Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT US Grand Prix

Any going to the USGP in Austin this weekend?
Hood Stars, Wrist Crowns and Obsession Dobs!

Comments

• No, but I'll rent you a room for $300 a night.  With the race and the UT game, no rooms left in town.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    The Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 22,951
    edited November 2013
    If you can find a room for $300, grab it and flip it for double. $600 for the la Quinta at the airport today. I went last year and I have say- coolest cars I have ever seen. They were like rockets with wheels. The event was boring though. You end up watching most of it on big screens because the venue is so large. Cars scream by in 4 seconds (super cool) but then You watch tv for 3 minutes until they come back again. All the passing is done in the pits so the racing on track very predictable. They say a single pass for the lead on the track is almost unheard of in F1. Last year Vettel won from the pole. Not a single lead change all day. Not my deal but the cars are unreal.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • sumoconnell
    sumoconnell Posts: 1,932
    Big weekend in Austin - if Texas beats OSU Saturday fanfest will be nuts and bleed right into Sunday.  85 degrees also.. it will be hot in DKR.

I'm going to my kids swim meet at A&M saturday, will miss the party.  I'm going to find a way to rig the UT game onto the internets so I can get it on my phone.  I have watchespn, might be good enough.
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Austin, Texas.  I'm the guy holding a beer.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    edited November 2013
    Oh yeah- my sister's 50 th bday is Saturday night so my BIL decided to invite their friends to Austin about 4 days ago for a surprise party. He called me Wed and said "....uh hey, is something going on this weekend in Austin? We can't get a room or a restaurant reservation Saturday" :)). Needless to say, we have a house full this weekend and looks like the egg will be fired up too. 
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    @sumoconnell I have tickets for Texas/Baylor. Sure hope they both Win out.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• berndcrisp
    berndcrisp Posts: 1,166
    In '93 when living in Italy we went to the San Marino and Italian GPs. The grounds at Monza are incredible. Yes the races can be hard to follow because the track is so big but the cars are out of this world.
    Hood Stars, Wrist Crowns and Obsession Dobs!

• sumoconnell
    sumoconnell Posts: 1,932
    Mickey said:
    @sumoconnell I have tickets for Texas/Baylor. Sure hope they both Win out.
    I will happily eat crow if they win out!  Concerned about loss of Whaley and Grey... that's our best player on each side.

I went to a different F1 early last year - same experience as cen-tex.  The experience was a blast, but I couldn't tell what was happening after the first lap.  It was a bunch of real fast, real loud, real cool cars going by.  I'd do it again for the price I paid, but in ATX the price doesn't justify.. 
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Austin, Texas.  I'm the guy holding a beer.
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    The practice runs are fun to watch. My parking garage for work was adjacent to a turn for the Baltimore Grand Prix. I could literally walk right up to the catch fence and watch them come up Paca and head down the main straightaway on Pratt. It was an IndyCar event but the LeMans series cars were pretty cool. I'd go out at lunch time on Thursday and Friday before they started the races over the weekend.
  • Another exciting race. Same dude, same pole position, same win. his lead was "never threatened" according to USA Today:

Vettel started from the pole position he snagged from teammate Mark Webber of Australia in the finals seconds of Saturday's qualifying.

The No. 1 spot proved important. Vettel's trademark quick start got him through the critical first turn ahead of the traffic and his lead was never threatened.

I-)
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    edited November 2013
    I love that the entire 4 hour race was decided in the first turn (about 10 seconds in). Cool cars, boring watch.

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    Love the Texas Toll Road 130 as the speed limit is 80mph. Went to the Austin Airport late yesterday and cops all over it at 71 and the next exit. Must have Something to do with the race.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• lakewade
    lakewade Posts: 385
    Mickey said:
    Love the Texas Toll Road 130 as the speed limit is 80mph.
    Actually it's 85 MPH on the 40 mile section from Mustang Ridge to Seguin and no po-po so you can do 100 if you want.  

-----------
    I feel a whole lot more like I do now than I did when I got here.
  • lakewade
    I love that the entire 4 hour race was decided in the first turn (about 10 seconds in). Cool cars, boring watch.

I don't get it either.  And like a thousand dollars a seat as well.  I just watched four football games and ate fajitas for basically free.  

-----------
  • Eggcelsior
    http://youtu.be/8DwXOPN7ZIM

I'm wondering if the Red Bull team will be formally accused of cheating with how they are playing with the KERS system. I first read about it in October and saw the video above with the grinding noise out of the turn that sounds like now-illegal traction control.
  • lakewade said:

I don't get it either.  And like a thousand dollars a seat as well.  I just watched four football games and ate fajitas for basically free.  
    at the race or at home? I had 2 free tix and didn't even go
  • http://youtu.be/8DwXOPN7ZIM I'm wondering if the Red Bull team will be formally accused of cheating with how they are playing with the KERS system. I first read about it in October and saw the video above with the grinding noise out of the turn that sounds like now-illegal traction control.
    I have no idea what that means or what that video was but I can guarantee you that all those cars will be in the exact same order next time around the track. 
  • lakewade
    at the race or at home? I had 2 free tix and didn't even go
    Home.

