Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Are you happy it’s finally National BBQ Month? While we like to BBQ year round, May is our favorite because the whole country is celebrating delicious food. If you’re new to cooking BBQ on your EGG, check out our Smoking Basics Publication...if not, proceed to some of our favorite recipes! We love Dr. BBQ’s Coffee Rubbed Brisket, Famous Dave’s Sticky Ribs and Virginia Willis’ Pulled Pork. Pair with this cheesy favorite for a winning way to start off May!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

XL BGE paired with a Party Q

Would the Party Q from BBQ Guru be sufficient enough to control the temps on an XL BGE? I just like the idea of not relying on a power source and having a device that runs on batteries. I keep good rechargeable batteries around the house and plan to possibly run a Party Q with them. I'm thinking of eventually matching my Party Q with the BGE dual probe thermometer(basically same as the Maverick) ... as the perfect set it and forget it setup. Unless you folks sway my decision, the Party Q is going on my X-Mas wish list.
My PitMaster IQ120 FREAKIN ROCKS!!!!!!! Current BGE arsenal: XL & MiniMax
·

Comments

• DMWDMW Posts: 6,411
    edited November 2013
    I have been told by a BGE dealer I respect the PartyQ blower is too small for the XL.
    My Facebook Place where I document my cooking
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - Hasty Bake Legacy - Black Stone Pizza Oven - Gasser - 30" Firepit w/SS Cooking Grid
    ·
  • That's exactly the answer I was afraid I might hear ... would love to hear from anyone who has tried this combo
    ·
  • JebpotJebpot Posts: 343
    I have the partyQ, have used it on several overnights without problems. Other than putting new batteries on every cook. Converting mine to a power supply.

XL and Small

Chattanooga, TN

·
    @Jebpot How do you have your DFMT set the XL with the PartyQ? I have the Mac 732 and this combo might be the trick.
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - Hasty Bake Legacy - Black Stone Pizza Oven - Gasser - 30" Firepit w/SS Cooking Grid
    ·
  • I'm not following ... DFMT?
    ·
  • It has a 6.5 CFM fan. I know the 10CFM does great on the XL (even getting it up to temp). If you manually get the XL up to temp, I would think the 6.5 would be enough to keep it going through the night. You could call Guru and talk to Kenny, he will give you a definite answer
    ·
  • Mickey have me his party q. I use it all the Tim in my xl. Works great.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
    ·
    @RickyBobby DFMT = Dual Function Metal Top, the cast iron topper.

Morgantown, PA

·
  • PartyQ and XL pair very well.  Just try to get XL to near desired temp.  And the PartyQ will keep it at whatever temp you need.  I attach my wire to the temperature gauge inside and through the top damper.  Close damper enough to allow wire to go through.  If you are doing a long cook, then just check the batteries.  Otherwise, depending how well you previously regulate the temperature, the fan can work 15+ hours without changing batteries.

-XLBGE, partyQ
    ·
  • Glad to hear that what I'm wanting is very doable.
    ·