Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We’re halfway through National Barbecue Month and loving every minute of it. We hope you’ve had some time to try out some new recipes and enjoy a few old favorites as well. If you’d a couple tips on smoking meat, check out our Smoking Basics Publication. For delicious recipes, try Justin Moore’s BBQ Shrimp, Greg Bate’s BBQ Dr. Pepper Chicken, Bobby Flay’s Chicken Thighs or Dr. BBQ’s new Maple Brined Pork Chops. Need dessert? Finish off your meal with some Planked Twinkies. Have a great rest of May & get ready for some fun summer happenings!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

LOOK what I made!!

Well, I have been wanting a table for the egg but just can't quite justify one right now. So I got to thinking what could I do to beef up my nest with side shelves. I have never really cared for the thin cedar shelves that came stock on my egg so, I decided to make some new ones!  My dad is a master carpenter and always has some wood laying around. I picked up a board of White Oak, traced the old shelves and cut new ones. I sanded and rubbed them with tung oil. I know they aren't going to last forever in the rain, but my egg lives indoors and only occasionally gets caught in the rain during a cook.  All I have is a free board , oil and a few days invested in them anyway.  Here is what It looks like with the new shelves. I think it turned out pretty good!

Jeff from Winston-Salem, NC  - LBGE
·

Comments

• CANMAN1976CANMAN1976 Posts: 1,549
    Well, I have been wanting a table for the egg but just can't quite justify one right now. So I got to thinking what could I do to beef up my nest with side shelves. I have never really cared for the thin cedar shelves that came stock on my egg so, I decided to make some new ones!  My dad is a master carpenter and always has some wood laying around. I picked up a board of White Oak, traced the old shelves and cut new ones. I sanded and rubbed them with tung oil. I know they aren't going to last forever in the rain, but my egg lives indoors and only occasionally gets caught in the rain during a cook.  All I have is a free board , oil and a few days invested in them anyway.  Here is what It looks like with the new shelves. I think it turned out pretty good!

Looks good man...awesome job!!! Seem someone use cutting boards recently that was cool too;)
    Hows ya gettin' on, me ol cock? 

Kippens.Newfoundland and Labrador. (Canada).
    ·
  • bud812bud812 Posts: 1,400
    I am in the process of doing the same, but I'm using redwood.

Not to get technical, but according to chemistry alcohol is a solution...

Large & Small BGE

Stockton Ca.

·
  • hapsterhapster Posts: 6,768
    They look great! Well done!
    ·
  • BotchBotch Posts: 3,126
    I wish I'd put some kind of finish on the original thin cedar planks, they're soaked in grease and dirt and ugly as hell now.  Your project has me thinking…  :-bd

Live fast, die young, and leave a well-marbled corpse.  

Ogden, Utard.  
    ·
  • YEMTreyYEMTrey Posts: 2,272
    Nice.  They look great.  Really adds to the look of the Egg.
    XL BGE and Mini Max in Cincinnati, Ohio
    "REMEMBER DUANE ALLMAN"
    ·
  • henapplehenapple Posts: 14,223
    Good job...
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
    ·
  • Very Nice
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
    ·
  • That white oak will outlast you and me. White oak is an excellent choice for outdoor wood.
    Mark Annville, PA
    ·
  • calikingcaliking Posts: 6,777
    Most excellent. The tung oil finish looks nice.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
    ·
  • GATABITESGATABITES Posts: 1,068
    nice work brother
    XL BGE 
    Joe JR 
    Reisterstown, MD
    ·
  • CanuggheadCanugghead Posts: 4,583
    Nice!  Sorry, have to ask, is that kick ass brush for basting ribs or staining wood, or both?  :D
    canuckland
    ·
  • Nice job, Tung oil weather very well. You will be pleased. 
    Delta B.C. - Vee-Gan: old Indian word for poor hunter. 
    ·
  • GK59GK59 Posts: 501
    Lookin' good man.

Smitty's Kid's BBQ

Bay City,MI

·
  • pineypiney Posts: 538
    Looks great! Hard to beat that tarheel ingenuity.
    Lenoir, N.C.
    ·
  • Nice!  Sorry, have to ask, is that kick ass brush for basting ribs or staining wood, or both?  :D
    I use it like a broom when I clean the egg. Just something to bush the charcoal dust off and clean out the tracks on the bottom vent.
    Jeff from Winston-Salem, NC  - LBGE
    ·