Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

No brisket for henapple

Options
henapple
henapple Posts: 16,025
Stopped yesterday to look at the briskets. Publix... $6.57 lb. I actually called the butcher out and asked him if they were joking.

Kroger has bb on sale and St Louis ribs. I've got 35 lbs going on tomorrow and ribs tonight.

I love the town I live in, it's home. Unfortunately you can't find anything here. I looked at a tri-tip... Looked like a swollen flank steak. Love my butcher but can't refinance my house to buy there very often. I might open an international market.
Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 

Comments

• hapster
    hapster Posts: 7,503
    Options
    Try buying them online... That's a crazy price for brisket
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    That's  insane.  Costco or Sam's  nearby? Seafood  is pretty good  and some folks like the meats.  

Open the market...  But groceries from Nashville don't count as international. =)

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    Quit bitching and move to Texas... Or Maryland. 5.99/lb is the highest I've seen it.
  • yogi84
    yogi84 Posts: 189
    Options
    the highest I've seen it is 2.99
  • henapple
    Options
    caliking said:

That's  insane.  Costco or Sam's  nearby? Seafood  is pretty good  and some folks like the meats.  

Open the market...  But groceries from Nashville don't count as international. =)

Sam's.. My experience is their meat it full of water and tends to be dry. If I didn't live here, which I love, I'd move to central TX... Or between Austin and New Braunfels. I might move next to @Mickey.
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,471
    Options
    @yogi84, where do you live?  

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• Eggcelsior
    Options
    Find a Costco or RD.
  • Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    Options
    Has anyone found reasonable online briskets? Most of the ones I have found are extremely pricey.
    Greensboro, NC
  • Eggcelsior
    Options
    Wolfpack said:

Has anyone found reasonable online briskets? Most of the ones I have found are extremely pricey.

I've see good prices on brisket. It's the shipping that kills you. Generally prime or Waygu.
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,836
    Options

"Stopped yesterday to look at the briskets. Publix... $6.57 lb. I actually called the butcher out and asked him if they were joking."

I know I speak for the rest of us when I express thanks to @henapple for doing the monetary exahange back to US currency.  We all know that in his head he saw that price and did some serious cipherin....  $6.57/pound..... PBR is $9 for a 12 pack...  (fingers moving) ...carry the 2.... (long pause) .... THAT'S ALMOST 9 PBRs FOR EVERY POUND OF BRISKET!!!

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Tony you come on down. I am the least handy person in Texas and you seem to be super handy. Hell, we will make a team.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• henapple
    Options
    @Foghorn.... I used my calculator
  • Aviator
    Aviator Posts: 1,757
    edited November 2013
    Options
    Murfreesboro is growing, but one has to wait for corporate vultures to swoop in. It's all about the demographics and how many of who will shop how often and how much. Meanwhile go to the clay pit and get one or tow plates of their shiesh kabobs. Fu#%^*g fabulous.

Large and Small BGE, Blackstone 36 and a baby black Kub.

Chattanooga, TN.

• yogi84
    yogi84 Posts: 189
    Options
  • cortguitarman
    Options
    My butcher is the same way. Very expensive. I'm actually going to go for a Brisket at Walmart. I their prices are around $3.00/pound
    Mark Annville, PA
  • Brisket_Fanatic
    Options
    I buy lots of meat at SAMs and have very good results. Briskets are now prime grade and go for around 2.35/lb. picking one up tomorrow so I'll let you know

NW IA

2 LBGE, 1 SBGE, 22.5 WSM, 1 Smokey Joe

• JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Options
    Restaurant Depot in Atlanta sells USDA Choice packers for around $2.80 a pound. 

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    Was just at my Walmart. They have one with a sell by date of tomorrow marked down to $1.67/lb. Its just under 9lbs. I don't have an occasion for it, but for less than $15 I'm thinking about picking it up.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • cortguitarman
    Options
    DMW said:

Was just at my Walmart. They have one with a sell by date of tomorrow marked down to $1.67/lb. Its just under 9lbs. I don't have an occasion for it, but for less than $15 I'm thinking about picking it up.

I'd freeze that bad boy.

Mark Annville, PA
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    Just went and picked it up. Excel Choice. Really bendy, looks like it might have shrunk in the package, does that sound right?
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • hapster
    hapster Posts: 7,503
    Options
    DMW said:
    Just went and picked it up. Excel Choice. Really bendy, looks like it might have shrunk in the package, does that sound right?
    Don't think they shrink... most likely the vac sealing wasn't done right or completely. Give it the smell test before using
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Options
    maybe you could roll around during your travels with a ice chest and pick up meat instead of lump?  I'm sure some place you visit prices meat fairly.  Just a thought...
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    DMW said:
    It's been repacked. not the end of the world but make sure it smells ok. If it does, you are good to go. 

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • baychilla
    Options
    henapple said:
    Stopped yesterday to look at the briskets. Publix... $6.57 lb. I actually called the butcher out and asked him if they were joking. Kroger has bb on sale and St Louis ribs. I've got 35 lbs going on tomorrow and ribs tonight. I love the town I live in, it's home. Unfortunately you can't find anything here. I looked at a tri-tip... Looked like a swollen flank steak. Love my butcher but can't refinance my house to buy there very often. I might open an international market.
    I take that over the local $9.99+/lb brisket (and a whole brisket is a special order ><)
    Near San Francisco in California
  • jls9595
    jls9595 Posts: 1,533
    Options
    @henapple  do you ever use Tag's Meat Market in the 'Boro?  Just wondering, I've heard both good and bad.
    In Manchester, TN
    Vol For Life!
  • henapple
    Options
    I do sometimes. Great products but expensive unless you buy the loaf. I ordered my free range turkey from them. Mike seems like a good guy. Usually buy there on special occasions. They can get cuts stores can't or won't.
  • henapple
    Options
    Where are you?
  • jls9595
    Options
    Manchester.  I have bought a whole NY strip from them before which was very good.  My parents bought some steak and didn't think it was very good quality.  
    In Manchester, TN
    Vol For Life!
  • jls9595
    Options
    May have been the cook more than the meat though, he only has a gasser...
    In Manchester, TN
    Vol For Life!
  • henapple
    Options
    I bought a whole filet... Excellent. We've got to get together. You tried Ozark Oak?