Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Beer Can Turkey questions

Options
500 Posts: 3,177
Searching netted some old threads about beer can turkey, so I thought I would start a new one, and ask the common questions;

1) Position on the can; ass up or down?
2) Temp?
3) Indirect, with plate setter, I am assuming.
4) Best way to catch the drippings for gravy, while not letting them burn up in the drip pan.  Maybe I suck them out as I go, reserving them?
5) I plan on using Alton Brown's brine, since it works for a roasted bird.
6) What size bird fits in a large?  Looking to feed 8.
7) About how long to get 160* breast, 180* thigh?

Can you tell I've never cooked one the Egg?  I know, why not; you've had plenty of opportunity?  Well, I'm going for it now.  Any help appreciated.
I like my butt rubbed and my pork pulled.
Member since 2009

Comments

• chashans
    chashans Posts: 418
    Options
    20 lb. turkey for the LBGE.  http://www.biggreenegg.com/eggs/sizes/
    LARGE, MINI BGE    SAN DIEGO, CA            An alcoholic with a barbecuing problem.

• chashans
    chashans Posts: 418
    Options
    Opps...20 lb. for normal placement. My bad.
    LARGE, MINI BGE    SAN DIEGO, CA            An alcoholic with a barbecuing problem.

• RLeeper
    RLeeper Posts: 480
    Options
    Last year I was able to fit a fourteen pounder inside of a roasting pan in my large. I had a little bit of liquid in the pan to keep the drippings from burning. I roasted at 350 for around five hours and the bird was done.
    Extra Large, Large, and Mini. Tucker, GA
  • A2Z
    A2Z Posts: 99
    Options
    Did a 15 pound turkey yesterday at 325 with just salt and pepper.  Was spectacular, nicely browned skin, extremely juicy.  Cooked indirect on a raised grid for about 3 hours.  Iced the breasts for 20 minutes prior to putting on, great tip.  Suprised me how quickly it came to temperature, so it was 165 in the breast and 185 in the thigh when pulled, but best turkey we have had.

For someone wanting a simple turkey with no brining or complicated process it can be done on the egg.  Sometimes simple is the best,

Sorry no pictures, but it did happen