Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Question for all of the Multi-eggers out there

SoCal_Griller
SoCal_Griller Posts: 516
edited November 2013 in EggHead Forum
I am very close to pulling the trigger on a second egg.  I currently have a Large and am considering purchasing a mini as well.  My reason for  buying the second egg is basically to have more options.  Multi-temp cooking, searing on the mini after roasting on the large, baking in one cooking on the other etc.

My question is, how often do you use two or more eggs for the "same cook", i.e. two eggs for a single meal.

Its mostly my wife and myself (empty nesters ) and the occasional large cook for friends/family.

Thanks in advance.
Simi Valley, California
LBGE, PBC, Annova, SMOBot

Comments

• I have 2 LBGE's  I got my 2nd Egg in October and have not had the need to use the 2 at the same time yet but I'm sure come Thanksgiving day I will be firing up both 

2 Large Eggs and a Mini 2 Pit Bulls and a Pork shoulder or butt nearby and 100% SICILIAN
    Long Island N.Y.
  • Yeah, for Thanksgiving it would make sense to use two.  Turkey on one and Butternut squash on the other.
    Simi Valley, California
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    edited November 2013
    I have a large and a mini. The mini is great for quick cooks and searing/grilling alone or while the large is roasting/grilling sides.

Plus traveling. The Mini is MUCH more convenient than the Large.
  • I have two larges. Use them both frequently. I am putting on a 11 pound brisket on one for tomorrow cooking pizzas on the other for tonight. I suggest you pull the trigger. You won't regret it.
  • I have had three larges, XL and medium going at one time. Rare but it has happened more than once

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• I have had three larges, XL and medium going at one time. Rare but it has happened more than once
    Whoaaa! Now that's some serious cooking.  How do you keep track?  Is there an iPhone app for that?  @-)
    Simi Valley, California
  • It's turkey, roast beef and ham for Christmas. Wife's family is pretty big. Need me an XXL :((

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Like you only 2 of us here. I have a large and a small. I bought the small with the same idea as you have about different temps,sides on the other egg and to be honest I have only had both fired up at the same time once. Turkey breast on the small and grandma green beans in Dutch oven and potatoes in foil on the large. I will have both goin for TG for turkey and ham. I am glad I got the small vs the mini because I can do a meat and sides for 2 of us on the egg. Last night was 4 burgers and 2 stuffed portabellos on the small, not much room left but I cooked what I needed.

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,008
    All the time. :)) I wish they were all mine. My dream deck! I have had my 3 eggs going at once for cooks before
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • I suppose it would be useful in situations where I'm doing a low and slow on one grill and sides on the other.  But right now I jut FTC while doing the sides.  But using a DO for chili/beans etc on one and doing the main cook on the other, that would be useful.  (Can you tell I'm talking myself into it?)
    Simi Valley, California
  • Weber:  Now thats a party waiting to happen!
    Simi Valley, California
  • just do it! everything goes better with 2 lbge!

• Bonar
    Bonar Posts: 28
    I have a large and a small, the mini capacity did not pan out for me. The small firebox means for daily small cooks don't burn much charcoal. Have both eggs running at the same time many times. The small hold both my Lodge 5qt dutch oven, and the 5qt double dutch oven. The dutch ovens wont fit in mini, I can cook up steaks on small with great high temp and sear.
  • WeberWho
    SoCal - Yes sir. Friday-Sunday. Bunch of eggheads up in northern Minnesota for Ice Fest. Lots and lots of beer and food!
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • WeberWho? said:
    SoCal - Yes sir. Friday-Sunday. Bunch of eggheads up in northern Minnesota for Ice Fest. Lots and lots of beer and food!
    It should be a blast this year! Maybe an arctic blast but a blast nonetheless. They sell Canadian at the store in town too. I was at the first one and there were multiple runs to refresh.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Bonar - Good point about the DO not fitting on the mini.

I think the price difference between the small and the mini is about $150.  

