Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First attempt at a full packer

Options
I'm having some buddies over tomorrow night for the UFC fights. I planned on doing a tri-tip or something equivalent but came across a ridiculous deal at Sam's club. Despite rumors of bad meat, the price was too sweet to pass on. Prime brisket for $2.58/lb. choice flats were $3.75/lb. I looked around to see if anyone recognized that they were potentially mis-marked. I ended up going with a 10.5lb brisket for about $27.00.

I plan on going all out...I'll smoke it as low as I can maintain until its fork tender. I'll split the point and flat and I'm going to ATTEMPT burnt ends.

It's going on tonight around midnight. I have it trimmed and rubbed down with a homemade brisket rub, and it's waiting in the fridge until later tonight.

I'm a bit on the nervous side...I suck at brisket flats. Hopefully whole packers are a touch more forgiving.

Before I light the grill, should I go fat cap up or down? All arguments are valid.

LBGE since June 2012

Omaha, NE

Comments

• travisstrick
    Options
    I'd buy 10 at that price. Where you be at?
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • bud812
    bud812 Posts: 1,869
    Options
    His sig. says Omaha.

Not to get technical, but according to chemistry alcohol is a solution...

Large & Small BGE

Stockton Ca.

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    Pretty cool NAFTA cow.
  • SaltySam
    SaltySam Posts: 887
    Options
    @travisstrick, yep...I'm in Omaha. If this cook goes well tonight, I'll go back and get another. They had all of their "holiday cuts" out. $75.00 beef tenderloins, $125.00 rib roasts, etc. it's good to be in beef country

LBGE since June 2012

Omaha, NE

• Scottborasjr
    Scottborasjr Posts: 3,494
    edited November 2013
    Options
    Don't be nervous, should be good weather to let it ride. The first time I tried a packer it was snowing and the snow plugged up the daisy wheel and with the bottom vent only being open less then a 1 /4 inch the fire went out.  You should have Ideal weather to get this done if you are putting it on at midnight. How low are you going to be cooking it? None of my Eggs like below 260* for maintaining a long cook.

Should be a helluva a night for the fights, there's a lot of good looking matchups. Really think the undercard will be better then the main event and the co-main event. If Hendricks doesn't K.O. GSP in the first round and a half you are looking at another GSP decision victory. And as much as I enjoy listening to Chael talk, Evans is physically the better fighter. But that's why they play the game, it isn't decided on paper or words on the internet.

Oh yeah, fat cap down, unless you have a temperature controller to maintain the pit.  Don't really think it matters either way but if you are cooking as low as you can that will provide a barrier to the meat.
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • Mike_the_BBQ_Fanatic
    Options
    I got the same last week at SAMs about the same price in DSM, Ia...turned out super tender...burn ends were the best part.
    Making the neighbors jealous in Pleasant Hill, Ia one cook at a time...
  • cortguitarman
    Options
    I'll be following this one closely. I plan in doing my first packer tomorrow
    Mark Annville, PA
  • SaltySam
    Options
    @scottborasjr, dude...you and I think exactly alike. As much as I'd like to see a finish, I'm predicting another decision for GSP. The prelims even look awesome. I'm a big fan of Cerrone, so hopefully he does well. Should be a good night.

The brisket just went on, fat cap down. Egg is stable at 250 and that thing barely fits in there. It's easily the biggest thing I've ever cooked. Should be done around noon, I imagine.

I made a rub of equal parts brown sugar, ancho chili powder, paprika, salt and pepper, and then 1/2 part fresh ground coffee. It's Mickey rub-esque. I have high hopes.

I'm following the method of a YouTube video from a guy named Cary Silverman. It's a three part series and covers every aspect with awesome detail. Thanks for the help, fellas!

LBGE since June 2012

Omaha, NE

• Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    Looking forward to see how yours comes out. Mine just went on. Little over 10lbs. Salt and pepper only. Fat cap up at 225. Normally I do 250 but not in a rush, just need it done by 6 for the Baylor game. First trial run of the Flame Boss. Will bump it in the morning if I feel it's running slow.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Griffin
    Options
    Hickory and oak for smoke.

