Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Packer Brisket question

cortguitarman
cortguitarman Posts: 2,061
edited November 2013 in EggHead Forum
I'm throwing my first packer on tonight. I picked it up at Walmart today. The sell by date is tomorrow. They were $1.67/lb! I'm going to trim the fat cap and rub with mustard and Black Barts Brisket rub. Do you guys put liquid in your drip pans for briskest? I never do for butts, but I don't know for briskets.

Mark Annville, PA

Comments

• Mustard or no mustard? Anybody out there?
    Mark Annville, PA
  • New2Q
    New2Q Posts: 171
    Nice price for a choice brisket.  I never use mustard.  I just use a 1/2 kosher salt, 1/2 course ground pepper rub.  I also put water in the drip pan.
  • Thanks New2Q.
    Mark Annville, PA
  • Romain
    Romain Posts: 52
    I rub with a light coat of EVOO and then a 50/50 mix of kosher salt and coarse ground black pepper. Or sometimes Dizzy Dust or Swamp Venom.
    Romain Nowakowski Ashburn, VA
  • Philly35
    Philly35 Posts: 858
    I like water in the drip pan. Make sure to make some foil balls to put under it to keep it from sitting directly on the plate setter. I use mustard but it's not necessary. Good luck! Let us know how it turns out!
    NW IOWA
  • do it like you would do a butt. does not matter if you do liquid in the pan or not. Mustard, or no mustard. fat up/fat down. really does not matter. get that bad boy on with a good rub, some smoke and anywhere from 225-275.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Thanks, @Cen-TexSmoker. She went on at 12:30 last night. Chugging along at 250. I ended up going with water in the drip pan, no mustard. Rubbed with a combo of Black Bart's Brisket Rub and John Henry Brisket rub. I had partial containers of both to use up.

Temp is already at 160 after 5.5 hours. Should be approaching the stall soon so I've got time. I'm expecting if to be done around 3.
    Mark Annville, PA
  • I think you're going to be done well before 3. What time are you planning to eat?
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
  • This brisket was all over the place. The flat was 190 after 10 hours. I pulled it at 195, cut off the point and the point went back on. I was shooting for 210 for the point. I pulled it at 205 after 17 total hours.

Everything turned out great! I was surprised that the point took so much longer
    Mark Annville, PA
  • Philly35 said:
    I like water in the drip pan. Make sure to make some foil balls to put under it to keep it from sitting directly on the plate setter. I use mustard but it's not necessary. Good luck! Let us know how it turns out!
    Foil balls?  Ive been putting drip pans right on the PS...what risk does the foil ball prevent?
    Making the neighbors jealous in Pleasant Hill, Ia one cook at a time...
  • Putting a little space between the drip pan and the plate setter/indirect piece helps to keep the drippings from burning which can put off a bad smell into the smoke. 
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • Putting a little space between the drip pan and the plate setter/indirect piece helps to keep the drippings from burning which can put off a bad smell into the smoke. 
    Good to know, Thanks
    Making the neighbors jealous in Pleasant Hill, Ia one cook at a time...