Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It doesn’t get much hotter than the EGG cookin’ in July! Make sure to keep yourself hydrated with a bit of whatever you’re using for the Beer Can Chicken. Ice Cream Sandwiches are also a great way to stay cool. Looking for some great ideas for a summer cook out? Try out a Pimento Cheeseburger or Dr. BBQ’s Spare Rib Surprise. Just don’t be surprised if your neighbors stop by for a quick bite when they smell what you’re cooking!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Thick Pork Chops for Supper Tonight!

KeeferKeefer Posts: 120
We have Thick Pork Chops to cook for supper tonight. What are some of your favorite way of cooking them? I have used the egg all year but this will be the first time for chops. There are eight on them - at least an inch thick - and they look really good.

Thanks!
·

Comments

• awmawm Posts: 177
    I done some last night I just seasoned them for about 45 min then cooked direct around 400. I was shooting for internal temp of 140 but checked them just a little late. Even though they were over 140 they were still juicy and tasted great.
    ·
  • I like to finish them off with a pepper jelly glaze.  About a minute or two before pulling, spread some pepper jelly on top to give it enough time to melt.  It gives a sweet, spicy tinge to the chop.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

·
  • billyraybillyray Posts: 1,122
    Here's another product we like on pork. It's a pepper-cot sauce.
    Felton, Ca. 2-LBGE, 1-Small and waiting on a mini
    ·
  • KeeferKeefer Posts: 120
    Thanks guys. I'm sure the pepper topping would be great but the in-laws are coming and that might be a little much for them. I am brining them now. i am thinking about maybe a sprinkle of BGE Savory Pecan (which everybody here seems to like) and cook them at around 350 indirect to about 135 or so and sear them to finish. Maybe a pat of butter at that point. I will try to post some pictures.

Thanks all!
    ·
  • BuckeyeBobBuckeyeBob Posts: 650
    edited November 2013
    Last time I did chops, they were the best I have ever done. I did this brine

2 cups apple cider
    1 cup water
    1/4 cup kosher salt
    1/4 cup honey
    1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
    2 cups ice

Brines for about 4 hours. Took out of brine and used Dizzy swamp venom rub. I heated the large to about 450, seared both sides of the thick chops and then raised the grid to finish. They were awesome.
    Clarendon Hills, IL
    ·
    Wow. That brine recipe really does sound good. Too late this time but I will definitely try it next time.

Here they are brined and a little rub sprinkled on them.

image.jpg 2.6M
    ·
  • MickeyMickey Posts: 16,467
    edited November 2013
    Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos Best thick pork chops (rib chops) Simple brine, 1/2 c kosher salt, 1/4 cup brown sugar, 2-3 cups water...brine the chops a few hours (zip lock gallon bag is perfect). Pat dry, coffee rub and cook 'em hot and fast. preferred internal here would be to pull at 130-135* tops...carryover during the rest will bring them to 140-145* +/-. Keep it simple! Just don't cook 'em to death!!
    Salado TX Egg Family: 2 Large and a very well used Mini, just added a Mini Max (I'm good for now). 

·
    Looks good Mickey! Here's mine 30 minutes in: image And after the rest: image And plated with Smashed taters, creamed corn, cooked apples and broccoli pinwheels. (All veggies from our garden!) image
    image.jpg 1000.4K
    image.jpg 850.1K
    ·
  • jls9595jls9595 Posts: 1,344
    I want that.image
    In Manchester, TN
    Vol For Life!
    ·
  • WolfpackWolfpack Posts: 1,437
    Tell me about the broccoli pinwheels- looks like that may have a chance at getting veggies down my kids throats... Nice cook- looks great
    Greensboro, NC
    ·
  • Probably too late but you can get great results hot tubbing thick chops

Steve 

Caledon, ON

·
    edited November 2013
    Broccoli Pinwheels image Very easy and wonderful! 1 Box of Frozen Broccoli Spears chopped (with large stalks removed), 1/2 cup of shredded cheddar cheese, 2 TBSP of finely chopped onion, 1 egg beaten, Mix all ingredients and spread over canned crescent roll dough. Roll up jelly roll style and slice into 3/4" to 1" slices. Place on a greased pan and bake at 375 until golden brown - usually 20 minutes or so.
    image.jpg 1014.9K
    ·
  • calikingcaliking Posts: 7,060
    Nice! The chops look beautiful. And those pinwheels look like they need to be added to my list of sides. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
    ·
  • BotchBotch Posts: 3,269
    I must live in all the wrong places.  I don't think I've ever seen 1" pork chops.  Ever!  They're all thin.

Since getting my Egg I always brine them, which helps a lot, and I often baste them with balsamic vinegar (the cheep, fake stuff) and flip the chop every minute until done, very good!  

Live fast, die young, and leave a well-marbled corpse.  

Ogden, Utard.  
    ·
    edited November 2013
    We got those chops at Fresh Market. By watching the paper and internet for coupons and specials - we usually manage to get them without blowing the budget completely. Most grocery store meat departments will cut them thicker for you if you ask.
    ·