Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We hope everyone’s enjoying the first few days of summer. For us, the weather heating up means one thing - the EGG’s gonna be busy! Whether you’re making stuffed burgers for a backyard grill out, some brats before a baseball game or searing a steak for dinner on the patio, we hope you’re doing it with full flavor and having fun all the while!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

First attempt at a full packer

2»

Comments

• I think you're going to be hooked on doing a lot of briskets and your future
    ·
  • SaltySam said:
    Finally... We're home. Excellent smoke ring and tender and juicy.
    That looks great...what did your rub consist of?
    Making the neighbors jealous in Pleasant Hill, Ia one cook at a time...
    ·
  • SaltySamSaltySam Posts: 410
    Equal parts brown sugar, paprika, salt, pepper, ancho chili powder and half part fresh ground coffee. It was pretty close to Mickey's rub, with a bit more pepper flavor. I really liked it.

LBGE since June 2012

Omaha, NE

·
  • lousubcaplousubcap Posts: 6,411
    @SaltySam-Great result.  Glad you stayed the course as you definitely hit a home-run.  With that as a base-line the left-overs will be eggcellent!
    Louisville
    ·
  • How spicy was the rub? I love the heat but SWMBO dosent...she likes it more sweet so I backed off on some of the chili powder and pepper and replaced it with more brown and some white sugar...but yours looks a lot better then mine did.
    Making the neighbors jealous in Pleasant Hill, Ia one cook at a time...
    ·
  • SaltySamSaltySam Posts: 410
    Ancho chili powder doesn't have as much "punch" as regular chili powder. The two are definitely different flavors. I thought it was spicy, but more from the black pepper than anything else.

The rub I made used 1/3 cup of everything but the coffee, so with six ingredients, it was a bit shy of 2 cups. I applied it pretty liberally, and used probably 1.5 cups to cover the brisket and the burnt ends. I think that's why I had such a nice bark. I might dial back the pepper a bit and go heavier on brown sugar next time.

LBGE since June 2012

Omaha, NE

·