-----------
  • Eggcelsior
    Vettel is the first car in that video. KERS is a Kinetic Energy Recovery System(similar to regenerative braking) that is used for added acceleration in F1. There is a theory that says RB1 is somehow using it to act like traction control while bypassing the ECU that is supposed to be the same in all cars. Damn I love F1. Second most popular sport in the world.
  • Vettel is the first car in that video. KERS is a Kinetic Energy Recovery System(similar to regenerative braking) that is used for added acceleration in F1. There is a theory that says RB1 is somehow using it to act like traction control while bypassing the ECU that is supposed to be the same in all cars. Damn I love F1. Second most popular sport in the world.

Wish I had known this. You had free tix, a free place to stay and all you can eat brisket. I stayed home and drank beer. image
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,795
    I think you meant to write "Second most popular "sport" in the world."

It's not really a sport. Sports require athletes and the athletes do the work required to win. If they peddled the cars it would be a sport.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• Eggcelsior
    Foghorn said:

I think you meant to write "Second most popular "sport" in the world."

It's not really a sport. Sports require athletes and the athletes do the work required to win. If they peddled the cars it would be a sport.

Nevertheless, my point stands. It's still secondary to me compared to most. Sorta like golf. It still takes skill to drive with that much precision, golf or F1. Plus, at least they do more every race than just turn left. ;)
  • Foghorn
    Understood. I actually didn't know that the race was this weekend but I went to see the movie Rush on Saturday. I remember when Niki Lauda got burned when I was a kid. I thought the movie was pretty well done.

Maybe what makes it more popular than golf is the fact that when golfers mess up a swing they don't die.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• Eggcelsior
    Foghorn said:

Understood. I actually didn't know that the race was this weekend but I went to see the movie Rush on Saturday. I remember when Niki Lauda got burned when I was a kid. I thought the movie was pretty well done.

Maybe what makes it more popular than golf is the fact that when golfers mess up a swing they don't die.

Speaking of Lauda, he just drove by 3 years earlier while Roger Williamson burned to death. His response to why he didn't stop? "I'm paid to race". Good thing his other drivers have short memories.

Senna dying is one of the saddest events in motorsport.
  • Vettel is the first car in that video. KERS is a Kinetic Energy Recovery System(similar to regenerative braking) that is used for added acceleration in F1. There is a theory that says RB1 is somehow using it to act like traction control while bypassing the ECU that is supposed to be the same in all cars. Damn I love F1. Second most popular sport in the world.

So what you are really saying is that on a global stage F1 is slightly less interesting than soccer. I wholeheartedly concur :)).
  • Foghorn

"So what you are really saying is that on a global stage F1 is slightly less interesting than soccer. I wholeheartedly concur :)). "

I guess my behavior supports that.  I didn't bother to go the F1 race in Austin (80 miles away), but I have tickets to 3 World Cup matches in Brazil in June.

San Antonio, TX

• Eggcelsior
    Vettel is the first car in that video. KERS is a Kinetic Energy Recovery System(similar to regenerative braking) that is used for added acceleration in F1. There is a theory that says RB1 is somehow using it to act like traction control while bypassing the ECU that is supposed to be the same in all cars. Damn I love F1. Second most popular sport in the world.
    So what you are really saying is that on a global stage F1 is slightly less interesting than soccer. I wholeheartedly concur :)).
    You and your Jerry-tinted glasses. 

I see your true colors CT. I'm never listening to you again. Sweet Pom Poms.
  • Eggcelsior
    @Foghorn, that will be an epic experience. I think that this is the one time in our modern age that this word is appropriately used. Beiber it up!
    You and your Jerry-tinted glasses. 

I see your true colors CT. I'm never listening to you again. Sweet Pom Poms.
    You shouldn't have been listening to me in the first place. And they are not Pom-Poms. They are spirit streamers. jeez
  • Eggcelsior
    Shoot. I retract my statement. Carry on good sir!
  • Foghorn
    Yeah, we're really looking forward to it.  We went to the 2010 World Cup in South Africa - saw 5 matches and went on safari in 3 different areas.  It was the best thing we have ever done as a family and something that we will remember forever.  Brazil should be great as well as the local fervor for the sport will exceed what we saw in South Africa.  We're going with a colleague who is Brazilian and will visit the Amazon for a few days before we head to the beach and the soccer matches.  It might be the last great trip we take with our kids as my daughter is a college freshman and my son is a high school junior.  I'm not exactly sure what "Beiber it up" means, but it is possible that we will have a caipirinha or two while we are there.

San Antonio, TX