Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Big Green Egg vs Large Weber Grill

Hi

I'm close to purchasing a large Big Green Egg for my girlfriend.  I've been second guessing myself as she bought a large gas Weber grill last year, but her best friend told me they saw the BGE at an event a few months back and loved it.  Can I get the forum feedback on the benefits of having BGE (vs. Weber grill)?  It's a pricey purchase - I'm hoping she love it.

Thanks
LGBEFAN1974

Comments

• robnybbq
    robnybbq Posts: 1,911
    I had a nice shiny Weber Propane Genesis with side burner grill.  Had it for 2 years.  I then bought a BGE - I used the gasser once a month later and then never again.  I should put it on craigslist as its collecting dust now.

Garnerville, NY
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Gas grills make a great landing spot for hot plate setters and grids. Also works well for a warming table for dutch oven stews and chili off the egg.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • No comparison in my mind.  Better tasting food and much more versatility.  If she enjoys cooking, she will love it.  Go For It.

Damascus, VA.  Friendliest town on the Appalachian Trail.

LBGE Aug 2012, SBGE Feb 2014

• BigWader
    BigWader Posts: 673

She's a keeper!!!

Toronto, Canada

Large BGE, Small BGE

• bo31210
    bo31210 Posts: 715
    Trying to compare a Bugatti to a Yugo. Seriously though, if her best friend told you, in my experience, that is a direct hint. Don't miss the hint. Bad things could happen.
    In the middle of Georgia!    Geaux Tigers!!!!!
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    edited November 2013
    Got rid of my gas grill shortly after getting an Egg. Now have two. Never looked back. Of course you are going to get some bias responses on an Egg forum.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• BigWader
    BigWader Posts: 673

Seriously though - there is a bit of "work" with the Egg - set ups are a bit different for every cook - there is charcoal - dusty and black - you need to light up, get it going then damper down to get in range of final temp - with a gasser you light, set the dials where you think it needs to be and go for it. 

The quality of the food is outstanding, the versatility is awesome (pizzas, bread, slow bbq, hot searing for steaks, and everything in between) but if she likes simple - the egg is just over the line from simple in my opinion.

You know her personality.  If it is about the techniques, and pursuit of higher level cooking the Egg is where it's at.  If she likes good food, but doesn't like much of the experience of cooking - I'd feel her out some more about it first.

Toronto, Canada

Large BGE, Small BGE

• I have a Webber built in 6 burner that all I use it for is  storage of all my BGE eggsocories  I know have 2 LBGE's and have no use for my Webber anymore 
    2 Large Eggs and a Mini 2 Pit Bulls and a Pork shoulder or butt nearby and 100% SICILIAN
    Long Island N.Y.
  • JohnB
    JohnB Posts: 183
    I'd like to second the above comment. I had a good friend and her boyfriend come over for dinner. She was in the market for a grill and was wondering about the egg. The second she saw me get on my knees with a bent wire to clear out the grate she said "forget it". She loved the meal but had no interest in some of the "techniques" the egg requires.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,170
    @BigWader made a few key points with regard to the BGE.  Now, if this purchase is just a pit-stop on the path to you ending up with the BGE then don't worry about anything and go for it.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • I have 3 Weber products, one being a Genesis gasser. I use it for quick weeknight cooks and I love the side burner. My wife will use it too as she won't touch charcoal. Very convenient. Put me on a desert island and I'll choose the BGE any day but the gasser has its place IMHO. Everyone's needs are different.
    In the  Hinterlands between Cumming and Gainesville, GA
    Med BGE, Weber Kettle, Weber Smokey Joe, Brinkman Dual Zone, Weber Genesis Gas Grill and portable gasser for boating
  • txav8r
    txav8r Posts: 153
    BigWader said:

Seriously though - there is a bit of "work" with the Egg - set ups are a bit different for every cook - there is charcoal - dusty and black - you need to light up, get it going then damper down to get in range of final temp - with a gasser you light, set the dials where you think it needs to be and go for it. 

The quality of the food is outstanding, the versatility is awesome (pizzas, bread, slow bbq, hot searing for steaks, and everything in between) but if she likes simple - the egg is just over the line from simple in my opinion.

You know her personality.  If it is about the techniques, and pursuit of higher level cooking the Egg is where it's at.  If she likes good food, but doesn't like much of the experience of cooking - I'd feel her out some more about it first.

JohnB said:
    I'd like to second the above comment. I had a good friend and her boyfriend come over for dinner. She was in the market for a grill and was wondering about the egg. The second she saw me get on my knees with a bent wire to clear out the grate she said "forget it". She loved the meal but had no interest in some of the "techniques" the egg requires.

