Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Turkey gravy for spatchcocked turkey

Options
Not that the turkey will need it for moisture but more for flavor on inner cut meat.  Since I am spatchcocking the turkey and wont have any drippings how can I make a good gravy?  I do not want that store bought crap in a jar.

Garnerville, NY

Comments

• Hoov
    Hoov Posts: 264
    Options
    How about making a stock from the neck and giblets. I'm sure pan drippings are great (I don't know, I've never done a turkey), but homemade turkey stock with a roux can't be bad!
    - Proud owner of a Large BGE
    - Norman, OK
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    I've already started making turkey stock for thanksgiving gravy. I'm experimenting w. sectioning turkey wings, and Egging the "drumettes." The other 2 sections I rubbed, and baked in the oven till golden brown. Then into a pressure cooker w. the usual mirepoix, and about a quart of fluid. After about 1.5 hours, I strain the solids out, and chill the fluids. (the meat is edible, just doesn't have much flavor left.) After the fat sets on the top, I skim that. The resulting stock usually forms  a gel that can be stored sealed in the fridge for a few weeks.

I'll be making a chocolate roux in advance, and freezing it till needed.

Once you start making your own stocks, both store gravy and broth will no longer be acceptable.

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,749
    Options
    i sometimes make a duck a week or two ahead just for the grease to make a roux for the turkey gravey. i freeze it and slip slivers if the fat up under the skin for the cook as well
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • robnybbq
    robnybbq Posts: 1,911
    Options
    thanks - looks like I am cooking turkey parts next weekend

Garnerville, NY
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    Options
    You can also add a shot of this for a little flavor boost!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Options
    I roast turkey parts in the oven. We don't care for a smoke flavor in the gravy. Onions, celery, carrots, bay leaves, thyme, broth or water, along with the roasted parts in the pressure cooker. When done strain the broth and then on to the stove to reduce and concentrate the flavor. No salt or seasoning until broth is reduced. Can also be done on the stovetop.
    Every day is a bonus day and every meal is a banquet in Winter Springs, Fl !
  • Little Steven
    Options
    Granny, I do the same thing without the pressure cooker. Gotta get the turkey smell in the kitchen somehow. :)

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options

Granny, I do the same thing without the pressure cooker. Gotta get the turkey smell in the kitchen somehow. :)

We are kindred spirits.
  • hapster
    hapster Posts: 7,503
    Options
    Last year I smoked some necks and wings, and then put them in a roasting pan over onions, carrots, and celery in a 350 oven for a few hours. Put them all in a pot and made my gravy base/stock from that... Turned out very well