Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Thick Pork Chops for Supper Tonight!

Keefer
Keefer Posts: 120
We have Thick Pork Chops to cook for supper tonight. What are some of your favorite way of cooking them? I have used the egg all year but this will be the first time for chops. There are eight on them - at least an inch thick - and they look really good.

Thanks!

Comments

• awm
    awm Posts: 181
    I done some last night I just seasoned them for about 45 min then cooked direct around 400. I was shooting for internal temp of 140 but checked them just a little late. Even though they were over 140 they were still juicy and tasted great.
  • I like to finish them off with a pepper jelly glaze.  About a minute or two before pulling, spread some pepper jelly on top to give it enough time to melt.  It gives a sweet, spicy tinge to the chop.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• billyray
    billyray Posts: 1,275
    Here's another product we like on pork. It's a pepper-cot sauce.
    Felton, Ca. 2-LBGE, 1-Small, PBC, PK360, Genesis Summit, Camp Chef Flattop, Smokefire 24, Traeger Pro Series 22 Pellet with a Smoke Daddy insert, Gateway 55 Gal. drum, SNS Kettle w/acc.
  • Keefer
    Thanks guys. I'm sure the pepper topping would be great but the in-laws are coming and that might be a little much for them. I am brining them now. i am thinking about maybe a sprinkle of BGE Savory Pecan (which everybody here seems to like) and cook them at around 350 indirect to about 135 or so and sear them to finish. Maybe a pat of butter at that point. I will try to post some pictures.

Thanks all!
  • BuckeyeBob
    BuckeyeBob Posts: 673
    edited November 2013
    Last time I did chops, they were the best I have ever done. I did this brine

2 cups apple cider
    1 cup water
    1/4 cup kosher salt
    1/4 cup honey
    1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
    2 cups ice

Brines for about 4 hours. Took out of brine and used Dizzy swamp venom rub. I heated the large to about 450, seared both sides of the thick chops and then raised the grid to finish. They were awesome.
    Clarendon Hills, IL
  • Keefer
    Wow. That brine recipe really does sound good. Too late this time but I will definitely try it next time.

Here they are brined and a little rub sprinkled on them.

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    edited November 2013
    Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos Best thick pork chops (rib chops) Simple brine, 1/2 c kosher salt, 1/4 cup brown sugar, 2-3 cups water...brine the chops a few hours (zip lock gallon bag is perfect). Pat dry, coffee rub and cook 'em hot and fast. preferred internal here would be to pull at 130-135* tops...carryover during the rest will bring them to 140-145* +/-. Keep it simple! Just don't cook 'em to death!!
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Keefer
    Looks good Mickey! Here's mine 30 minutes in: image And after the rest: image And plated with Smashed taters, creamed corn, cooked apples and broccoli pinwheels. (All veggies from our garden!) image
  • jls9595
    jls9595 Posts: 1,533
    I want that.image
    In Manchester, TN
    Vol For Life!
  • Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    Tell me about the broccoli pinwheels- looks like that may have a chance at getting veggies down my kids throats... Nice cook- looks great
    Greensboro, NC
  • Probably too late but you can get great results hot tubbing thick chops

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Keefer
    edited November 2013
    Broccoli Pinwheels image Very easy and wonderful! 1 Box of Frozen Broccoli Spears chopped (with large stalks removed), 1/2 cup of shredded cheddar cheese, 2 TBSP of finely chopped onion, 1 egg beaten, Mix all ingredients and spread over canned crescent roll dough. Roll up jelly roll style and slice into 3/4" to 1" slices. Place on a greased pan and bake at 375 until golden brown - usually 20 minutes or so.
    image.jpg 1014.9K
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    Nice! The chops look beautiful. And those pinwheels look like they need to be added to my list of sides. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,432
    I must live in all the wrong places.  I don't think I've ever seen 1" pork chops.  Ever!  They're all thin.

Since getting my Egg I always brine them, which helps a lot, and I often baste them with balsamic vinegar (the cheep, fake stuff) and flip the chop every minute until done, very good!  

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• Keefer
    edited November 2013
    We got those chops at Fresh Market. By watching the paper and internet for coupons and specials - we usually manage to get them without blowing the budget completely. Most grocery store meat departments will cut them thicker for you if you ask.