Both of these posts are accurate.  But for the guy or gal that wants more capability than the weber can give, the egg is in top running.  It is ashame I came all the way to the egg however, to learn about temp control.  I don't think grid temp control is really possible on a gas grill.  I had a 3 burner weber that gave me 15 years of great service.  It is quick, easy, and uh...fast...nothing accurate about it however.  Now, had I known the need to cook to temp, I probably could have prevented a few overcooked meals.  But the weber will never give the moist and tenderness of what you can do in the egg.  Example of normal weber cooking...steaks.  You really sear to temp on a weber, yeah, you can turn the middle burner off and reduce overall heat, but just the way it cooks will dry the meat out, and it is hugely affected by outdoor conditions vs the egg.

If her desire is better food, and the prep is considered part of the experience, she will love egging.  But if you don't enjoy the process, it will be work.  Quick story...my wife saw the egg as an expensive toy, since we already had a great grill.  We haven't had more than 10-11 cooks so far, and she loves the egg and what it produces.  I have cooked a brisket, spatchcocked chicken, grilled veggies, grilled asparagus, smoked (baked) squash, baked potatoes, filets, salmon, a pot roast, and chili (this week).  Each of these were just better than we had ever had before anywhere!  My wife loves drifting in and out to check on the progress and share conversation and a glass of wine while I am tending the cook.  On the long cooks, like brisket or a pork butt, your watching a temp readout from a probe mostly until almost done, on stews or chilis, it is a more hands on process. Of course, the faster direct cooks are more like the weber, but the indirect cooks you do on the egg can't really be done on a gas grill, at least not my weber.  So it is just a different way to do it and just like most everyone in this thread...I haven't used my weber since I set up the egg!  I still use my weber tools however.

Just far enough north of DFW to be "rural"...and close enough to be urban, depending on my mood.
  • Hoov
    Hoov Posts: 264
    Better tasting food and way more fun to cook on. I used a gasser before I got the Egg and maybe grilled twice a week. There is no comparison when it comes to flavor and versatility in a cooker, and it will last you a lifetime. Now I cook EVERYTHING on the Egg. Here are some things you can do with the Egg to hopefully push you in the right direction.

Smoke big meats low n' slow:

Grill with direct heat:

Roast with indirect heat; 

Bake:

And even pizza:

I agree with others though regarding the process that comes with having an Egg. You have to like the process of stirring up the lump charcoal from the previous day's cook and relighting. I personally enjoy it, and I get to play with fire!

Good luck with your decision. We are a bit obsessed here, but with good reason to be.

Be warned though, you or your girlfriend might start taking photos of all of your meals if you get an Egg.

- Proud owner of a Large BGE
    - Norman, OK
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    I may be the 1 voice of dissension here.

Are you talking about a gas or charcoal Weber? Does she like to cook on charcoal? I would suggest getting her the Weber One Touch Gold kettle grill if she is unfamiliar with charcoal. Then get her the egg when you get engaged! :)

This is just my opinion (and worth exactly what you paid for it),but an egg is like a luxury car. Sure, a 16yo can learn to drive in it, but your sphincters are clenched whenever they are at the wheel. They are probably just as tense. Learn how to drive on something not as pricey, the get something more blingy when you're confident. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    I've been reading this forum for about a year now and it seems these threads keep popping up. Kinda curious :-?
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • Jeremiah said:
    I've been reading this forum for about a year now and it seems these threads keep popping up. Kinda curious :-?
    There must be an alternate universe (aka a "Weber" forum) where the same questions are being asked.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.

Without a doubt, the Egg is more capable and more versatile - especially in cold weather. It is expensive and if you are really into it, it's worth every penny.

The Egg requires more effort and if you are willing to expend the effort, the results are better than kettle or gas.

The fact that your significant other is even interested in grilling sets her apart. I say, ask her what she wants and execute.

In the  Hinterlands between Cumming and Gainesville, GA
    Med BGE, Weber Kettle, Weber Smokey Joe, Brinkman Dual Zone, Weber Genesis Gas Grill and portable gasser for boating
  • caliking
    Jeremiah said:
    There's always the chance that the mothership started the thread (OP post count= 1) :D

Watch it get pinned as an announcement shortly...

• Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424

Correct me if I'm wrong, but you are asking about buying her an Egg to compliment the Weber gasser she already has, correct?  This isn't a strictly either/or question, it is more about how the Egg may compliment/replace the Weber.

