange problem.
    Easley SC Go! Tigers
  • egret
    egret Posts: 4,170
    Options
    That's pretty typical when the meat is going through the "plateau".......especially with the butts. You're not doing anything wrong........
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    The Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 22,961
    edited November 2013
    Options
    i don't ever really trust a temp reading of ribs. The bones give off all kinds of false readings. Like Egret said- Totally normal for briskets and butts to drop a little as they lose liquid (plateau/stall)
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • bettysnephew
    Options
    I have seen this same thing happen on butts, I don't use a probe on ribs, just Thermapen to check.  I believe it is a possibility during the stall and have seen other threads in the past stating this same occurrence.  You might do a search on stall and see if there is more info.  I'm sure it will be a large return but the answer is out there.
    A poor widows son.
    See der Rabbits, Iowa
  • JohnMc
    JohnMc Posts: 76
    Options
    Thanks folks, appreciate the info.