Weber: Ahh that explains it.  Egging in the snow, something i'll never know.
    Simi Valley, California
  • Bonar
    Bonar Posts: 28
    Clarification; The small can fit either my Lodge 5qt dutch oven, or the Lodge 5qt double dutch oven.It can hold both, but not at the same time.

I find the combo ideal for me; the large is the pizza king and so much more! The small is very versatile and handy for small cooks and when need another egg due to large at capacity.
  • It's me and hubby here too. I first bought LBGE last April...3 mo later got MBGE for the flexability of multi temp cooks etc...I got a mini 2 weeks ago to do quick, small cooks and because I didn't wanna be outdone when I read others getting one...besides, they are so cute!!!  I requested it as an early Christmas present. Hopefully he will have forgotten that and I'll get something else too! I used the LBGE and MBGE concomitantly once so far. I'm sure I will again. 
    LBGE 4/2012, MBGE 6/2012 & Mini 11/2013
    Rome, GA
  • JohnMc
    JohnMc Posts: 76
    I have a large and a medium I picked cheap used. I find I use the med a lot for high temp (steaks, beans, corn, sides) and the large mostly for lo and slo. Especially use both at same time when cooking things that don't require long rests (ribs) on large and higher temp sides on med.
  • WeberWho

WeberWho? said:

It should be a blast this year! Maybe an arctic blast but a blast nonetheless. They sell Canadian at the store in town too. I was at the first one and there were multiple runs to refresh.

I made that mistake the first year. I think we brought 3 - 24 packs last year to eliminate the runs and refresh :))

Minnesota
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,432
    Even though I live alone I bought a Large first, as I often cook two briskets for office parties, etc.  It killed me to fire the big thing up, burning all that charcoal, just to cook a sausage for myself or similar for many meals.
    I looked at the Small vs. the Mini for a long time, then read somewhere that the Mini was good for "two chicken breasts or a single steak".  I wanted to be able to cook two steaks, so went with the Small (as I think the OP should).  Ironically, haven't had a date since… :(
    I've since figured out that a wok works very well on the Small, not sure if I could make it work on the Mini, so I'm extremely happy with my purchase now.  

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• Great points and thanks for the input.  
    Botch:  Your right, there have been times when I want to cook up a couple of sausages for lunch, but firing up the large just for that seems over kill, so I just used a cast iron pan on the stove.  If the mini can only handle a single steak, then that would not work for  SWMBO  and I.  Do the small and mini come up to temp quicker than a large?  Seems like they wood.
    Simi Valley, California
  • shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,629
    I have burgers and dogs on the large and reverse searing a ribeye on the small right now. Just pulled brats from the small.

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    I feel for sure that from light to cook my small is faster than the large. On the flip side it seems that it takes the small longer to recover when you put a bigger hunk of meat on.

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,432
    ^ What Mattman said.  

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• I use two once in awhile, and once used all three.  An XL lets you cook direct and indirect at the same time, which is useful.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• I have a large and a small. It is something that you wouldn't use together all the time, however, if you were doing a low and slow on one, you could still fire up the other egg for a meal while a pork butt was being done. I have used both when doing baked potatoes on one and getting ready for steaks on the other. Also if you wanted to do two pizzas at a time.There are uses for two, just depends how you roll. I love my two eggs and I would consider getting a mini.
    Do it, you won't regret it.
    :D;)
    Large, small, and a mini
  • R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    I'm usually cooking for two so it is pretty rare that I'll fire up two or more Eggs at the same time for one meal. Usually when I do cook on more than one I'm cooking lunch in one Egg and a longer cook in the other Egg for dinner.

XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    We each needed one - large for me, small for SWMBO, and the mini for the one on the way :)

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • FWIW, most combos I have heard about seem to use Eggs 2 sizes apart (i.e. XL/M or L/S)  Don't have any particular data to back up why, but it appears to be a fairly common way it works out for many.  Mine is XL/M.
    A poor widows son.
    See der Rabbits, Iowa