Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First attempt at a full packer

2»

Comments

• I think you're going to be hooked on doing a lot of briskets and your future
  • SaltySam said:
    Finally... We're home. Excellent smoke ring and tender and juicy.
    That looks great...what did your rub consist of?
    Making the neighbors jealous in Pleasant Hill, Ia one cook at a time...
  • SaltySam
    SaltySam Posts: 887
    Equal parts brown sugar, paprika, salt, pepper, ancho chili powder and half part fresh ground coffee. It was pretty close to Mickey's rub, with a bit more pepper flavor. I really liked it.

LBGE since June 2012

Omaha, NE

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,170
    @SaltySam-Great result.  Glad you stayed the course as you definitely hit a home-run.  With that as a base-line the left-overs will be eggcellent!
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • How spicy was the rub? I love the heat but SWMBO dosent...she likes it more sweet so I backed off on some of the chili powder and pepper and replaced it with more brown and some white sugar...but yours looks a lot better then mine did.
    Making the neighbors jealous in Pleasant Hill, Ia one cook at a time...
  • SaltySam
    SaltySam Posts: 887
    Ancho chili powder doesn't have as much "punch" as regular chili powder. The two are definitely different flavors. I thought it was spicy, but more from the black pepper than anything else.

The rub I made used 1/3 cup of everything but the coffee, so with six ingredients, it was a bit shy of 2 cups. I applied it pretty liberally, and used probably 1.5 cups to cover the brisket and the burnt ends. I think that's why I had such a nice bark. I might dial back the pepper a bit and go heavier on brown sugar next time.

LBGE since June 2012

Omaha, NE