Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It doesn’t get much hotter than the EGG cookin’ in July! Make sure to keep yourself hydrated with a bit of whatever you’re using for the Beer Can Chicken. Ice Cream Sandwiches are also a great way to stay cool. Looking for some great ideas for a summer cook out? Try out a Pimento Cheeseburger or Dr. BBQ’s Spare Rib Surprise. Just don’t be surprised if your neighbors stop by for a quick bite when they smell what you’re cooking!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

LOOK what I made!!

Well, I have been wanting a table for the egg but just can't quite justify one right now. So I got to thinking what could I do to beef up my nest with side shelves. I have never really cared for the thin cedar shelves that came stock on my egg so, I decided to make some new ones!  My dad is a master carpenter and always has some wood laying around. I picked up a board of White Oak, traced the old shelves and cut new ones. I sanded and rubbed them with tung oil. I know they aren't going to last forever in the rain, but my egg lives indoors and only occasionally gets caught in the rain during a cook.  All I have is a free board , oil and a few days invested in them anyway.  Here is what It looks like with the new shelves. I think it turned out pretty good!

Jeff from Winston-Salem, NC  - LBGE
·

Comments

• CANMAN1976CANMAN1976 Posts: 1,558
    Well, I have been wanting a table for the egg but just can't quite justify one right now. So I got to thinking what could I do to beef up my nest with side shelves. I have never really cared for the thin cedar shelves that came stock on my egg so, I decided to make some new ones!  My dad is a master carpenter and always has some wood laying around. I picked up a board of White Oak, traced the old shelves and cut new ones. I sanded and rubbed them with tung oil. I know they aren't going to last forever in the rain, but my egg lives indoors and only occasionally gets caught in the rain during a cook.  All I have is a free board , oil and a few days invested in them anyway.  Here is what It looks like with the new shelves. I think it turned out pretty good!

Looks good man...awesome job!!! Seem someone use cutting boards recently that was cool too;)
    Hows ya gettin' on, me ol cock

Kippens.Newfoundland and Labrador. (Canada).
    ·
  • bud812bud812 Posts: 1,426
    I am in the process of doing the same, but I'm using redwood.

Not to get technical, but according to chemistry alcohol is a solution...

Large & Small BGE

Stockton Ca.

·
  • hapsterhapster Posts: 6,938
    They look great! Well done!
    ·
  • BotchBotch Posts: 3,210
    I wish I'd put some kind of finish on the original thin cedar planks, they're soaked in grease and dirt and ugly as hell now.  Your project has me thinking…  :-bd

Live fast, die young, and leave a well-marbled corpse.  

Ogden, Utard.  
    ·
  • YEMTreyYEMTrey Posts: 2,446
    Nice.  They look great.  Really adds to the look of the Egg.
    XL and a Mini Max Egg in Cincinnati, Ohio
    ·
  • henapplehenapple Posts: 14,435
    Good job...
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
    ·
  • Very Nice
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
    ·
  • That white oak will outlast you and me. White oak is an excellent choice for outdoor wood.
    Mark Annville, PA
    ·
  • calikingcaliking Posts: 6,977
    Most excellent. The tung oil finish looks nice.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
    ·
  • GATABITESGATABITES Posts: 1,089
    nice work brother
    XL BGE 
    Joe JR 
    Reisterstown, MD
    ·
  • CanuggheadCanugghead Posts: 4,661
    Nice!  Sorry, have to ask, is that kick ass brush for basting ribs or staining wood, or both?  :D
    canuckland
    ·
  • Nice job, Tung oil weather very well. You will be pleased. 
    Delta B.C. - Vee-Gan: old Indian word for poor hunter. 
    ·
  • GK59GK59 Posts: 501
    Lookin' good man.

Smitty's Kid's BBQ

Bay City,MI

·
  • pineypiney Posts: 601
    Looks great! Hard to beat that tarheel ingenuity.
    Lenoir, N.C.
    ·
  • Nice!  Sorry, have to ask, is that kick ass brush for basting ribs or staining wood, or both?  :D
    I use it like a broom when I clean the egg. Just something to bush the charcoal dust off and clean out the tracks on the bottom vent.
    Jeff from Winston-Salem, NC  - LBGE
    ·