In that case, I think you need to think about her habits - do you think she will enjoy the process, and does her schedule allow her to enjoy it?  I think the 2nd is possibly the more important question - I didn't get my egg until I had to start going into work by 6:30 so I'd be able to pick our daughter up after school, and we'd be getting home at 4.  We made the investment in a Weber Genesis because I didn't have the time to do the process and needed to be able to be ready to cook in 5 minutes.  As a follow on, does she have the patience to wait for the Egg to be ready?  While it is true that you can make food that is better on the Egg, I would also argue that if you don't wait and get the acrid smoke taste, it is significantly worse. 

What does she like to cook or eat - if you're talking about improving burgers/steaks/chicken, I'm not sure the difference is worth the cost.  If she'll love the barbeque and low & slows, the option of baking without cranking the oven up in the middle of summer, etc, then it may be worth it.

Just speaking from my experience, I do prefer the Egg, as everyone has said you can make better food and the versatility can't be beat, but I haven't gone to it to the exclusion of the Weber.  If you think she'll appreciate the extra things she can do with it, and won't mind the extra set up time, then it should be a gift that will blow her socks off. 

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• yzzi
    yzzi Posts: 1,843
    I would just buy one for yourself in case, you know, things go south...
    Dunedin, FL
  • Thank you for all the feedback.  I can honestly say the "mother-ship" did not start this thread.   In reply to a recent poster - my thinking is the the Egg would somehow compliment her one (1) year old gas grill.  My girlfriend loves to cook and I think she would get a kick out of what you can make on the BGE.  I could simply ask her whether or not she wants the Egg but thought it would be better to just surprise her. 
  • KennyLee
    KennyLee Posts: 806

@Hoov Perfect post, man!

It's about quality but also complete and total versatility.  Webers are good gassers no question, but not anywhere near the versatility of the Egg.  After having the Egg, there's no way I'd limit myself again to just a gasser.  Like others have said, I got rid of mine also because it was never getting used.

LBGE

Cedar table w/granite top

Ceramic Grillworks two-tier swing rack

Perpetual cooler of ice-cold beer

• Guess she could always sell the Weber :-)
  • jhl192
    jhl192 Posts: 1,006
    edited November 2013
    I have a Weber and and XL BGE.  If I always had the time, I would never use the Weber.  The food off the BGE is better 100% of the time.  The gasser is more convenient so when I work late and just want to heat up a couple of hot dogs its the easier way to go.  I agree with YZZI,  buy one for yourself (with a platesetter) and cook for her.  Either that or give her a Ring and marry her first.  A prenup with BGE going to you is in order.  
    XL BGE; Medium BGE; L BGE 
  • txav8r
    txav8r Posts: 153
    Guess she could always sell the Weber :-)

Being only a year old, if it has been covered and kept clean, you could get a greater portion of your money back on the weber. 
    Just far enough north of DFW to be "rural"...and close enough to be urban, depending on my mood.
  • flynnbob
    flynnbob Posts: 665

I want to be your girlfriend ... Uh,  but I'm a guy,  and don't think the wife would appreciate that!

Here's my 2 cents - 1. Buy the egg for yourself.  2. Treat your girlfriend to a nice spa day with her bff  3. Prepare a romantic dinner. 

Admit it, you want the egg, she wants a ring,  so until that time comes, you can be the personal chef.

Milton, GA.
  • Just a follow up thank you to all for your thoughts/comments.  I bought the girlfriend a large BGE this weekend - surprise delivery set for the day before Thanksgiving!  
  • @lbgefan1974 - It will be interesting to see if she continues to use the Weber gasser, I'm betting she will. Might be a neanderthal thing of cooking with fire but us guys tend to get into the egg thing and forget about all the other great tools available. I would never be without a gasser. The side burner is ideal for reducing marinade or doing quick stir fries, it acts as both a direct and indirect oven with a good heat range at the same time, can roast delicate veggies without adding any smoke flavour, is unmatched as a warming oven and depending on the model, may have an infrared sear that rivals the egg.  
    The egg will see duty for low and slows, breads and pizza and anything you roast in the 325-450º range, it is unmatched. 
    Let us know how she likes the new egg. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • caliking
    She's a lucky girl! :)

• ads75
    ads75 Posts: 391
    My GF stopped using her gas grill once she tried the BGE food. If she wanted something grilled, she came over.

I bought a Holland grill about two years before my BGE. I hated it. Threw it out as soon as I got the Egg.
    Large BGE, Mini BGE
    Morgantown, PA