Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

medium egg grate

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have had a medium BGE since October of last year, I have had 4 or 5 grates crack and break, I have been cautioned not to use a metal grate since it may expand and crack the fire box, I also have a mini BGE and do not have this trouble, any ideas ou there

Comments

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    mensa,
    The cast iron trivet rests nicely in the bottom of my large egg. It does not fit snugly into the hole....just kind of rests on top of it. Lots of room for expansion. The other types of grates (expanded metal, and others) are equally safe. [p]I would be cautious of a rigid metal grate that fits snugly into the "neck" on the bottom of the firebox.[p]HTH
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • RhumAndJerk
    RhumAndJerk Posts: 1,506
    Options
    mensa,
    Out of curiosity, do you stir the hot coals with the ash tool?
    Do you tap the grate to clear the air holes?
    Does there seem to be a magic temperature at which the grates break?
    Please, do not take the questions the wrong way; I am just trying to figure out how 5 different grates would break since October. [p]I suppose that it is possible that there was a bad batch of grates and you just hit the jackpot. [p]Just thinking,
    RhumAndJerk[p]

• BluesnBBQ
    BluesnBBQ Posts: 615
    Options
    mensa,[p]I hope you don't have to pay $50 for a replacement, which I might have to do.[p]-Steve (still haven't received my replacement firebox, and I might have to pay for shipping twice for it)
  • Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Options
    mensa, Tim M has posted the experimental donut that is made so a metal diamond mesh will expand and contract with no external pressure on the outer ceramics. Thats one idea. The other is there appears to be no problem with diamond mesh cut in the round and layed in the firechamber other than a bit of wobble around. That too is cureable with other ideas.
    There is another option, not ready to be posted yet, but coming up..
    Cheers...C~W
    BTW...I have two ceramic grates one used the other new that I have available. I have never had a problem with breakage of a ceramic grate. Knock on ceramics??
    C~W[p]

• Char-Woody
    Options
    BluesnBBQ, Call BGE and talk to Chazz DeMeyer. Anything longer than 10 days is unreasonable.
    1-800-939-EGGS
    BGE prides itself on customer service.
    C~W[p]

• BluesnBBQ
    BluesnBBQ Posts: 615
    Options
    Char-Woody,[p]I called them last week, and talked to three different people. One of them told me he would deal with it personally. He was supposed to call yesterday to tell me what's going on, but I haven't heard from him (or UPS).
  • Char-Woody
    Options
    BluesnBBQ, e.mail me with details..I will help ya.
    C~W[p]

• RhumAndJerk
    RhumAndJerk Posts: 1,506
    Options
    BluesnBBQ,
    A few weeks ago, I was having problems with the slide door on small BGE. When I called BGE, I got Ed Fisher. He sent me a replacement door without any questions. They handled the issue quickly and I have no complaints. [p]Just sharing,
    RhumAndJerk[p]

• Gfw
    Gfw Posts: 1,598
    Options
    03_27_0009_41_04_small.jpg
    <p />mensa, I also have a medium egg and went through 3 ceramic grids - the cast iron trivet is about 8 inches and the original grid for the medium is 6.5 inches. I used a 7 inch floor drain (check out the link) and made sure that the square edges were rounded - I've been using it since March 26th without problems - it is just the right size to "float" in the medium.

[ul][li]Trivet / Fire Grate[/ul]