Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It’s almost football season, so we’re perfecting our favorite tailgating and homegating recipes! Whether you like hamburgers, wings, brats, ribs or something cooked with beer, we have everything you’ll need for the perfect tailgate party. We always like inviting friends to join our tailgates because the EGG is about community and having fun, so make sure if you’re inviting company you make extra - the food will be gone before you know it! Don't forget dessert, either!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Introductory post from Kansas

EgcelEgcel Posts: 5
edited November 2013 in EggHead Forum

Hello all, 

I've been enjoying the free eggducation and all of the pictures here so I thought I would post my appreciation.  I've only owned my Large egg for 3 weeks but have managed to cook several quality meals, meatloaf, butterflied pork loin, spatchcock chicken, steaks, and now pair of 6 1/2 pound pork butts.

There was no ground breaking method used here for the pulled pork.  Both were covered with mustard, one was rubbed with Head Country dry rub and the other rubbed with someones rub recipe I copied from the forums. The egg was set for indirect cooking with a drip pan on the platesetter.  The butts were placed on the V-rack fat side up.  They were actually touching in the center in the rack.  You can see from the only picture I took how much they shrunk during the cook. 

I put them on the egg last night at 9:30 pm and pulled them from the egg at 9 am this morning.  I was shooting for 250 dome temp but it crept up and ran at 300 for a couple of hours before I got it to start dropping.  I went to bed and woke up with the dome temp sitting on 250.  After the internal temp hit 190 or so I got impatient and kicked the temp up to 300 until the internal temp of 200 when I removed it from the egg and FTC until I pulled the pork at 11:30.  

It was the best pulled pork I've ever made and fell apart as I pulled it.  Thank you all for sharing your experiences, it is appreciated.

Comments

• HotchHotch Posts: 1,527

I used to live around Kingman when I was a young lad. It would close about 10:00 pm. 

Welcome to the herd.

"You’re not a real Texan till you’ve been kicked out of every decent state in America." - Joe Bob Briggs

LBGE, Mini BGE and R&V Fryer

Prosper TX

And your are correct, Texas Red has no Beans

• Welcome to the lifestyle @Egcel. Looking forward to more of your cooks.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • lousubcaplousubcap Posts: 6,913
    Welcome aboard and enjoy the journey!  Great start!
    Louisville   L & S BGEs 
  • Welcome to the life style and enjoy the ride!!!
    2 Large Eggs and a Mini 2 Pit Bulls and a Pork shoulder or butt nearby and 100% SICILIAN
    Long Island N.Y.
  • Nice looking butts! Welcome from a newbie to Egging as well.
    Cherry Hill, NJ
  • Welcome !  Watch out for Mickey and Henapple.  They're troublemakers.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• EggcelsiorEggcelsior Posts: 11,550
    Egcel...Egcel...Egcel...

I feel like we are related...
  • RACRAC Posts: 1,527
    Welcome aboard! Enjoy

Ricky

Spring, TX

• henapplehenapple Posts: 14,687
    Welcome... Love Head Country. On my ribs tonight.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • bud812bud812 Posts: 1,462
    Welcome.  ^:)^

Not to get technical, but according to chemistry alcohol is a solution...

Large & Small BGE

Stockton Ca.

• EgcelEgcel Posts: 5
    Thank you all for the warm welcome.  
  • GoatseggGoatsegg Posts: 108
    Good looking cook. Welcome to the forum.

-The Goat
    Marietta, GA
    XL BGE

• MickeyMickey Posts: 16,504
    Welcome to our world. Nice cook
    Salado TX Egg Family: 2 Large and a very well used Mini, just added a Mini Max (I'm good for now). 

• Sorry to be late but welcome to the club. I'm in Wichita, where are you located?
    XL owner in Wichita, KS
  • 500500 Posts: 1,798
    Welcome to the family.  Has anyone explained the initiation rituals yet?
    Large BGE; Midlothian, Virginia
    I like Pig Butts and I can not lie.
    "Barbecue is a journey, one meal at a time."
  • What @500 said! Welcome, albeit a day or two late... Nice looking cook!
    Delta B.C. - Vee-Gan: old Indian word for poor hunter. 
  • What a clean Egg!  Welcome, it will get dirty.

XLBGE X 2, LBGE, MBGE and lots of toys

• Welcome bud. Nice looking butts
  • EgcelEgcel Posts: 5

Uh.. I hadn't heard about any initiation rituals.   :-S  

@jccbone62 I'm in Chanute, 2 hours from everywhere.

Thanks again all