Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Introductory post from Kansas

Options
Egcel
Egcel Posts: 5
edited November 2013 in EggHead Forum

Hello all, 

I've been enjoying the free eggducation and all of the pictures here so I thought I would post my appreciation.  I've only owned my Large egg for 3 weeks but have managed to cook several quality meals, meatloaf, butterflied pork loin, spatchcock chicken, steaks, and now pair of 6 1/2 pound pork butts.

There was no ground breaking method used here for the pulled pork.  Both were covered with mustard, one was rubbed with Head Country dry rub and the other rubbed with someones rub recipe I copied from the forums. The egg was set for indirect cooking with a drip pan on the platesetter.  The butts were placed on the V-rack fat side up.  They were actually touching in the center in the rack.  You can see from the only picture I took how much they shrunk during the cook. 

I put them on the egg last night at 9:30 pm and pulled them from the egg at 9 am this morning.  I was shooting for 250 dome temp but it crept up and ran at 300 for a couple of hours before I got it to start dropping.  I went to bed and woke up with the dome temp sitting on 250.  After the internal temp hit 190 or so I got impatient and kicked the temp up to 300 until the internal temp of 200 when I removed it from the egg and FTC until I pulled the pork at 11:30.  

It was the best pulled pork I've ever made and fell apart as I pulled it.  Thank you all for sharing your experiences, it is appreciated.

Comments