Rowlett, Texas

• radamo
    radamo Posts: 373
    Options
    Good luck with the cook... anxiously waiting to see the results.  Very jealous of the pricing on that bad boy.  We don't see Prime briskets in that range here in NY. 
    Long Island, NY
  • Griffin
    Options
    :( Well poop. I must have had a fast brisket. Finished in under 9 hours (9am here). Too bad dinner isn't till 5. 

Rowlett, Texas

• SaltySam
    Options
    I'll update shortly...started having weird temp fluctuations around 8 hrs in

LBGE since June 2012

Omaha, NE

• Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,834
    edited November 2013
    Options

@Griffin, are you going to FTC for 8 hours? Or refrigerate and reheat?

Or just have it for breakfast and plan something else for dinner?

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• Griffin
    Options
    Refrigerate and reheat. 

Rowlett, Texas

• TexanOfTheNorth
    Options
    Griffin said:
    Refrigerate and reheat. 
    I'm sure it will still be good although your enjoyment of the brisket may be largely determined by the outcome of the game.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Options
    Update...apparently the oldest had a basketball tournament this morning. Right about the time I was scheduled to pull the brisket off was when game #1 started. I decided to forego stirring the coals and kind of let it snuff itself out since I didn't have a clue when we would get back. When I left, the grid temp was 220 and falling, with the brisket holding steady at 160, where it had been for about two hours.

Three hours later, I got back and the grid temp was 178, and the meat was still 158. Stirred the coals, and I'm back up and running. Grid temp is 255. I think I might bump it up to finish within the next hour or two. I snapped a pic just before closing the lid. It smelled freaking awesome. So far so good.

LBGE since June 2012

Omaha, NE

• jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167
    Options
    Looking real good................looking forward to the final report and pics of the finished product.
    John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,336
    Options
    @SaltySam-By now you have probably figured that the brisket won't get to the finish-line in an "hour or two" unless you foil or go "way hot".  But every one has its own cook profile-looks great, enjoy the eats and don't cut the cook short for time-you have too much invested.  When you can probe the thickest part of the flat (even with a packer) and get no resistance you are there.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • SaltySam
    Options
    We are there! Just got the point trimmed off and back on for burnt ends. The flat is FtC'd and tastes incredible.

I'll take pictures when I slice it up.

LBGE since June 2012

Omaha, NE

• Scottborasjr
    Options
    Glad to hear it turned out @SaltySam.  Thinking I might bug my buddy with a Sam's membership to head over there and see if I can throw one on tonight or tomorrow.  Looking forward to the pics. 
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • SaltySam
    Options
    Burnt ends are done. I'll just say "wow"

LBGE since June 2012

Omaha, NE

• Mike_the_BBQ_Fanatic
    Options
    Mine from SAMs last week got done in like 9 too...rested in a cooler for about 4 hours then in a 170 degree oven til 5 and it tasted great...only issue was it fell apart like a pulled pork...from a taste perspective it was a A+...but it was so fall apart it was tough to slice...Also had trouble getting the burnt ends as small as I wanted them...I thought it might have been related to how early it got done.
    Making the neighbors jealous in Pleasant Hill, Ia one cook at a time...
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Griffin said:

:( Well poop. I must have had a fast brisket. Finished in under 9 hours (9am here). Too bad dinner isn't till 5. 

If you would have called I would have walked you through it. Don't be afraid to ask for help.

:))
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • SaltySam
    Options
    Finally... We're home. Excellent smoke ring and tender and juicy.

LBGE since June 2012

Omaha, NE

• Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    Options
    Nice- I need to do another one soon.
    Greensboro, NC
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    I'll take a couple of sammiches over here, please :)

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Terrebandit
    Terrebandit Posts: 1,750
    Options
    Nice job.
    Dave - Austin, TX
  • cortguitarman
    Options
    Looks good. Mine is going on at midnight tonight. Did you put any liquid in your drip pan?
    Mark Annville, PA
  • Scottborasjr
    Options
    Very nicely done!!!