Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First Reverse Sear Ribeye

Options
lantzwr
lantzwr Posts: 229
edited November 2013 in EggHead Forum
Egged my first reverse sear ribeye tonight.  Shook a little sea salt and some of our special spices on the steaks.  Cooked them indirect at 300 F until an internal temperature of about 120 F.  Seared on the CI grate at 700 F for about a minute on each side.  The most tender delicious steak I have ever had.  It was just a normal cut of meat from BJ's, nothing special.  Not sure I will ever eat a ribeye any other way.
RobLarge BGE, Merritt Island, (Space Coast of Florida)

Boiler UP

Comments

• CP92
    CP92 Posts: 324
    Options
    That'll eat for sure.
    Chris
    LBGE
    Hughesville, MD
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Options
    Nice job, reverse sear is the way to go for sure.

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    Nice job, I used reverse sear for some tiny little steaks we had in the freezer this week. Not sure if it helped, but they were gone quickly.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • pigoutsc
    Options
    Very, Very Nice!

• lantzwr
    Options
    Thanks all.

Boiler UP
  • roblew
    roblew Posts: 78
    Options
    That looks great!
    Ringgold GA LBGE
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    Welcome to the light, friend. Reverse sear is my favorite too.
  • Skiddymarker
    Options
    Well done, the cook - not the steaks - they look fantastic. 
    Some folks do not care for a smoke touch on their steaks, I do. Try the indirect part of the cook at 250º, will take longer to come up to the 120º you pilled at, but does give more time for the smoke and the seasonings to work their magic. 

Sounds stupid but if the resting steaks develop surface moisture, dab them with a paper towel to dry before the sear. The color and crust will be even better. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • jfarley
    jfarley Posts: 145
    Options
    In the last year I've become a true believer in the reverse sear. Agree with others about lowering the indirect part to 250 or even 230. I've also revised my technique to pull the meat at 115 internal and going a bit longer on the sear. Small nuances to a proven technique.
    LBGE - July 2012
    Valencia, CA
  • lantzwr
    Options
    It was a little too done for my liking, but was still incredibly tender.  I will definitely cook it at a little lower temp, and pull it earlier next time.  They were a little moist when I put them on to sear, so I definitely will pat them dry before searing.  Thanks for all the tips.

Boiler UP
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    The reverse sear is the greatest cooking technique on the BGE
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95