Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

My egg history going on 34 years//how long have you had yours?

Options
Ok guys,How long have you owned a egg??
A little bit about my history. I bought my first small egg from Ed Fisher himself back in 1980. He was selling them out of a store that was called "The Pinchinko House" across from Pikes nursery on the corner of Buford Hwy and Clairmont Rd  In Chamblee Ga. Well might have been Doraville . Trying to remember back 34 years so bare with me :). At this time nobody at all knew anything about them. He would have them set up out on the sidewalk cooking something and the smell would bring you in to the store. He had a small place way in the back of those Japanese pinball machines. This was when he was getting them straight from Korea and they were made out of clay. He had red ones and green ones. Im not sure when he changed everything to have them made in Mexico and not out of clay anymore. I bought a small one from him. At this time he had no accessories. When you cooked on them the black sticky resin would drip down the side and of course the paint faded.I would take this egg down to the hunting camp and of course it was a hit. I had rigged up some handles that were made out of a chain link dog collar that I attached to the metal band that goes around  the bottom part of the egg. One cold morning a buddy and I picked that egg up to load up and head home and the bottom feel off and broke into 50 pieces and we were left holding the handles and the band and the top part of the egg!!!  That first one lasted me about 10 years I think. Well soon after that I bought a medium size one and along with a cast iron daisy wheel top. The other broke when it fell off the lid when I opened it. 
In 1999 the egg came with me to Orlando for  2 years then in 2001 it moved to Dallas TX. This one did not make the move as the bottom broke:(. At this time the eggs were out to different dealers and BBQ Galores sold them. I still have this one so it is going on 14 years.I moved back to Atlanta area in 2006 This one made it!!. Ed moved his place to Tucker GA and has a huge storefront and warehouse sometime in the 90's.
The only accessories I have ever had were the cast iron daisy wheel vent top that is stuck on the top of the egg becuse of the resin and a V rack for ribs. Never had a plate setter which I just bought but have not used. I never have replaced a gasket as this one is just a solid ring of black resin. I always tossed that chicken on the grate or in the v rack. Vented the bottom about a quarter of an inch and the top about an 1/8 of an inch. The temp just always stayed at 300 and I pulled the bird in about an hour or so.
Sure I have cooked other things,ribs, butts,turkey breasts etc.. But never tried pizza,or a brisket or vented the egg for a long cook of 12 hours!!. Actually did not know I could do that!. Never even came to this forum until about a week ago! Now I want to try other things like the plate setter and I have on my list a digiQ so I can try a long overnight cook,
Im even building a table for it! It has always lived in the stand it came with.
So this is my story and Im sticking to it. Lets here some old timers stories on how long they have the egg.
Im on number 3 and hope it lasts for another 14 years or more! I will say it is seasoned well.I always have to take a screw driver to pry it open as it remains stuck shut
Jefferson .GA.  
Been egging since 1985 on a medium egg

Comments

• Little Steven
    Options
    Sir!

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    Fantastic story!
  • 30yearegger
    Options
    I two have been egging for over thirty years. My first was a orange Imperial Kamado also bought in Atlanta. I use to go to the store when they were cooking on the sidewalk.
    Easley SC Go! Tigers
  • Little Steven
    Options
    I feel like a rookie here.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    Bought a Kamado in SE Asia in '68-'69? and drug it around until ' early 70's when it was destroyed in a move.  Did not get another until '02, now I have 2 large, medium and a small.  Wonder what I missed in the inbetween years. '
  • Scott805
    Scott805 Posts: 349
    Options
    Been egging for one (1) year as of last week.  Been the best year of my life!

Large BGE, 2 Tier Adjustable Swing Rack System, three (3) bricks from Home Depot for raised direct, Blackstone 22" Griddle - Finally have a decent cooking area!

Dallas, TX

• Charlesmaneri
    Options
    I got my 1st Egg Christmas day 2012 and my 2nd egg October 12th 2013 at Eggtoberfest  ,I have been a Eggaholic ever since Christmas now I'm hoping Santa brings me a mini 
    2 Large Eggs and a Mini 2 Pit Bulls and a Pork shoulder or butt nearby and 100% SICILIAN
    Long Island N.Y.
  • laserdoc85
    Options
    some great comments guys.  This could a long thread :-)
    Jefferson .GA.  
  • Little Steven
    Options
    Bought a Kamado in SE Asia in '68-'69? and drug it around until ' early 70's when it was destroyed in a move.  Did not get another until '02, now I have 2 large, medium and a small.  Wonder what I missed in the inbetween years. '

I was gonna say that you are probably the oldest egger, no strike that, most experienced egger around. Cheers buddy!

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• laserdoc85
    Options
    I just hope I don't have to buy another one anytime soon. They are just to darn expensive!!! You about have to take out a loan now days! :-)
    Jefferson .GA.  
  • Cymbaline65
    Options
    My first egg was summer of '91. Bought it from Ed too.
    In the  Hinterlands between Cumming and Gainesville, GA
    Med BGE, Weber Kettle, Weber Smokey Joe, Brinkman Dual Zone, Weber Genesis Gas Grill and portable gasser for boating
  • jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167
    Options

Okay, I've been egging for almost 30 years, 3 1/2 ( May of '00) to be real exact!

Started with a large, and, at @Mickey's urging, bought a mini a year ago.

What a great journey..................................... 

John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • flynnbob
    flynnbob Posts: 665
    Options
    @laserdoc85 You need to go back to Fisher and have him replace the eggs that fell apart!  Great story!
    Milton, GA.
  • CANMAN1976
    CANMAN1976 Posts: 1,593
    Options
    Two years and I don't know how I managed before the egg!!
    Hows ya gettin' on, me ol ****

Kippens.Newfoundland and Labrador. (Canada).
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    edited November 2013
    Options
    After the weber thread earlier I'm really getting suspicious now.
    But this one's neat. I really love hearing guys talking about using this thing for 30 odd years. Pretty cool.
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • CANMAN1976
    CANMAN1976 Posts: 1,593
    Options
    Two years and I don't know how I managed before the egg!!
    Jeezus.... I must be drunk just reread my post and realized I'e only had my egg since June....time to start mixing singles I guess!!!! LOL
    Hows ya gettin' on, me ol ****

Kippens.Newfoundland and Labrador. (Canada).
  • SoCal_Griller
    Options
    About a year and a half for me.  Planning on adding to the gaggle real soon though.  30 some odd years? And without a plate setter!  My hats off to you!  
    Simi Valley, California
    LBGE, PBC, Annova, SMOBot
  • Jebpot
    Jebpot Posts: 374
    Options
    Got my XL in april and the wife gets upset because I want to cook all the time. Go figure. What I do not eat I vac seal and give to my daughter and family and neighbors. Makes me a great hit with her.lol  Hated spending the $$$ but it is the best $$ I have ever spent!!  Then meeting you all on the forum I found out I did not  know a lot. Hats off to all of you for educating me.

XL and Small

Chattanooga, TN

• shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,654
    Options
    I've had my large for 11 months and the small for 5 months. Can't imagine life without them.

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    I'm a newbie. Got my XL in April 2013. It got me started on my way to real BBQ then pizza, bread, now I just started bacon and smoking cheese. In between have learned so much about cooking and food in general. This forum has been awesome.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • cortguitarman
    Options
    I've had my XL since January of 2012. Loved every minute of it.
    Mark Annville, PA