Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Rack's of Pork

Options
Are back at Costco!!  Just picked up two today.  :D =D>

Mike

I'm ashamed what I did for a Klondike Bar!!

Omaha, NE

Comments

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Holy sh*t!  I missed out on them last year,  and have been waiting for them to resurface. Time to stock up. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    What are racks of pork?  Ribeye roasts?  Bone in pork chop roasts?
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    I've actually been seeing them at Tom Thumb lately. Bone in, unsliced and cheap as all get out. Never cooked one before, wish I had room to stuff some in my freezer for later.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• GrannyX4
    GrannyX4 Posts: 1,491
    Options
    Cooked one tonight with roasted butternut squash, carrots, onions, and red pepper. Good eats. ;;)
    Every day is a bonus day and every meal is a banquet in Winter Springs, Fl !
  • Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    Options
    So what exactly is this cut and how does everyone cook it- sounds like something I need to check out
    Greensboro, NC
  • GrannyX4
    GrannyX4 Posts: 1,491
    Options
    It's a bone in rack of pork enhanced with a salt solution. Cooked raised direct at 350 rubbed with a spicy mustard and McCormick steak seasoning.
    Every day is a bonus day and every meal is a banquet in Winter Springs, Fl !
  • yzzi
    yzzi Posts: 1,843
    Options
    Yes! Just discovered these last year, was pretty bummed when I found out they were seasonal and I missed out putting a few in the freezer.
    Dunedin, FL
  • caliking
    Options
    yzzi said:

Yes! Just discovered these last year, was pretty bummed when I found out they were seasonal and I missed out putting a few in the freezer.

You, for one, know my pain.

• Mama Roneck
    Options
    One of the easiest, bestest roasts on the egg.  Pre-brined so pretty hard to screw it up.  Takes smoke nicely.  Rub with what you got in the cupboard and it'll taste good.  We easily do 5 or 6 every year while Costco has them in stock.
    Mamaroneck
  • Scottborasjr
    Options
    Can someone get a Costco closer to me?  Enjoy the nice eats those of you who are privy to it.
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • Mama Roneck
    Options
    Big Costco fan.  But Costco would be a lot better if they'd start selling packer briskets in the Northeast.  I'd take that any day over our racks o' pork (although I do like those!).
    Mamaroneck
  • Skiddymarker
    Options
    Rack of pork, saw them in the Bellingham Costco - this was a couple of months ago, no finish shot as I was overcome with hunger. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • SmokinOutBack
    Options
    Just picked one up to try for the first time, thanks for the post.
    Cherry Hill, NJ
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    Options
    Just got back home from Costco... they did not have the rack of pork
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Options
    More rib or butt taste? Yes, I said butt taste.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Skiddymarker
    Options
    @henapple - More of a loin taste, the meat is quite lean, unlike either ribs or butt, IMO. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • flemster
    flemster Posts: 269
    Options
    Loved these when I discovered them last year. Didn't realize they were seasonal. Will stock up this year.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------

Keywords: Gator, Nashvegas, LBGE, Looftlighter, Thermapen in Racing Green (faster than the red one!), PSWOO2, Spider with CI, IQ120
  • yzzi
    Options
    @hennaple they're just a whole roast of pork chops but cook really nicely.
    Dunedin, FL
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    165 indirect?
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • MrCookingNurse
    Options
    It sure looks fancy

XLBGE 
  • billyray
    billyray Posts: 1,275
    Options
    They are simply the pork loin with the bones attached.Our Costco has these every Thanksgiving through Christmas. Very versatile cut. We cook them whole as a bone in pork loin roast, or cut into individual bone in chops. Cut the bones off the loin and you have a rack of babybacks and a boneless pork loin roast. Cook the boneless piece whole as a roast or cut into boneless chops. Another option is to get 2 and tie them together, bones to the inside, stuff the center and you have a crown pork roast.

We always buy 5 or 6 at a time and prep them into the different cuts and freeze. That way whatever the occasion you have a variety to choose from.

@ henapple cook them all to 140-145. Pull 10 degrees early if you are going to reverse sear.

Felton, Ca. 2-LBGE, 1-Small, PBC, PK360, Genesis Summit, Camp Chef Flattop, Smokefire 24, Traeger Pro Series 22 Pellet with a Smoke Daddy insert, Gateway 55 Gal. drum, SNS Kettle w/acc.
  • caliking
    Options
    The anticipation is building. I can't wait to go clean them out. 

• yzzi
    Options
    +1 on the 140s.
    Dunedin, FL
  • Mama Roneck
    Options
    Our first of the season. Simply rubbed with olive oil, salt, pepper, fresh garlic, rosemary. Indirect at 400 to about 155. Left it a little long, but you really can't overcook these since they're pre-brined.

Delicious as always. With the Costco rack o' pork and the peppermint jo-jos at Trader Joes, I know holidays are right around the corner.

+1 on the crown roast too! We did that for a big crowd on Christmas last year. Big success.

Mamaroneck
  • caliking
    Options
    I almost took a knife to my screen and cut a hunk off for myself. Looks good ! :)

• yzzi
    Options
    Big let down today when I didn't find any at Costco. Came home with 2#s of gouda and 2# of pepper jack cheese that's smoking now. I WANT MY PORK RACKS!
    Dunedin, FL
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    I'll have to see if Sam's has them.
    Flint, Michigan
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    I see in both pictures above that the rack has been "frenched" (I think that's the right term). The ones I've seen in the store, the meat was not cut out between the bones. Does Costco sell them that way. If I picked up one that wasn't "frenched", what do you do with that extra meat and fat that your remove? Or should you just leave it on?

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Mama Roneck
    Options
    The Costco racks are frenched.
    Mamaroneck
  • BOWHUNR
    BOWHUNR Posts: 1,487
    Options
    I'll have to see if Sam's has them.
    Sorry Fred, but I belong to both and I've never seen that cut at Sam's.  Not to say they won't with the obvious popularity shown here.

Mike

I'm ashamed what I did for a Klondike Bar!!

Omaha, NE