Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Vinegar style BBQ Sauce

Options

Any suggestions or recepies for a good vinegar based BBQ sauce?  Looking for the really thin/watery style - not the thicker ketchup style (a la Sweet Baby Rays).

Thanks.

Comments

• gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    Here's one I copied some years ago from an oral history I found on a Southern Foodways web page. I adapted it for a small batch, the original was for enough to use at a county fair.

GRANDPAPPY'S TENNESSEE STYLE

(tiny batch)
        1 C cider vinegar
        1 C ketchup
        dash Louisiana hot sauce
        tsp white sugar
        pinch    pulverized red pepper, no seeds
        1/2 oz margarine

Simmer till thickened but not stiff. Should be somewhat thin.

optional substitutions: brown sugar, black pepper

Despite using ketchup, it is not thick.

The above recipe varies from an old No. Carolina sauce i found by not having any salt, and adding margarine. I have since come across a very old recipe from the Carolinas that mentions using butter. I've tried that, and its nice.

From widely available commercial sauces, when I want something thinner and more on the vinegar side, I use Stubb;s original.
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    Do you want a true vinegar(mop) sauce ala eastern NC? It should not contain ketchup. They are incredibly simple with only 4 or 5 ingredients.

2 cups vinegar(white or 50/50 white/cider)
    1tbsp sugar
    1 tbsp crushed red pepper
    1 tsp salt
    black pepper, cayenne, Hot sauce to taste.

• Biggreenpharmacist
    Options

Do you want a true vinegar(mop) sauce ala eastern NC? It should not contain ketchup. They are incredibly simple with only 4 or 5 ingredients.

1tbsp sugar
    1 tsp salt

Thats pretty much what I use but I hit it with a couple squirts of ketchup and couple shakes of worcestershire.

Little Rock, AR

• billyray
    billyray Posts: 1,275
    Options
    Felton, Ca. 2-LBGE, 1-Small, PBC, PK360, Genesis Summit, Camp Chef Flattop, Smokefire 24, Traeger Pro Series 22 Pellet with a Smoke Daddy insert, Gateway 55 Gal. drum, SNS Kettle w/acc.
  • Raymont
    Raymont Posts: 710
    Options
    I made a batch this last weekend, very similar to above. It was a big hit on pulled pork.

Small & Large BGE

Nashville, TN

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,747
    Options
    i use elderwards recipe but i bring it up to 180 degrees for a couple minutes and then shut down to cool

• 1 C white vinegar
    • 1 C cider vinegar
    • 1 Tbs. sugar (Hawaii style when you can)
    • 1 Tbs. cayenne pepper (fresh ones split 2 of em instead soak 2 days or more is best)
    • 1 Tbs. Tabasco sauce
    • 1 tsp. kosher salt
    • 1 tsp. cracked black pepper

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Eggpharmer
    Options
    +1 for the recipe from Meatwave.
    Austin, TX
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    I do not really measure anything.  I just eyeball.  I am Lexington, NC raised and love our style sauce.  

Here is what I do: 

Apple cider vinegar - around 1 cup
    Good quality ketchup - around 1 cup
    Black pepper - to taste
    Salt - to taste
    Brown sugar - to taste (this is something I add that I happen to like)
    Garlic powder - to taste
    Red Pepper flake - To taste
    Worcheshire sauce - Couple tablespoons
    Sometimes a little yellow mustard
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Wicker's...
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • milesofsmiles
    Options
    I like Scotts, out of North Carolina. Also I sometimes add 2-3 Tabsp. cayenne powder for hot wing sauce.
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options

1tbsp sugar
    1 tsp salt

Quite right. My bad, I went back and looked at the NC sauce recipe, I saw there was no ketchup.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    The very best I have had. Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• ChuckChampion
    Options
    +1 on the Franklin sweet Vinegar.  Stuff is unreal
  • Cookinbob
    Cookinbob Posts: 1,691
    Options
    Here is a recipe I found here on the forum.  I add it to the pork after it is pulled - it is awesome, I now use it every time I do PP.

2 Cups apple cider vinegar

2 TBS Molasses

1 TBS Dry Mustard

1/2 C Butter

1/2 tsp Cayenne Pepper

1 TBS Worcestershire Sauce

1/2 C Brown Sugar

1/2 tsp Black Pepper

Stir all ingredients into a saucepan over medium heat.   Cook,stirring until  sugar is dissolved.

Don't boil.

XLBGE, Small BGE, Homebrew and Guitars
    Rochester, NY
  • MaskedMarvel
    MaskedMarvel Posts: 3,142
    edited November 2013
    Options
    I juuuust made a batch of my favorite - a recipe given to me a while back by someone on this forum. I'll see if I can track that citation down.

One cup apple cider vinegar
    Quarter cup brown sugar
    Tablespoon red pepper flakes

That's it! Couldn't be easier or more delicious. Shake and taste. Adjust as you see fit. Much better when made the day before. I also make versions with more and less red pepper for groups if varying preferences.

EDIT - it was @paulheels
    paulheels said:

On the road. I make and taste as I go. Here is the jist.
    Apple cider vinegar, brown sugar, red pepper flakes. Start with 1cp vinegar, 1/4 cp sugar, tablespoon pepper. Shake well

Hope this helps some.

Paul

Large BGE and Medium BGE
    36" Blackstone - Greensboro!

