Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Are you happy it’s finally National BBQ Month? While we like to BBQ year round, May is our favorite because the whole country is celebrating delicious food. If you’re new to cooking BBQ on your EGG, check out our Smoking Basics Publication...if not, proceed to some of our favorite recipes! We love Dr. BBQ’s Coffee Rubbed Brisket, Famous Dave’s Sticky Ribs and Virginia Willis’ Pulled Pork. Pair with this cheesy favorite for a winning way to start off May!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Rib Question

Wondering, what's better....baby back or St. Louis style? What's the real difference?
Going to do a rib cock tomorrow and I always do baby back. Thinking St. Louis might be worth trying
Rochester Hills, MI
·

Comments

• jlsmjlsm Posts: 843
    I like the BBs because they have less fat. 
    Owner of a large and a beloved mini in Philadelphia
    ·
  • Love St Louis.
    ·
  • henapplehenapple Posts: 14,065
    I like the taste better. When cut uniformly they cook even. I usually buy spares and trim myself. Try one of each.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
    ·
  • lousubcaplousubcap Posts: 6,120
    This like the "Ford vs Chevy" conversation.  I would suggest you give both a go and decide for yourself.  Lots of info out there in the "ether" that can help guide you.  Just an opinion and we all know what those are worth...
    Louisville
    ·
  • 4Runner4Runner Posts: 1,625
    More meat on St Louis.
    Joe - I'm a reformed gasser-holic aka 4Runner Columbia, SC Wonderful BGE Resource Site: http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramicfaq.htm and http://www.nibblemethis.com/
    What am I drinking now?   Woodford....neat
    ·
  • RLP443RLP443 Posts: 24
    I guess it will be a few racks of each. Thanks all.
    Rochester Hills, MI
    ·
  • pasoeggpasoegg Posts: 241
    edited November 2013
    I like the St. Louis using the turbo method......plenty of info on site for turbo method....beware - they are addicting!!

"it is never too early to drink, but it may be too early to be seen drinking"

Winston-Salem, NC

·
  • GrillmagicGrillmagic Posts: 887
    edited November 2013

I have done Spares, St Louis and BB the last three weeks using the 3/2/1 method and my family voted big time for the Baby Backs. Me I thought they were all good but my wife thought the Spares and St Louis ribs were to fatty and since I like them all it looks like it's Baby Backs from now on.

·
  • KennyLeeKennyLee Posts: 666
    Baby backs for me because as others have mentioned, way less fat.  I also think the BBs cook more evenly and are just as tender.

LBGE

Cedar table w/granite top

Ceramic Grillworks two-tier swing rack

Perpetual cooler of ice-cold beer

·
  • TerrebanditTerrebandit Posts: 1,297
    I had a bad cook with baby backs several years ago. Not as moist as St. Louis style, so I've focused on the SL's. HOWEVER, today I ran into some baby backs for 1.97/lb, so I bought them and am giving them a try tomorrow.
    Dave - Austin, TX
    ·