Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We hope everyone’s enjoying the first few days of summer. For us, the weather heating up means one thing - the EGG’s gonna be busy! Whether you’re making stuffed burgers for a backyard grill out, some brats before a baseball game or searing a steak for dinner on the patio, we hope you’re doing it with full flavor and having fun all the while!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

XL BGE paired with a Party Q

Would the Party Q from BBQ Guru be sufficient enough to control the temps on an XL BGE? I just like the idea of not relying on a power source and having a device that runs on batteries. I keep good rechargeable batteries around the house and plan to possibly run a Party Q with them. I'm thinking of eventually matching my Party Q with the BGE dual probe thermometer(basically same as the Maverick) ... as the perfect set it and forget it setup. Unless you folks sway my decision, the Party Q is going on my X-Mas wish list.
My PitMaster IQ120 FREAKIN ROCKS!!!!!!! Current BGE arsenal: XL & MiniMax
·

Comments

• DMWDMW Posts: 6,789
    edited November 2013
    I have been told by a BGE dealer I respect the PartyQ blower is too small for the XL.
    My Facebook Place where I document my cooking
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - Hasty Bake Legacy - Black Stone Pizza Oven - Gasser - 30" Firepit w/SS Cooking Grid
    ·
  • That's exactly the answer I was afraid I might hear ... would love to hear from anyone who has tried this combo
    ·
  • JebpotJebpot Posts: 344
    I have the partyQ, have used it on several overnights without problems. Other than putting new batteries on every cook. Converting mine to a power supply.

XL and Small

Chattanooga, TN

·
    @Jebpot How do you have your DFMT set the XL with the PartyQ? I have the Mac 732 and this combo might be the trick.
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - Hasty Bake Legacy - Black Stone Pizza Oven - Gasser - 30" Firepit w/SS Cooking Grid
    ·
  • I'm not following ... DFMT?
    ·
  • It has a 6.5 CFM fan. I know the 10CFM does great on the XL (even getting it up to temp). If you manually get the XL up to temp, I would think the 6.5 would be enough to keep it going through the night. You could call Guru and talk to Kenny, he will give you a definite answer
    ·
  • Mickey have me his party q. I use it all the Tim in my xl. Works great.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
    ·
    @RickyBobby DFMT = Dual Function Metal Top, the cast iron topper.

Morgantown, PA

·
  • PartyQ and XL pair very well.  Just try to get XL to near desired temp.  And the PartyQ will keep it at whatever temp you need.  I attach my wire to the temperature gauge inside and through the top damper.  Close damper enough to allow wire to go through.  If you are doing a long cook, then just check the batteries.  Otherwise, depending how well you previously regulate the temperature, the fan can work 15+ hours without changing batteries.

-XLBGE, partyQ
    ·
  • Glad to hear that what I'm wanting is very doable.
    ·