• SmokinTiger81
    Options
    i use elderwards recipe but i bring it up to 180 degrees for a couple minutes and then shut down to cool

• 1 C white vinegar
    • 1 C cider vinegar
    • 1 Tbs. cayenne pepper (fresh ones split 2 of em instead soak 2 days or more is best)
    • 1 Tbs. Tabasco sauce
    • 1 tsp. kosher salt

+1 on Elder Ward recipe for vinegar based sauce.  Some of others look interesting though, so may have to try those too.
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    I always do thin sauce but I put a drip pan with water in it under the shoulder while it cooks then freeze the drippings so I can get the fat off. Then I add cider vinegar, apple cider, usually a little siracha, and then some blues hog original or any sweet sauce just for a little more sweetness and then reduce it down a little. Mixing the drippings in adds a good smoky flavor and also you don't want to get all the fat out leave some in. I don't reduce it much I leave it really thin but everyone always loves it.
  • MagnoliaBBQ
    Options

1tbsp sugar
    1 tsp salt

That is basically what I use for a finishing sauce and for a final BBQ sauce for pulled pork.  When I pull the pork, I spritz the shreddings with the sauce, along with some Dizzy Dust.   It removes the gamey flavor without imparting a vinegar taste---if you do not apply it too heavily.  Personally, I love the vinegar taste--so that is why I have it as BBQ sauce so I can add more to taste.
  • jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167
    Options

Cookinbob said:
    Here is a recipe I found here on the forum.  I add it to the pork after it is pulled - it is awesome, I now use it every time I do PP.

2 Cups apple cider vinegar

2 TBS Molasses

1 TBS Dry Mustard

1/2 C Butter

1/2 tsp Cayenne Pepper

1 TBS Worcestershire Sauce

1/2 C Brown Sugar

1/2 tsp Black Pepper

Stir all ingredients into a saucepan over medium heat.   Cook,stirring until  sugar is dissolved.

Don't boil.

This is the one I have used for a couple of years.  I love it and it always gets great compliments.
    John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • NibbleMeThis
    Options
    I like both major NC styles, real vinegar sauces and the Piedmont styles that have a little ketchup in them.  Here's the one that I got from my grandmother and was the BBQ that made me fall in love with barbecue pork.

Lisbon Fire Department BBQ Sauce for Pulled Pork
    (This recipe is very personal to me as it was the first real NC BBQ I ever had as a kid and my grandmother gave this recipe to me on a 3 x 5 card shortly before she passed away.)

Ingredients

1 gallon vinegar
    4 ounces lemon juice
    1 ounce red pepper
    2 sticks margarine
    1 gallon catsup
    4 ounces Hot sauce
    1 ounce black pepper
    Salt to taste
    1 cup honey

Instructions
    Combine and heat over medium heat until flavors blend.
    Could be easily reduced to 1/4 recipe which would still make 1/2 gallon; however, should keep for ages in the refrigerator. The Fire Department used either a whole pig or whole fresh hams.

Knoxville, TN
    Nibble Me This
  • smokeyj
    smokeyj Posts: 340
    Options

I can't remember where I got this recipe but it is really good. It was an old VA recipes.

I copied the recipe and forget to get the name and site where I got it.

1 1/2 cup Apple Cider Vinegar
    1/4 cup water
    1/4 cup of your favorite hot sauce
    1 Tablespoon (TBS) Paprika
    1 TBS Black Pepper
    1 TBS Kitchen Salt
    2 TBS Yellow Mustard (French)
    Mix well, let sit for at least 24 to 48 hours before serving for best results.

• TonyA
    TonyA Posts: 583
    Options
    I've done the following a couple times if you just want something quick and easy

1 cup Bone sucking Sauce
    1/2 cup white vinegar
    1/2 cup ACV
    Sriracha and Black Pepper to taste - I think i use about a tablespoon and a teaspoon respectively
  • Helmet
    Helmet Posts: 163
    edited November 2013
    Options
    Cornell Sauce, my alltime favorite for chicken. 
    1 cup cooking oil 
    1 pint cider vinegar 
    3 tablespoons salt 
    1 tablespoon poultry seasoning 
    1/2 teaspoon pepper 
    1 egg 

Beat the egg, then add the oil and beat again. Add other ingredients and stir. The recipe can be varied to suit individual tastes. 
    Source:
    http://www.cornell.edu/search/index.cfm?id=132&tab=facts
    Medium BGE, Weber Q120 (The traveller)
    "I claim artistic license, it has a good beat, I can dance to it"
  • Sir SmokeAlot
    Options
    I'm from eastern North Carolina and I was told that legitimate eastern nc vinegar based has no sugar, ketchup. We leave that to folks in Lexington, NC. I'd recommend for something authentic you go with Scott's BBQ sauce. A Goldsboro, N C company. It's found at Food Lion in the Carolinas.. Also, Fresh Market and Harris Teeter carries a good one called Guy Parker's BBQ sauce. Both are legit. I got a shoulder on now, and plan on slapping on some Scott's and slaw, after I pull it
  • Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    Options
    There is a very popular one on another forum called shack attack- copied and pasted below: Shack Attack BBQ Sauce Here is a delicious version of an old VA BBQ sauce inspired by a VA BBQ man named Shack. I drink this stuff straight, that's how good it is. It has no sugar in it, so sweet sauce fans may want to stay away. INGREDIENTS 1 1/2 cup Apple Cider Vinegar 1/4 cup water 1/4 cup of your favorite hot sauce 1 Tablespoon (TBS) Paprika 1 TBS Black Pepper 1 TBS Kitchen Salt 2 TBS Yellow Mustard (French) INSTRUCTIONS 1. Mix well, let sit for at least 24 to 48 hours before serving for best results. I blend it in my Ninja, that's why it's about 16 ounces
    Greensboro, NC
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options

• 1 C white vinegar
    • 1 C cider vinegar
    • 1 Tbs. Tabasco sauce
    • 1 tsp. kosher salt

I guess I use Elder's too but didn't even know it! I'm sure I saw in on The Whiz years back and just adopted it as my own...........pretty much like everything else I do :))

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX