Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pig shots and ABTS????

Options
Having a cook out tomorrow and was wanting to prep the egg shots, ABTs and stuff mushrooms tonight. Put in cooler or fridge till tomorrow evening. Would they be ok? Thanks ahead of time!!!!

XL and Small

Chattanooga, TN

Comments

• Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options

Pig shots and ABTs will, mushrooms probably will depending on what you stuff them with. Make sure it isn't very liquid.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• robnybbq
    robnybbq Posts: 1,911
    Options
    Yes - those are very time consuming to make and we always make them the night before - covering  in plastic wrap and put into the fridge.

Garnerville, NY
  • Jebpot
    Jebpot Posts: 374
    Options
    Thanks for input.

XL and Small

Chattanooga, TN

• Cymbaline65
    Options
    ABTs are a staple starter here. Favorite is stuffed with cream cheese and chorizo sausage (equal amounts).
    In the  Hinterlands between Cumming and Gainesville, GA
    Med BGE, Weber Kettle, Weber Smokey Joe, Brinkman Dual Zone, Weber Genesis Gas Grill and portable gasser for boating
  • Hoov
    Hoov Posts: 264
    Options
    Chorizo in the ABTs sounds great. @Cymbaline65 do you cook it first?
    - Proud owner of a Large BGE
    - Norman, OK
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,337
    Options
    @Hoov-don't know about @Cymbaline65 and the chorizo but I always cook chorizo or any sausage before loading into ABT's.  That way when the bacon is done I know the ABT is "good to go".  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Hoov
    Hoov Posts: 264
    Options
    Thanks @lousubcap , that sounds reasonable to me!
    - Proud owner of a Large BGE
    - Norman, OK
  • Jebpot
    Jebpot Posts: 374
    Options
    What are some of y'all's combinations ??

XL and Small

Chattanooga, TN

• Cymbaline65
    Options
    Hoov said:
    Chorizo in the ABTs sounds great. @Cymbaline65 do you cook it first?

Nope. Mix 1/2 and 1/2 room temp cream cheese and Chorizo. Wrap with bacon (I prefer thin sliced), secure with toothpick. Sprinkle with favorite rub. I've used a variety of woods but I think Maple and Pecan are my favs for this combo. Always done all the way through. Be sure to use foil on your platesetter or a foil pan to catch any grease.

Problem is, now that I've done them for folks I feed, I'm now asked to bring them whenever we are invited somewhere...so beware! It's a great go-to starter.

In the  Hinterlands between Cumming and Gainesville, GA
    Med BGE, Weber Kettle, Weber Smokey Joe, Brinkman Dual Zone, Weber Genesis Gas Grill and portable gasser for boating
  • saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Options
    A tip my brother taught me when filling ABT is to put your filling into a zip lock bag and cut the corner off and squeeze it out.  Lot cleaner and much much easier.
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564
    Options

One thing we learned, if you have a lot to do, invest in a icing or pastry gun. It will let you fill from the bottom up. You can open the tip if needed.

Good luck on your cookout.

Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Options
    I do the pig shots the day prior, works out great as they are a pain to put together when you are hurrying to get them on the egg...

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options

A tip my brother taught me when filling ABT is to put your filling into a zip lock bag and cut the corner off and squeeze it out.  Lot cleaner and much much easier.

I fill my deviled eggs that way.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Socalcajudo
    Options
    @saluki2007. That is such a great idea. Thanks for that. I'm gonna have to try that out next time